Re: upgrading from bind 8.x to 9.x - SUN

This is a discussion on Re: upgrading from bind 8.x to 9.x - SUN ; In article , Doug McIntyre wrote: >loic-dev@gmx.net writes: >>we want to upgrade the DNS-daemon BIND on our Sparc / Solaris 9 >>(Sun-Fire-280R) from BIND 8.x to BIND 9.x. > >>I would like to know the efforts required for such an ...

  1. Re: upgrading from bind 8.x to 9.x

    In article <4394afc5$0$245$892e0abb@auth.newsreader.octanews.c om>,
    Doug McIntyre wrote:
    >loic-dev@gmx.net writes:
    >>we want to upgrade the DNS-daemon BIND on our Sparc / Solaris 9
    >>(Sun-Fire-280R) from BIND 8.x to BIND 9.x.

    >>I would like to know the efforts required for such an upgrade. Is it a
    >>matter of installing a package (found e.g. on
    >>http://www.sunfreeware.com/) and restarting the service? Or is it more
    >>complicated requiring to install/recompile many other libraries?

    >No, no libraries should need touching.
    >
    >It might be as easy as de-installing the old package, and installing
    >the new package. The main config file has changed very slightly in a
    >small number of areas, but you probably won't be affected by it in
    >most installations.

    BIND 9 comes with the utilities 'named-checkconf' and 'named-checkzone'
    so you can check the config file ahead of time.
    --
    Tom Schulz
    schulz@adi.com

  2. Re: upgrading from bind 8.x to 9.x

    Hello Doug, Hello Thomas,

    Thanks for your response.

    > >It might be as easy as de-installing the old package, and installing
    > >the new package. The main config file has changed very slightly in a
    > >small number of areas, but you probably won't be affected by it in
    > >most installations.
    > >

    > BIND 9 comes with the utilities 'named-checkconf' and 'named-checkzone'
    > so you can check the config file ahead of time.

    I was asked to preserve, if possible, the current chroot-environment of
    BIND. Do I have to perform some changes in the config file, and can I
    just re-use the 8.x one?

    I will in any case run the named-checkconf and named-checkzone
    utilities...

    TIA,
    Loic.

  3. Re: upgrading from bind 8.x to 9.x

    In article <1134545909.863236.15250@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>,
    wrote:
    >Hello Doug, Hello Thomas,
    >
    >Thanks for your response.
    >
    >> >It might be as easy as de-installing the old package, and installing
    >> >the new package. The main config file has changed very slightly in a
    >> >small number of areas, but you probably won't be affected by it in
    >> >most installations.
    >> >

    >> BIND 9 comes with the utilities 'named-checkconf' and 'named-checkzone'
    >> so you can check the config file ahead of time.

    >I was asked to preserve, if possible, the current chroot-environment of
    >BIND. Do I have to perform some changes in the config file, and can I
    >just re-use the 8.x one?

    I have never used a chroot-environment, so I don't know. The best thing
    would be to get the BIND 9 distribution and read the documentation. There
    is a very good set of documentation in the doc/arm directory. You would
    point a web browser at the Bv9ARM.html file. There is a section on
    chroot.

    --
    Tom Schulz
    schulz@adi.com