Best software RAID 1 configuration - SUN

This is a discussion on Best software RAID 1 configuration - SUN ; Hello, I have a database server with external storage for the database, which is managed by the db and I don't worry about it. Now, I have two disks for the OS (solaris 10). I want to put those two ...

  1. Best software RAID 1 configuration

    Hello,

    I have a database server with external storage for the database, which
    is managed by the db and I don't worry about it.

    Now, I have two disks for the OS (solaris 10).

    I want to put those two disks in RAID 1 software raid to prevent single
    point of failure.

    I did put software raid on several machines, but with more than two disks.

    Now I want to know if we can do a 2 disks, crash safe configuration.

    For example, I hard remove a disk while the system is running, I just
    wanna receive and email about it, everything continuing on a single
    disk. I replace disk, and poof, everything back to normal.

    This is the ideal scenario, now I seek advice about it.

    Regards

    Kuon

  2. Re: Best software RAID 1 configuration

    Kuon wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a database server with external storage for the database, which
    > is managed by the db and I don't worry about it.
    >
    > Now, I have two disks for the OS (solaris 10).
    >
    > I want to put those two disks in RAID 1 software raid to prevent single
    > point of failure.
    >
    > I did put software raid on several machines, but with more than two disks.
    >
    > Now I want to know if we can do a 2 disks, crash safe configuration.
    >
    > For example, I hard remove a disk while the system is running, I just
    > wanna receive and email about it, everything continuing on a single
    > disk. I replace disk, and poof, everything back to normal.
    >
    > This is the ideal scenario, now I seek advice about it.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Kuon

    Use SDS, now called Volume Manager. It's included with Solaris 10 and
    there's plenty of info on docs.sun.com or you can hit the Sun
    Blueprints site and download the mirroring package that has a set of
    scripts to run and it will setup the mirror for you.

+ Reply to Thread