XP NTFS Index File System polluted? - Storage

This is a discussion on XP NTFS Index File System polluted? - Storage ; I am running XP Pro and NTFS partitions with dual boot. I have resorted to having a dual boot partition because my main primary XP Partition is horribly slow in starting and accessing apps and even using CCLEANER. I have ...

  1. XP NTFS Index File System polluted?

    I am running XP Pro and NTFS partitions with dual boot. I have resorted
    to having a dual boot partition because my main primary XP Partition is
    horribly slow in starting and accessing apps and even using CCLEANER.

    I have run Chkdsk and Scannow and the problem with the file system is
    still there. When running Scanndisk, the Verifying index is also very
    very slow (Stage 2). Stuck at 0 % for about 15+ minutes if not longer.
    Level 1 out of 3 scan is fast enough (verifying files).

    The above is in contrast to my other partitition that I use which is
    very fast however, I have noticed it is beginning to get bogged down the
    more apps I install. I have run some disk utilities and the actual
    drive speeds are nominal so I have concluded the problem is I must have
    junk or other files messed up from about 24 months + worth of running
    registry cleaners. I also ran disk defragmenter and I have adjusted
    the MFT file size automatically with a 3rd party disk defragmenter which
    I uninstalled several months ago.

    Is there any way of further checking and repairing the file system
    without having to do a complete reformat?

    Thx

  2. Re: XP NTFS Index File System polluted?

    On Nov 5, 2:12*am, "Huh" wrote:
    > I am running XP Pro and NTFS partitions with dual boot. *I have resorted
    > to having a dual boot partition because my main primary XP Partition is
    > horribly slow in starting and accessing apps and even using CCLEANER.
    >
    > I have run Chkdsk and Scannow and the problem with the file system is
    > still there. *When running Scanndisk, the Verifying index is also very
    > very slow (Stage 2). *Stuck at 0 % for about 15+ minutes if not longer.
    > Level 1 out of 3 scan is fast enough (verifying files).
    >
    > The above is in contrast to my other partitition that I use which is
    > very fast however, I have noticed it is beginning to get bogged down the
    > more apps I install. *I have run some disk utilities and the actual
    > drive speeds are nominal so I have concluded the problem is I must have
    > junk or other files messed up from about 24 months + worth of running
    > registry cleaners. * I also ran disk defragmenter and I have adjusted
    > the MFT file size automatically with a 3rd party disk defragmenter which
    > I uninstalled several months ago.
    >
    > Is there any way of further checking and repairing the file system
    > without having to do a complete reformat?
    >
    > Thx

    You could have failing sectors in important areas on the problem
    partition that are causing many retries.

    Michael
    www.cnwrecovery.com

  3. Re: XP NTFS Index File System polluted?

    mscotgrove@aol.com wrote:
    ::
    : You could have failing sectors in important areas on the problem
    : partition that are causing many retries.

    How would I know for sure? HDTUNE is not showing any anomolies. Partition
    magic the same. I did notice a difference in speed when diskeeper changed
    the MFT volume a while back.

  4. Re: XP NTFS Index File System polluted?

    Chris Hill wrote:
    :
    : Find the manufacturer of the drive, download their utility and test
    : the drive. It could be hardware.

    It's a Maxtor, a few years old. I have already downloaded it and ran the
    utility. No deficiencies found. It's almost like the drive isn't
    running in DMA 5 mode but all diagnostics show it is.

  5. Re: XP NTFS Index File System polluted?

    Probably not. Some registry cleaners are worse than others and all of them
    do some harm. It would probably be a good idea to back up what you need and
    do a clean install. Then find one cleaner and stick with just that one
    instead of trying different ones. Look for one that does the least damage.

    wrote in message
    >I am running XP Pro and NTFS partitions with dual boot. I have resorted
    > to having a dual boot partition because my main primary XP Partition is
    > horribly slow in starting and accessing apps and even using CCLEANER.
    >
    > I have run Chkdsk and Scannow and the problem with the file system is
    > still there. When running Scanndisk, the Verifying index is also very
    > very slow (Stage 2). Stuck at 0 % for about 15+ minutes if not longer.
    > Level 1 out of 3 scan is fast enough (verifying files).
    >
    > The above is in contrast to my other partitition that I use which is
    > very fast however, I have noticed it is beginning to get bogged down the
    > more apps I install. I have run some disk utilities and the actual
    > drive speeds are nominal so I have concluded the problem is I must have
    > junk or other files messed up from about 24 months + worth of running
    > registry cleaners. I also ran disk defragmenter and I have adjusted
    > the MFT file size automatically with a 3rd party disk defragmenter which
    > I uninstalled several months ago.
    >
    > Is there any way of further checking and repairing the file system
    > without having to do a complete reformat?
    >
    > Thx

  6. Re: XP NTFS Index File System polluted?

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Huh wrote:
    > mscotgrove@aol.com wrote:
    > ::
    > : You could have failing sectors in important areas on the problem
    > : partition that are causing many retries.

    > How would I know for sure? HDTUNE is not showing any anomolies. Partition
    > magic the same. I did notice a difference in speed when diskeeper changed
    > the MFT volume a while back.

    That is not the way to check yoru disk. Use a SMART tool and
    run a long selftest. Then look at the SMART attributes.
    If there are "pending secors", then you have unreadables.

    Arno

  7. Re: XP NTFS Index File System polluted?

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    :: That is not the way to check yoru disk. Use a SMART tool and
    :: run a long selftest. Then look at the SMART attributes.
    :: If there are "pending secors", then you have unreadables.

    Hmm. The Seagate tool with long self test only shows pass or failed.

    Can you recommend one that allows you to read the attributes?

  8. Re: XP NTFS Index File System polluted?

    Hoppalong Dweeb wrote:
    :: Probably not. Some registry cleaners are worse than others and all
    :: of them do some harm. It would probably be a good idea to back up
    :: what you need and do a clean install. Then find one cleaner and
    :: stick with just that one instead of trying different ones. Look for
    :: one that does the least damage.

    I'm thinking the same thing.....I think the least destructive registry
    cleaner is CCleaner while RegCure is probably the most destructive.

  9. Re: XP NTFS Index File System polluted?

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Huh wrote:
    > Arno Wagner wrote:
    > :: That is not the way to check yoru disk. Use a SMART tool and
    > :: run a long selftest. Then look at the SMART attributes.
    > :: If there are "pending secors", then you have unreadables.

    > Hmm. The Seagate tool with long self test only shows pass or failed.

    > Can you recommend one that allows you to read the attributes?

    I use the smartmontools (-> Google). Some people like Everest.

    Arno

  10. Re: XP NTFS Index File System polluted?

    Huh wrote:

    >I'm thinking the same thing.....I think the least destructive registry
    >cleaner is CCleaner while RegCure is probably the most destructive.

    I've used RegCure with good results on some "work" machines. These
    machines are test systems that are "abused" by loading drivers for
    lots (quantity and variety) of different hardware. I've never used it
    on a personal system, however.

    What do you mean by "most destructive"? What kinds of risks are
    incurred by using registry cleaners?

+ Reply to Thread