Rebuilt Raid 1, now XP won't boot - Storage

This is a discussion on Rebuilt Raid 1, now XP won't boot - Storage ; This is a HighPoint RocketRaid 100 ATA raid card. Not scsi, sorry. Have a raid 1 with Win XP. 1st drive died. Had broken raid 1 message. Shut down and replaced 1st drive with new drive. Powered up, went into ...

  1. Rebuilt Raid 1, now XP won't boot

    This is a HighPoint RocketRaid 100 ATA raid card. Not scsi, sorry.

    Have a raid 1 with Win XP. 1st drive died. Had broken raid 1 message.
    Shut down and replaced 1st drive with new drive. Powered up, went into raid
    utility and selected "choose replacement drive and rebuild". Correct drive
    was already indicate by the asteric sign. Answered Y to warning message.
    Rebuild took about 45 minutes. Then rebooted but cannot log in.

    Attempting to do so now says "A problem is preventing Windows from
    accurately checking the license for this computer. Error Code: 0x80090006".
    Cannot log in with safe mode either.

    So I disconnected the old drive trying to boot of the new one and it says
    it's missing a system file.

    So I disconnected the new drive and reconnected the old one and it still
    won't let me log in.

    This system had been booting of the remaining bad drive (2nd drive) just
    fine until I replaced and rebuilt the bad drive.

  2. Re: Rebuilt Raid 1, now XP won't boot

    Previously Dave wrote:
    > This is a HighPoint RocketRaid 100 ATA raid card. Not scsi, sorry.

    > Have a raid 1 with Win XP. 1st drive died. Had broken raid 1 message.
    > Shut down and replaced 1st drive with new drive. Powered up, went into raid
    > utility and selected "choose replacement drive and rebuild". Correct drive
    > was already indicate by the asteric sign. Answered Y to warning message.
    > Rebuild took about 45 minutes. Then rebooted but cannot log in.

    > Attempting to do so now says "A problem is preventing Windows from
    > accurately checking the license for this computer. Error Code: 0x80090006".
    > Cannot log in with safe mode either.

    That sounds like the RAID rebuild went fine, but the MS productivity
    enhancement system (read Digital Restriction Management) is unhappy
    whith the changed disk serial number oroverall controller
    configuration. Maybe the controller changes the RAID array ID
    on rebuild or somethign like that.

    > So I disconnected the old drive trying to boot of the new one and it says
    > it's missing a system file.

    That is strange. Try to move it to the other port?

    > So I disconnected the new drive and reconnected the old one and it still
    > won't let me log in.

    The serial again?

    > This system had been booting of the remaining bad drive (2nd drive) just
    > fine until I replaced and rebuilt the bad drive.

    Well, one option is to call MS license support and ask them
    why their software is refusing to do its job. Maybe there
    is some way to get in there. With MS solutions are allways
    non-intuitive and completely different that for every other
    system.

    Arno

  3. Re: Rebuilt Raid 1, now XP won't boot

    Thanks, I think you are correct. This Highpoint controller does not seem
    to be able to handle the Windows piracy protection. I sent an email to
    Highpoint tech support yesterday. Have not heard from them yet. I got a
    feeling I may not.

    I'm going to try a repair install.

    Dave

    "Arno Wagner" wrote in message
    > Previously Dave wrote:
    >> This is a HighPoint RocketRaid 100 ATA raid card. Not scsi, sorry.

    >> Have a raid 1 with Win XP. 1st drive died. Had broken raid 1 message.
    >> Shut down and replaced 1st drive with new drive. Powered up, went into
    >> raid
    >> utility and selected "choose replacement drive and rebuild". Correct
    >> drive
    >> was already indicate by the asteric sign. Answered Y to warning message.
    >> Rebuild took about 45 minutes. Then rebooted but cannot log in.

    >> Attempting to do so now says "A problem is preventing Windows from
    >> accurately checking the license for this computer. Error Code:
    >> 0x80090006".
    >> Cannot log in with safe mode either.

    > That sounds like the RAID rebuild went fine, but the MS productivity
    > enhancement system (read Digital Restriction Management) is unhappy
    > whith the changed disk serial number oroverall controller
    > configuration. Maybe the controller changes the RAID array ID
    > on rebuild or somethign like that.
    >
    >> So I disconnected the old drive trying to boot of the new one and it says
    >> it's missing a system file.

    > That is strange. Try to move it to the other port?
    >
    >> So I disconnected the new drive and reconnected the old one and it still
    >> won't let me log in.

    > The serial again?
    >
    >> This system had been booting of the remaining bad drive (2nd drive) just
    >> fine until I replaced and rebuilt the bad drive.

    > Well, one option is to call MS license support and ask them
    > why their software is refusing to do its job. Maybe there
    > is some way to get in there. With MS solutions are allways
    > non-intuitive and completely different that for every other
    > system.
    >
    > Arno

+ Reply to Thread