dichotomy between failing drive opinion and 'format it' - Storage

This is a discussion on dichotomy between failing drive opinion and 'format it' - Storage ; I have a Hitachi Travelstar 120 gig drive which is a year old. It started giving error messages saying that the media could not be found but then tested OK on the DFT Suddenly it failed yesterday and gives error ...

  1. dichotomy between failing drive opinion and 'format it'

    I have a Hitachi Travelstar 120 gig drive which is a year old. It
    started giving error messages saying that the media could not be found
    but then tested OK on the DFT

    Suddenly it failed yesterday and gives error code 0x70 with a TRC
    7000SAEFF

    Hitachi says this means bad sectors and that it WILL respond in any
    event to a (destructive) format.

    It gave this error code when I tried to repair the sectors and lose
    the info on them. They also say don't worry about it as the sector
    format will get rid of the problem. (as opposed to replacing them with
    spare ones??) and it has a 3 year warranty, which did in fact make me
    feel better if they are prepared to warranty their product for 3 years
    after this has occurred.

    Is this a failing drive or is it just one needing formatting please?

  2. Re: dichotomy between failing drive opinion and 'format it'

    Previously dmanzaluni@googlemail.com wrote:
    > I have a Hitachi Travelstar 120 gig drive which is a year old. It
    > started giving error messages saying that the media could not be found
    > but then tested OK on the DFT

    > Suddenly it failed yesterday and gives error code 0x70 with a TRC
    > 7000SAEFF

    > Hitachi says this means bad sectors and that it WILL respond in any
    > event to a (destructive) format.

    Not necessarily. It could just map them out and then continue
    to get more unreadable ones.

    > It gave this error code when I tried to repair the sectors and lose
    > the info on them. They also say don't worry about it as the sector
    > format will get rid of the problem. (as opposed to replacing them with
    > spare ones??)

    No. The drive knows the secors have problems. They will be re-tested
    and reallocated if needed. This makes sense, as not all unreadables
    are due to a surface problem.

    > and it has a 3 year warranty, which did in fact make me
    > feel better if they are prepared to warranty their product for 3 years
    > after this has occurred.

    That is pretty meaningless. The idea is that after about 2 years
    or so, it is not worthwhile replacing a disk, due to shippong costs.
    At least my experience is that you have to pay one direction yourself.
    I also had to pay customs fees and an outrageous fee by UPS on my
    last replacement. The result is that I fo not RMA drives anymore,
    but stop buying brands that fail me.

    > Is this a failing drive or is it just one needing formatting please?

    Depens on the number of bad sectors and on whether it keeps
    increasing. Please post the full (including raw) SMART data here.

    Arno

  3. Re: dichotomy between failing drive opinion and 'format it'

    On Nov 3, 11:34*pm, Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously dmanzal...@googlemail.com wrote:
    > > I have a Hitachi Travelstar 120 gig drive which is a year old. It
    > > started giving error messages saying that the media could not be found
    > > but then tested OK on the DFT
    > > Suddenly it failed yesterday and gives error code 0x70 with a TRC
    > > 7000SAEFF
    > > Hitachi says this means bad sectors and that it WILL respond in any
    > > event to a (destructive) format.

    > Not necessarily. It could just map them out and then continue
    > to get more unreadable ones.
    >
    > > It gave this error code when I tried to repair the sectors and lose
    > > the info on them. *They also say don't worry about it as the sector
    > > format will get rid of the problem. (as opposed to replacing them with
    > > spare ones??)

    > No. The drive knows the secors have problems. They will be re-tested
    > and reallocated if needed. This makes sense, as not all unreadables
    > are due to a surface problem.
    >
    > > and it has a 3 year warranty, which did in fact make me
    > > feel better if they are prepared to warranty their product for 3 years
    > > after this has occurred.

    > That is pretty meaningless. The idea is that after about 2 years
    > or so, it is not worthwhile replacing a disk, due to shippong costs.
    > At least my experience is that you have to pay one direction yourself.
    > I also had to pay customs fees and an outrageous fee by UPS on my
    > last replacement. The result is that I fo not RMA drives anymore,
    > but stop buying brands that fail me.
    >
    > > Is this a failing drive or is it just one needing formatting please?

    > Depens on the number of bad sectors and on whether it keeps
    > increasing. Please post the full (including raw) SMART data here.
    >
    > Arno

    That is what I was wondering: how I can access this data. Does it keep
    a log of the SMART data somewhere or how can I access it? And as I
    will be having to do their erase format anyway, should I do this
    before or after? Is the idea to run some program in UBCD4WIN after
    the erase to see the actual condition of the drive?

  4. Re: dichotomy between failing drive opinion and 'format it'

    Previously dmanzaluni@googlemail.com wrote:
    > On Nov 3, 11:34*pm, Arno Wagner wrote:
    >> Previously dmanzal...@googlemail.com wrote:
    >> > I have a Hitachi Travelstar 120 gig drive which is a year old. It
    >> > started giving error messages saying that the media could not be found
    >> > but then tested OK on the DFT
    >> > Suddenly it failed yesterday and gives error code 0x70 with a TRC
    >> > 7000SAEFF
    >> > Hitachi says this means bad sectors and that it WILL respond in any
    >> > event to a (destructive) format.

    >> Not necessarily. It could just map them out and then continue
    >> to get more unreadable ones.
    >>
    >> > It gave this error code when I tried to repair the sectors and lose
    >> > the info on them. *They also say don't worry about it as the sector
    >> > format will get rid of the problem. (as opposed to replacing them with
    >> > spare ones??)

    >> No. The drive knows the secors have problems. They will be re-tested
    >> and reallocated if needed. This makes sense, as not all unreadables
    >> are due to a surface problem.
    >>
    >> > and it has a 3 year warranty, which did in fact make me
    >> > feel better if they are prepared to warranty their product for 3 years
    >> > after this has occurred.

    >> That is pretty meaningless. The idea is that after about 2 years
    >> or so, it is not worthwhile replacing a disk, due to shippong costs.
    >> At least my experience is that you have to pay one direction yourself.
    >> I also had to pay customs fees and an outrageous fee by UPS on my
    >> last replacement. The result is that I fo not RMA drives anymore,
    >> but stop buying brands that fail me.
    >>
    >> > Is this a failing drive or is it just one needing formatting please?

    >> Depens on the number of bad sectors and on whether it keeps
    >> increasing. Please post the full (including raw) SMART data here.
    >>
    >> Arno

    > That is what I was wondering: how I can access this data. Does it keep
    > a log of the SMART data somewhere or how can I access it? And as I
    > will be having to do their erase format anyway, should I do this
    > before or after? Is the idea to run some program in UBCD4WIN after
    > the erase to see the actual condition of the drive?

    The attributes are stored on the disk. You run a SMART tool
    and query them. I use the free smartmontools (commandline,
    Linux and Win). Everest is another choice. You can also use
    speedfan, but then have to put screenshots somewhere, as it
    does not exprt to text. Ideally, you get the attributes before
    and after the disk overwrite.

    Arno

+ Reply to Thread