Finding Jumper Settings For Older Drives - Storage

This is a discussion on Finding Jumper Settings For Older Drives - Storage ; I've been searching for the manual and jumper settings for a Quantum Atlas10kII SCSI drive and the best I could find were the following: http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...8p/Jumpers.htm http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/...atlas10kii.htm Can anyone direct me to any sites where I may find these settings, or ...

  1. Finding Jumper Settings For Older Drives

    I've been searching for the manual and jumper settings for a Quantum
    Atlas10kII SCSI drive and the best I could find were the following:
    http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...8p/Jumpers.htm
    http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/...atlas10kii.htm

    Can anyone direct me to any sites where I may find these settings, or
    jumper settings (and manuals) for older drives in general?

    Thanks.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.

  2. Re: Finding Jumper Settings For Older Drives

    On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 20:11:52 -0800 (PST), Searcher7
    wrote:

    >I've been searching for the manual and jumper settings for a Quantum
    >Atlas10kII SCSI drive and the best I could find were the following:
    >http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...8p/Jumpers.htm
    >http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/...atlas10kii.htm
    >
    >Can anyone direct me to any sites where I may find these settings, or
    >jumper settings (and manuals) for older drives in general?
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Darren Harris
    >Staten Island, New York.

  3. Re: Finding Jumper Settings For Older Drives

    On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 20:11:52 -0800 (PST), Searcher7
    put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >I've been searching for the manual and jumper settings for a Quantum
    >Atlas10kII SCSI drive and the best I could find were the following:
    >http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...8p/Jumpers.htm
    >http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/...atlas10kii.htm
    >
    >Can anyone direct me to any sites where I may find these settings, or
    >jumper settings (and manuals) for older drives in general?

    Try the Wayback Machine:
    http://web.archive.org

    SCSI Hard Disk Drive Support:
    http://web.archive.org/web/200010162...pport_scsi.htm

    This is Quantum's original support page for your model:
    http://web.archive.org/web/200102080...si_support.htm

    - Franc Zabkar

  4. Re: Finding Jumper Settings For Older Drives

    On Nov 3, 1:29 am, Franc Zabkar wrote:
    > On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 20:11:52 -0800 (PST), Searcher7
    > put finger to keyboard and composed:
    >
    > >I've been searching for the manual and jumper settings for a Quantum
    > >Atlas10kII SCSI drive and the best I could find were the following:
    > >http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...8p/Jumpers.htm
    > >http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/...atlas10kii.htm

    > >Can anyone direct me to any sites where I may find these settings, or
    > >jumper settings (and manuals) for older drives in general?

    > Try the Wayback Machine:http://web.archive.org
    >
    > SCSI Hard Disk Drive Support:http://web.archive.org/web/200010162...om/support/hdd...
    >
    > This is Quantum's original support page for your model:http://web.archive.org/web/200102080...om/support/hdd...
    >
    > - Franc Zabkar
    > --
    > Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.

    I've gone through those sites, and unfortunately I'm no closer to
    getting one of my systems to see this drive.

    Perhaps the six pairs of pins have no effect on whether this drive is
    a master or slave?

    I added a SCSI card to the PC and the drive (model number TY18L011)
    drive model number briefly shows up on the very first screen when the
    BIOS is loading, but it is not found in Set-up. ???

    I am using an LVD/SE Ultra2 SCSI cable that is terminated.

    Thanks.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.

  5. Re: Finding Jumper Settings For Older Drives

    Previously Searcher7 wrote:
    > On Nov 3, 1:29 am, Franc Zabkar wrote:
    >> On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 20:11:52 -0800 (PST), Searcher7
    >> put finger to keyboard and composed:
    >>
    >> >I've been searching for the manual and jumper settings for a Quantum
    >> >Atlas10kII SCSI drive and the best I could find were the following:
    >> >http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...8p/Jumpers.htm
    >> >http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/...atlas10kii.htm

    >> >Can anyone direct me to any sites where I may find these settings, or
    >> >jumper settings (and manuals) for older drives in general?

    >> Try the Wayback Machine:http://web.archive.org
    >>
    >> SCSI Hard Disk Drive Support:http://web.archive.org/web/200010162...om/support/hdd...
    >>
    >> This is Quantum's original support page for your model:http://web.archive.org/web/200102080...om/support/hdd...
    >>
    >> - Franc Zabkar
    >> --
    >> Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.

    > I've gone through those sites, and unfortunately I'm no closer to
    > getting one of my systems to see this drive.

    > Perhaps the six pairs of pins have no effect on whether this drive is
    > a master or slave?

    The concept of master or slave does not exists in SCSI. You have
    an SCSI ID for every device (including the controller) and every
    device is allowed to initiate a buis transfer. Typically
    only a controller does, but you hav have several controllers in
    one bus as well. This is no el-cheapo bus as (S)ATA, it is closer
    to a LAN in some respects.

    > I added a SCSI card to the PC and the drive (model number TY18L011)
    > drive model number briefly shows up on the very first screen when the
    > BIOS is loading, but it is not found in Set-up. ???

    > I am using an LVD/SE Ultra2 SCSI cable that is terminated.

    SCSI setup is tricky. What exactly does the initial message show?

    Arno

  6. Re: Finding Jumper Settings For Older Drives

    Searcher7 wrote in news:90a48f38-f3e3-4a45-8b19-78d0acb389f6@u18g2000pro.googlegroups.com
    > On Nov 3, 1:29 am, Franc Zabkar wrote:
    > > On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 20:11:52 -0800 (PST), Searcher7
    > > put finger to keyboard and composed:
    > >
    > > > I've been searching for the manual and jumper settings for a Quantum
    > > > Atlas10kII SCSI drive and the best I could find were the following:
    > > > http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...8p/Jumpers.htm
    > > > http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/...atlas10kii.htm

    > > > Can anyone direct me to any sites where I may find these settings, or
    > > > jumper settings (and manuals) for older drives in general?

    > > Try the Wayback Machine:http://web.archive.org
    > >
    > > SCSI Hard Disk Drive Support:http://web.archive.org/web/200010162...om/support/hdd...
    > >
    > > This is Quantum's original support page for your model:http://web.archive.org/web/200102080...om/support/hdd...
    > >
    > > - Franc Zabkar
    > > --
    > > Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.

    > I've gone through those sites, and unfortunately I'm no closer to
    > getting one of my systems to see this drive.

    > Perhaps the six pairs of pins have no effect on whether this drive is
    > a master or slave?

    And neither does the '14 pairs of pins'.

    The 12-pin connector is for a cabinet switch and LED cable assembly.

    The SCSI ID jumpers are on the 28-pin jumper row.

    > I added a SCSI card to the PC and the drive (model number TY18L011)
    > drive model number briefly shows up on the very first screen when the
    > BIOS is loading, but it is not found in Set-up. ???

    What 'Set-up'?

    > I am using an LVD/SE Ultra2 SCSI cable that is terminated.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Darren Harris
    > Staten Island, New York.

  7. Re: Finding Jumper Settings For Older Drives

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:6n8b1pFk6ltfU1@mid.individual.net
    > Previously Searcher7 wrote:
    > > On Nov 3, 1:29 am, Franc Zabkar wrote:
    > > > On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 20:11:52 -0800 (PST), Searcher7
    > > > put finger to keyboard and composed:

    > > > Try the Wayback Machine:http://web.archive.org
    > > >
    > > > SCSI Hard Disk Drive Support:http://web.archive.org/web/200010162...om/support/hdd...
    > > >
    > > > This is Quantum's original support page for your
    > > > model:http://web.archive.org/web/200102080...om/support/hdd...
    > > >
    > > > - Franc Zabkar
    > > > --
    > > > Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.

    > > I've gone through those sites, and unfortunately I'm no closer to
    > > getting one of my systems to see this drive.

    > > Perhaps the six pairs of pins have no effect on whether this drive is
    > > a master or slave?

    > The concept of master or slave does not exists in SCSI. You have
    > an SCSI ID for every device (including the controller) and every
    > device is allowed to initiate a buis transfer. Typically only a con-
    > troller does, but you hav have several controllers in one bus as well.

    > This is no el-cheapo bus as (S)ATA,

    Like that SATA is an El Cheapo bus. It's also a SCSI bus.

    > it is closer to a LAN in some respects.

    Now there's El Cheapo.

    > > I added a SCSI card to the PC and the drive (model number TY18L011)
    > > drive model number briefly shows up on the very first screen when the
    > > BIOS is loading, but it is not found in Set-up. ???

    > > I am using an LVD/SE Ultra2 SCSI cable that is terminated.

    > SCSI setup is tricky.

    No, it isn't.

    > What exactly does the initial message show?
    >
    > Arno

+ Reply to Thread