Re: decent NAS - Storage

This is a discussion on Re: decent NAS - Storage ; Daniel James wrote: > > > I'm looking for a decent home NAS solution. > > I want a small, low power box that I can run headless ... > > I'm quite pleased with my Netgear (Infrant) ReadyNAS Duo. ...

  1. Re: decent NAS

    Daniel James wrote:

    > > I'm looking for a decent home NAS solution.
    > > I want a small, low power box that I can run headless ...

    > I'm quite pleased with my Netgear (Infrant) ReadyNAS Duo. It's a
    > Sparc-based appliance running Debian, supporting 2 drives.
    >
    > I've measured mine at around 25-27W with two drives idle, and 11W with
    > both drives spun down.
    >
    > The Duo comes in at a bit over 500+VAT with a single drive, there's
    > also a 4-drive model (the NV+) but it's disproportionately more
    > expensive.

    They look pretty good, but they go for as low as 150, so what made your
    model so expensive?

    http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=...+Duo&scoring=p

    How do you think these compare with the Drobo, if you are familar with it?

    Cheers

    ss.

  2. Re: decent NAS

    In article news:, Synapse
    Syndrome wrote:
    > They look pretty good, but they go for as low as 150, so what
    > made your model so expensive?

    Typo/thinko ... I meant to say 200 -- I'm not sure how that
    came out as 500?

    I actually paid 189+VAT for the Duo 2150 and a bundled second 500GB
    drive when it was a "Today Only" offer at scan.co.uk (it's 231.99+
    today).

    For a little less you can get the Icy Box NAS4220 (about 85+, without
    drives) but it doesn't have the features (no AFP support, which the OP
    specifically requested, for one thing) and some reviewers have reported
    bugs in the software.

    For quite a bit more you can get one of the Qnap boxes, which look
    really nice, but cost more (around 235+ for the TS 209 Pro II without
    any disks - unfortunately you need the "pro" model to get NFS support
    which was a requirement for me).

    Cheers,
    Daniel.

+ Reply to Thread