External hard Drive - Storage

This is a discussion on External hard Drive - Storage ; Hi Everyone I have had a mac now for a year. Just recently my external hard drives and USB sticks are not being recognised by my computer when I plug them in. If I start up the computer with the ...

  1. External hard Drive

    Hi Everyone
    I have had a mac now for a year. Just recently my external hard drives
    and USB sticks are not being recognised by my computer when I plug
    them in.
    If I start up the computer with the hard drive or USB stick plugged in
    already then it is recognised.
    CAn anyone tell me what the problem is and what I can do about it?
    Thanks
    DM

    --
    Posted at author's request, using moderated http://www.MacForumz.com interface
    Thread archive: http://www.MacForumz.com/External-ha...ict199036.html

  2. Re: External hard Drive

    In article <825383_0b48696687e0a59c8b7a738d08bb6b4d@macforumz. com>,
    dam wrote:

    > Hi Everyone
    > I have had a mac now for a year. Just recently my external hard drives
    > and USB sticks are not being recognised by my computer when I plug
    > them in.
    > If I start up the computer with the hard drive or USB stick plugged in
    > already then it is recognised.
    > CAn anyone tell me what the problem is and what I can do about it?
    > Thanks
    > DM

    USB hardware controllers can get confused from time to time. It's a fact
    of life, I'm afraid (it even happens to stand-alone USB hubs from time
    to time).

    First, try turning off and unplugging your computer and all USB hubs
    from power for a few minutes.

    If that doesn't fix it, try resetting the power manager or SMC. The
    steps to do this vary depending on the exact modem Mac you have. Doing a
    Google search for your model Mac and "reset" combined with "PMU" or
    "SMC" will likely find the instructions. Or you can tell us what model
    it is and we'll show you the way.

    --
    Send responses to the relevant news group rather than to me, as

    JR

+ Reply to Thread