Drive letter assignments - where is that info stored? - Storage

This is a discussion on Drive letter assignments - where is that info stored? - Storage ; Hi I have several backup drives in removable caddies so they can be swapped incrementally. The docking bay the caddy goes in to is on a single SATA channel. However each drive gets assigned a specific letter. One drive is ...

  1. Drive letter assignments - where is that info stored?

    Hi

    I have several backup drives in removable caddies so they can be swapped
    incrementally.

    The docking bay the caddy goes in to is on a single SATA channel.

    However each drive gets assigned a specific letter. One drive is always "X"
    the others are always "I"

    I'm curious to know where the info for the assigned drive letter is stored.
    Is it stored on the disc itself or does the OS (XP Pro) identify the drive
    by its unique serial number and recall the last letter assigned to it?

    Just curious and interested to know.

    Thanks for your time.

    Ian

  2. Re: Drive letter assignments - where is that info stored?

    Physical drives get a unique serial number in the MBR when you run setup or disk manager.
    The drive letter info is stored in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
    \DosDevices\X: stores the MBR serial number and partition start offset for X:

    "Ian R" wrote in message news:IMSdnWwCIdVk2ZHUnZ2dnUVZ8vqdnZ2d@bt.com...

    > I have several backup drives in removable caddies so they can be swapped
    > incrementally.
    >
    > The docking bay the caddy goes in to is on a single SATA channel.
    >
    > However each drive gets assigned a specific letter. One drive is always "X"
    > the others are always "I"
    >
    > I'm curious to know where the info for the assigned drive letter is stored.
    > Is it stored on the disc itself or does the OS (XP Pro) identify the drive
    > by its unique serial number and recall the last letter assigned to it?
    >
    > Just curious and interested to know.

  3. Re: Drive letter assignments - where is that info stored?

    Hi Eric

    Thanks very much for taking the time to reply.

    Really appreciate the info.

    < Physical drives get a unique serial number in the MBR...>
    Are logical drives not assigned a unique serial number then?

    Thanks again

    Ian I^)

    "Eric Gisin" wrote in message
    > Physical drives get a unique serial number in the MBR when you run setup
    > or disk manager.
    > The drive letter info is stored in the registry:
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
    > \DosDevices\X: stores the MBR serial number and partition start offset for
    > X:
    >
    > "Ian R" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I have several backup drives in removable caddies so they can be swapped
    >> incrementally.
    >>
    >> The docking bay the caddy goes in to is on a single SATA channel.
    >>
    >> However each drive gets assigned a specific letter. One drive is always
    >> "X" the others are always "I"
    >>
    >> I'm curious to know where the info for the assigned drive letter is
    >> stored. Is it stored on the disc itself or does the OS (XP Pro) identify
    >> the drive by its unique serial number and recall the last letter assigned
    >> to it?
    >>
    >> Just curious and interested to know.

  4. Re: Drive letter assignments - where is that info stored?

    "Ian R" wrote in message news:3OCdnS08Ma5QMZLUnZ2dneKdnZydnZ2d@bt.com...
    > Hi Eric
    >
    > Thanks very much for taking the time to reply.
    >
    > Really appreciate the info.
    >
    > < Physical drives get a unique serial number in the MBR...>
    > Are logical drives not assigned a unique serial number then?

    The volume serial should be unique. But it changes with every format, I think.

+ Reply to Thread