Is my harddrive dead?? - Storage

This is a discussion on Is my harddrive dead?? - Storage ; When I start up my computer, the BIOS loads, and windows will start loading (or at least the Windows Loading screen shows up) and then I hear a loud grinding noise. I get a very rapid BSOD, and then it ...

  1. Is my harddrive dead??

    When I start up my computer, the BIOS loads, and windows will start loading
    (or at least the Windows Loading screen shows up) and then I hear a loud
    grinding noise. I get a very rapid BSOD, and then it shuts down and starts
    up again in the DOS "Your computer did not shut down
    properly...bhlahblahblah".

    I have two harddrives on the computer, with windows on one, and my data on
    another harddrive. Will it be as simple as buying a new hardrive,
    installing windows and then I am good to go? (followed by updating all of
    my drivers)

    --
    Marcel

  2. Re: Is my harddrive dead??

    Marcel Beaudoin wrote:

    > When I start up my computer, the BIOS loads, and windows
    > will start loading (or at least the Windows Loading screen
    > shows up) and then I hear a loud grinding noise.

    Thats probably the drive recalibrating.

    > I get a very rapid BSOD, and then it shuts down and starts up again in
    > the DOS "Your computer did not shut down properly...bhlahblahblah".

    It isnt actually DOS.

    > I have two harddrives on the computer, with windows on one,
    > and my data on another harddrive. Will it be as simple as buying
    > a new hardrive, installing windows and then I am good to go?
    > (followed by updating all of my drivers)

    Likely, but it isnt guaranteed.

  3. Re: Is my harddrive dead??

    Previously Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
    > When I start up my computer, the BIOS loads, and windows will start loading
    > (or at least the Windows Loading screen shows up) and then I hear a loud
    > grinding noise. I get a very rapid BSOD, and then it shuts down and starts
    > up again in the DOS "Your computer did not shut down
    > properly...bhlahblahblah".

    > I have two harddrives on the computer, with windows on one, and my data on
    > another harddrive. Will it be as simple as buying a new hardrive,
    > installing windows and then I am good to go? (followed by updating all of
    > my drivers)

    Post the SMART data here. Wothout it it is basically impossible to
    diagnise the drive. And typically it is not that simple.

    Arno

  4. Re: Is my harddrive dead??

    It's difficult to understand what kind of noise it makes. Is it
    something similar to these: http://datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php
    ?
    Anyways, if the drive starts making some new sounds it's a good sign
    to backup ASAP and toss it away.

    On Oct 31, 2:27*pm, Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
    > When I start up my computer, the BIOS loads, and windows will start loading
    > (or at least the Windows Loading screen shows up) and then I hear a loud
    > grinding noise. I get a very rapid BSOD, and then it shuts down and starts
    > up again in the DOS "Your computer did not shut down
    > properly...bhlahblahblah".
    >
    > I have two harddrives on the computer, with windows on one, and my data on
    > another harddrive. Will it be as simple as buying a new hardrive,
    > installing windows and then I am good to go? (followed by updating all of
    > my drivers)
    >
    > --
    > Marcel

  5. Re: Is my harddrive dead??

    in comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage, Marcel Beaudoin
    wrote in
    news:Xns9B4893102BC8marcelbeaudoingmailc@130.133.1 .4:

    > When I start up my computer, the BIOS loads, and windows will start
    > hear a loud grinding noise. I get a very rapid BSOD, and then it shuts
    > down and starts up again in the DOS "Your computer did not shut down
    > properly...bhlahblahblah".
    >
    > I have two harddrives on the computer, with windows on one, and my
    > data on another harddrive. Will it be as simple as buying a new
    > hardrive, installing windows and then I am good to go? (followed by
    > updating all of my drivers)

    Update time

    I spent some of the weekend, poking around inside my computer.

    I took the sides off, and started it up, trying to figure out which of my
    HDs the noise is coming from. Turns out it is not coming from my HDs, the
    clicking/grinding is coming from one of my DVD players. When I put my hand
    on it, I can feel it vibrating.

    However, that still doesn't change the fact that my computer won't start
    up. I tried putting my Windows Installation disk in the drive and set the
    drive to be the start-up device, and there was no happiness. No real
    difference in what happened.

    --
    Marcel

  6. Re: Is my harddrive dead??

    Marcel Beaudoin wrote
    > Marcel Beaudoin wrote

    >> When I start up my computer, the BIOS loads, and windows will
    >> start loading (or at least the Windows Loading screen shows up)
    >> and then I hear a loud grinding noise. I get a very rapid BSOD,
    >> and then it shuts down and starts up again in the DOS "Your
    >> computer did not shut down properly...bhlahblahblah".

    >> I have two harddrives on the computer, with windows on one,
    >> and my data on another harddrive. Will it be as simple as
    >> buying a new hardrive, installing windows and then I am
    >> good to go? (followed by updating all of my drivers)

    > Update time

    > I spent some of the weekend, poking around inside my computer.

    > I took the sides off, and started it up, trying to figure out which
    > of my HDs the noise is coming from. Turns out it is not coming
    > from my HDs, the clicking/grinding is coming from one of my
    > DVD players. When I put my hand on it, I can feel it vibrating.

    > However, that still doesn't change the fact that my computer won't start up.

    Try unplugging that DVD drive that is making that noise. You can get
    a situation where a defective DVD drive takes so long to respond to
    the bios poll for drives that that stops the system booting properly.

    > I tried putting my Windows Installation disk in the drive

    Do you really mean the drive thats making the noise ?

    > and set the drive to be the start-up device, and there was no happiness.

    Not surprising if its the drive thats making the noise, it presumably cant read the Win installation disk.

    > No real difference in what happened.

    Try just unplugging the DVD drive and see if the system will boot off the hard drive.

    It if will, replace the DVD drive.

  7. Re: Is my harddrive dead??

    in comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage, "Rod Speed"
    wrote in

    > Marcel Beaudoin wrote

    >> I tried putting my Windows Installation disk in the drive

    > Do you really mean the drive thats making the noise ?

    Nope. Different drive. Sorry for not making that clear. (It was all so
    clear in my brain...)

    > Try just unplugging the DVD drive and see if the system will boot off
    > the hard drive.
    >
    > It if will, replace the DVD drive.

    Will try that.

    Thanks!

    --
    Marcel

  8. Re: Is my harddrive dead??

    "Rod Speed" wrote
    news:6n920tFkbshgU1@mid.individual.net in
    comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage:

    > Try just unplugging the DVD drive and see if the system will boot off
    > the hard drive.
    >
    > It if will, replace the DVD drive.

    Nope. I completely unplugged both drives, and it didn't work.
    --
    Marcel

  9. Re: Is my harddrive dead??

    update:

    It turns out to be not as simple as I originally thought, but I am
    getting a lot closer to tracking down what is going on.

    I have two harddrives, a 40 GB HD and a 120 GB HD. Fir whatever reason,
    my Windows installation is on my 120 GB HD, and not on my 40 GB HD like I
    previously thought. (BOO me!!)

    If I set it to start with only the 120 GB HD connected, I get the
    following at startup:

    Pri Master:WDC W1200JB-00EVA0 15.05R15
    Ultra DMA Mode-5, S.M.A.R.T. Capable and Status BAD

    And then info on my optical drives.

    A bit farther down, it says:
    Pri Master Hard Disk :S.M.A.R.T. Status BAD, backup and replace
    Press F1 to Continue

    If I carry on, it loads the Windows installation program (Extremely
    slow), and I am given the choice to install/repair/quit. Choosing install
    ends up with the software finding a previous version of windows on my HD
    (the one that was running before) and it now giving me the option to
    repair it. I select yes, and it is now in the process of
    installing/repairing my version of windows.

    I will give an update of what happens after it is done installing, and I
    re-connect back up my older 40 GB HD.

    In any case, I think that it is time for me to replace my 120GB HD, which
    is weird, as it is only 5 years old. My 40 GB HD is about twice that.

    --
    Marcel

  10. Re: Is my harddrive dead??

    Marcel Beaudoin wrote
    news:Xns9B4BDA4AD7977mbeausympaticoca@130.133.1.4 in
    comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage:

    > Update

    > I will give an update of what happens after it is done installing, and
    > I re-connect back up my older 40 GB HD.

    There is definitely a problem with the HD. It never actually finishes the
    installation, and regularly crashes during the process.

    So I will remove it from the boot-up list and find someplace that can,
    when I purchase a new HD, transfer the data to it.

    Any recommendations??

    Also, what I wouldn't mind doing is set up my new HD to be able to boot
    into Windows, and another partition to boot into a flavour of Linux.

    Any recommendations for that??

    Thanks for all the help folks!!

    --
    Marcel

  11. Re: Is my harddrive dead??

    Marcel Beaudoin wrote
    > Marcel Beaudoin wrote

    >> Update

    >> I will give an update of what happens after it is done installing,
    >> and I re-connect back up my older 40 GB HD.

    > There is definitely a problem with the HD. It never actually finishes
    > the installation, and regularly crashes during the process.

    Yeah, clearly the BAD SMART status is accurate.

    > So I will remove it from the boot-up list and find someplace
    > that can, when I purchase a new HD, transfer the data to it.

    > Any recommendations??

    I like Samsungs myself.

    > Also, what I wouldn't mind doing is set up my new HD to be able to
    > boot into Windows, and another partition to boot into a flavour of Linux.

    > Any recommendations for that??

    Most Linux distros come with what you need to do that.

+ Reply to Thread