Re: Is this a failing hard drive? - Storage

This is a discussion on Re: Is this a failing hard drive? - Storage ; Just switched on the PC this morning and looks like the PCB has just got fried. Rest of the PC looks OK. Electrical fault was the last thing I was expecting....

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Re: Is this a failing hard drive?

  1. Re: Is this a failing hard drive?

    Just switched on the PC this morning and looks like the PCB has just
    got fried. Rest of the PC looks OK. Electrical fault was the last
    thing I was expecting.

  2. Re: Is this a failing hard drive?

    Previously Naz wrote:
    > Just switched on the PC this morning and looks like the PCB has just
    > got fried. Rest of the PC looks OK. Electrical fault was the last
    > thing I was expecting.


    Hmm. Probably the servo controller then. This is indeed highly
    unlikely. Check your voltages just to make sure. Maybe
    +12V is way too high.

    Arno

  3. Re: Is this a failing hard drive?

    On Oct 30, 4:27*am, Naz wrote:
    > Just switched on the PC this morning and looks like the PCB has just
    > got fried. Rest of the PC looks OK. Electrical fault was the last
    > thing I was expecting.


    Do you live in a humid climate?

  4. Re: Is this a failing hard drive?

    The chips driving the spindle or actuator servoes, due to a shot bearing or friction.

    "Naz" wrote in message
    news:33e93c28-dfd6-4165-9911-d53201cacb4b@m36g2000hse.googlegroups.com...
    > Just switched on the PC this morning and looks like the PCB has just
    > got fried. Rest of the PC looks OK. Electrical fault was the last
    > thing I was expecting.



  5. Re: Is this a failing hard drive?

    Just fitted in the replacement drive and I am a little worried by what
    is it tell me, particularly the Seek Error rate.

    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ro5ixj&s=4

    This is basically within the first 15mins of installation, and after
    running the benchmark test on HD Tune. There was nothing on it, just
    been installed not even initialized by Windows

  6. Re: Is this a failing hard drive?

    Previously Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Oct 30, 4:27*am, Naz wrote:
    >> Just switched on the PC this morning and looks like the PCB has just
    >> got fried. Rest of the PC looks OK. Electrical fault was the last
    >> thing I was expecting.


    > Do you live in a humid climate?


    There is no connection between humidity and electrical faults
    that cause burns in low-voltage low-power electronics.

    Arno

  7. Re: Is this a failing hard drive?

    Previously Naz wrote:
    > Just fitted in the replacement drive and I am a little worried by what
    > is it tell me, particularly the Seek Error rate.


    > http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ro5ixj&s=4


    Looks perfectly fine. 253 seems to be the initial value.

    > This is basically within the first 15mins of installation, and after
    > running the benchmark test on HD Tune. There was nothing on it, just
    > been installed not even initialized by Windows


    Oh. Give it at least several days of usage and then look again.

    Arno

  8. Re: Is this a failing hard drive?

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 10:32:38 -0700 (PDT), Naz
    put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >Just fitted in the replacement drive and I am a little worried by what
    >is it tell me, particularly the Seek Error rate.
    >
    >http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ro5ixj&s=4
    >
    >This is basically within the first 15mins of installation, and after
    >running the benchmark test on HD Tune. There was nothing on it, just
    >been installed not even initialized by Windows


    Seagate's raw "Seek Error Rate" parameter represents a cumulative seek
    count. It is not a rate, and it is not an error. I don't know if this
    applies to Seagate branded Maxtor drives, though.

    - Franc Zabkar
    --
    Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.

  9. Re: Is this a failing hard drive?

    In article <6mubsoFisk5eU1@mid.individual.net>, Arno Wagner wrote:
    >Previously Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote:
    >> On Oct 30, 4:27*am, Naz wrote:
    >>> Just switched on the PC this morning and looks like the PCB has just
    >>> got fried. Rest of the PC looks OK. Electrical fault was the last
    >>> thing I was expecting.

    >
    >> Do you live in a humid climate?

    >
    >There is no connection between humidity and electrical faults
    >that cause burns in low-voltage low-power electronics.
    >
    >Arno

    So with a straight face you are saying that corrosion is not a factor with
    electronics?

  10. Re: Is this a failing hard drive?

    Previously GMAN wrote:
    > In article <6mubsoFisk5eU1@mid.individual.net>, Arno Wagner wrote:
    >>Previously Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> On Oct 30, 4:27*am, Naz wrote:
    >>>> Just switched on the PC this morning and looks like the PCB has just
    >>>> got fried. Rest of the PC looks OK. Electrical fault was the last
    >>>> thing I was expecting.

    >>
    >>> Do you live in a humid climate?

    >>
    >>There is no connection between humidity and electrical faults
    >>that cause burns in low-voltage low-power electronics.
    >>
    >>Arno

    > So with a straight face you are saying that corrosion is not a factor with
    > electronics?


    No. It is. But not with things that burn up in HDDs. That is pretty
    unlikely without a chip fault. Admittedly, it used to be a major
    factor.

    Arno

+ Reply to Thread