Best Backup Software - Storage

This is a discussion on Best Backup Software - Storage ; I've tried almost a dozen so far, most in the $39 range. All had issues. What I'm after is on-the-fly backup software that instantly backs up files as soon as they are modified or created. That's it. 99.9% of backup ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 80

  1. Best Backup Software

    I've tried almost a dozen so far, most in the $39 range. All had
    issues.

    What I'm after is on-the-fly backup software that instantly backs up
    files as soon as they are modified or created. That's it. 99.9% of
    backup software is time triggered which is pretty damn lame.

    Anyone know of any backup software that can accomplish this simple
    request? TIA.

    As this day progresses, I'll post programs that CANNOT do this simple
    request below.

  2. Re: Best Backup Software

    Non-Instant Backup Software ..err Doorstops (alphabetical)
    Automatic Folder Backup - nothing auto about it
    EMC Retrospect Express - nothing express about it
    Gendalf Backupper Agent - antiquated, user unfriendly
    Inasofta Document Backup - makes bogus claims
    Llama Carbon Copy - empty doorstop didn't do a thing
    Migasoft - had bugs, nasty
    Novosoft OfficeBackup - antiquated, user-unfriendly

  3. Re: Best Backup Software

    On-the-fly Backup Software
    --------------------------

    I've tried almost a dozen so far, most in the $39 range. All had
    issues.

    What I'm after is on-the-fly backup software that instantly backs up
    files
    as soon as they are modified or created. That's it. 99.9% of backup
    software
    is time triggered which is pretty damn lame.

    The beauty of saving files on the fly to cd with each modification is
    that
    no matter what happens your latest data is 100% safe, guaranteed. Even
    better,
    you have recent backups you can revert to if needbe.

    ..
    ..

    Non-Instant Backup Software ..err Doorstops (alphabetical)
    Automatic Folder Backup - nothing auto about it
    EMC Retrospect Express - nothing express about it
    Gendalf Backupper Agent - antiquated, user unfriendly
    Inasofta Document Backup - makes bogus claims
    Llama Carbon Copy - empty doorstop didn't do a thing
    Migasoft - had bugs, nasty
    Modified Files Stwr - no XP version = leave alone
    Mozy Modified - monthly fee, no trial = don't touch!
    Novosoft OfficeBackup - antiquated, user-unfriendly

    I admit I rifled through these softwares, some of which were complex
    and
    prolific and didn't read everything .. and hence might have missed
    something, but nonetheless, I'm also looking for something basic,
    user-
    friendly aka easy to use .. so no appologies handed out.

    ... backup software reviews continued below:

  4. Re: Best Backup Software

    On-the-fly Backup Software
    --------------------------

    I've tried almost a dozen so far, most in the $39 range. All had
    issues.

    What I'm after is on-the-fly backup software that instantly backs up
    files as soon as they are modified or created. That's it. 99.9% of
    backup software is time triggered which is pretty damn lame.

    The beauty of saving files on the fly to cd with each modification is
    that no matter what happens your latest data is 100%safe, guaranteed.
    Even better, you have recent backups you can revert to if needbe.

    ..
    ..

    Non-Instant Backup Software ..err Doorstops (alphabetical)
    * Automatic Folder Backup - nothing auto about it
    * EMC Retrospect Express - nothing express about it
    * Gendalf Backupper Agent - antiquated, user unfriendly
    * Insofta Document Backup - makes bogus claims
    * Llama Carbon Copy - empty doorstop didn't do a thing
    * Migasoft - had bugs, nasty
    * Modified Files Stwr - no XP version = leave alone
    * Mozy Modified - monthly fee, no trial = don't touch!
    * Novosoft OfficeBackup - antiquated, user-unfriendly

    I admit I rifled through these softwares, some of which were complex
    and prolific and didn't read everything .. and hence might have missed
    something, but nonetheless, I'm also looking for something basic, user-
    friendly aka easy to use .. so no appologies handed out.

    ... backup software reviews continued below:

  5. Re: Best Backup Software

    On-the-fly Backup Software
    --------------------------

    I've tried almost a dozen so far, most in the $39 range. All had
    issues.

    What I'm after is on-the-fly backup software that instantly backs up
    files as soon as they are modified or created. That's it. 99.9% of
    backup software is time triggered which is pretty damn lame.

    The beauty of saving files on the fly to cd with each modification is
    that no matter what happens, all your latest data is 100% safe,
    guaranteed. Even better, you have recent backups you can revert to if
    needbe.
    Say you deleted a line you wanted to keep, but saved the file .. no
    problem, just revert back to the last saved version and recover the
    portion you inadvertently lost.

    ..
    ..

    Non-Instant Backup Software ..err Doorstops (alphabetical)
    * Automatic Folder Backup - nothing auto about it
    * EMC Retrospect Express - nothing express about it
    * Gendalf Backupper Agent - antiquated, user unfriendly
    * Insofta Document Backup - makes bogus claims
    * Llama Carbon Copy - empty doorstop didn't do a thing
    * Migasoft - had bugs, nasty
    * Modified Files Stwr - no XP version = leave alone
    * Mozy Modified - monthly fee, no trial = don't touch!
    * Novosoft OfficeBackup - antiquated, user-unfriendly

    I admit I rifled through these softwares, some of which were complex
    and prolific and didn't read everything .. and hence might have missed
    something, but nonetheless, I'm also looking for something basic, user-
    friendly aka easy to use .. so no appologies handed out.

    ... backup software reviews continued below:

  6. Re: Best Backup Software

    On-the-fly Backup Software
    --------------------------

    I've tried almost a dozen so far, most in the $40 range. All had
    issues.

    What I'm after is on-the-fly backup software that instantly backs up
    files as soon as they are modified or created. That's it. 99.9% of
    backup software is time triggered which is pretty damn lame.

    The beauty of saving files on the fly to cd with each modification is
    that no matter what happens, all your latest data is 100% safe,
    guaranteed. Even better, you have recent backups you can revert to if
    needbe. Say you deleted a line you wanted to keep, but saved the
    file .. no problem, just revert back to the last saved version and
    recover the portion you inadvertently lost.

    ..
    ..

    Non-Instant Backup Software ..err Doorstops (alphabetical)
    * Automatic Folder Backup - nothing auto about it
    * Auto Backup Pro - bugs (runtime error)
    * EMC Retrospect Express - nothing express about it
    * Gendalf Backupper Agent - antiquated, user unfriendly
    * Insofta Document Backup - makes bogus claims
    * Llama Carbon Copy - empty doorstop didn't do a thing
    * Migasoft - had bugs, nasty
    * Modified File Bkup - no XP version = leave alone
    * Mozy Modified - monthly fee, no trial = don't touch!
    * Novosoft OfficeBackup - antiquated, user-unfriendly
    * Sync Backup Pro - no go
    * Taskzip - broken link - untestable
    * Two Bright Sparks Autobackup - no go.

    I admit I rifled through these softwares, some of which were complex
    and prolific and didn't read everything .. and hence might have missed
    something, but nonetheless, I'm also looking for something basic, user-
    friendly aka easy to use .. so no appologies handed out.

    ... backup software reviews continued below:

  7. Re: Best Backup Software

    On-the-fly Backup Software
    --------------------------

[...]

    * Backup4All Pro - No Can Do
    * EMC Retrospect Express - daily saves = express?
    * Gendalf Backupper Agent - antiquated, user unfriendly
    * Insofta Document Backup - makes bogus claims
    * Llama Carbon Copy - empty doorstop didn't do a thing
    * Migasoft - had bugs, nasty
    * Modified File Bkup - no XP version = leave alone
    * Mozy Modified - monthly fee, no trial = don't touch!
    * Novosoft OfficeBackup - antiquated, user-unfriendly
    * Sync Backup Pro - no go
    * Taskzip - broken link - untestable
    * Two Bright Sparks Autobackup - no go.

    I admit I rifled through these softwares, some of which were complex
    and prolific and didn't read everything .. and hence might have missed
    something, but nonetheless, I'm also looking for something basic, user-
    friendly aka easy to use .. so no appologies handed out. You may say,
    these software don't do instant backups. Most claim they do.

    ... backup software reviews continued below:

  8. Re: Best Backup Software

    On-the-fly Backup Software
    --------------------------

    I've tested over a dozen backup software programs so far, most in the
    $40 range. All had issues.

    What I'm after is what everyone should be after: realtime, on-the-fly
    backup software that instantly backs up files as soon as they are
    modified or created. That's it. Over 90% of backup software is time
    triggered which is pretty damn lame.

    The beauty of saving files on the fly to cd with each modification is
    that no matter what happens, all your latest data is 100% safe,
    guaranteed. Also, a copy is made with each save or when only a few
    bytes of data are changed. Now you have multiple fresh backups you can
    revert to if needbe. With multiple recent backups, you can revert back
    to get something from one of those previous saves that you've just
    deleted.

    ..
    ..

    Non-Instant Backup Software ..err Doorstops (alphabetical)
    * Automatic Folder Backup - nothing auto about it
    * Auto Backup Pro - bugs (runtime error)
    * Backup4All Pro - No Can Do
    * EMC Retrospect Express - daily saves = express?
    * Gendalf Backupper Agent - antiquated, user unfriendly
    * Insofta Document Backup - makes bogus claims
    * Llama Carbon Copy - empty doorstop didn't do a thing
    * Migosoft / Migo PC Backup - had bugs, nasty
    * Modified File Bkup - no XP version = leave alone
    * Mozy Modified - monthly fee, no trial = don't touch!
    * Novosoft OfficeBackup - antiquated, user-unfriendly
    * Second Backup - XP incompatible and/or bugs
    * Simple Backup Tool - timed backups only
    * Sync Backup Pro - no go
    * Taskzip - broken link - untestable
    * Two Bright Sparks Autobackup - no go.

    I admit I rifled through these programs, some of which were complex
    and prolific and didn't read everything .. and hence might have missed
    something, but nonetheless, I'm also looking for something basic, user-
    friendly aka easy to use .. so no appologies handed out. You may say,
    these software don't do instant backups. Most claim they do.

    ... backup software review continued below:

  9. Re: Best Backup Software

    On-the-fly Backup Software
    --------------------------

    I've tested over a dozen backup software programs so far, most in the
    $40 range. All had issues. Worse, over 90% of backup software is time
[...]

  10. Re: Best Backup Software

    On-the-fly Backup Software
    --------------------------

[...]

    * DeltaCopy - delta crappy, bugs, antiquated
[...]

    these software don't do instant backups. Most claim they do. Also I
    never rebooted with each test where I wasn't prompted to.

    So far, BackupOnDemand is the closest software to do what I wanted so
    far without major issues.
    Unfortunately even this program had issues:
    * Does not save multiple backups!
    * Does not save mirror files, but encrypts files which can only be
    accessed via the software itself!
    * Cannot real time copy to cdrom.
    * PC must be rebooted.

    But after wasting hours with other completely crappy backup softare, I
    was getting easy to please.
    So BACKUPONDEMAND gets a broken thumb up, and two stars .. until I
    find something better. Then it
    gets blacklisted with the rest.

    ... backup software review continued below:

  11. Re: Best Backup Software

    Previously Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote:
    > I've tried almost a dozen so far, most in the $39 range. All had
    > issues.

    > What I'm after is on-the-fly backup software that instantly backs up
    > files as soon as they are modified or created. That's it. 99.9% of
    > backup software is time triggered which is pretty damn lame.

    It is actually the only real way to do it with most filesystems.
    There are just no possibilities to put in hooks that would
    not totallty kill filesystem performance.

    > Anyone know of any backup software that can accomplish this simple
    > request? TIA.

    No. And the request is not simple from the technological side.

    > As this day progresses, I'll post programs that CANNOT do this simple
    > request below.

    What you can do is to use a version control system or set the timed
    ones to a small interval.

    Arno

  12. Re: Best Backup Software

    Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote:

    > I've tried almost a dozen so far, most in the $39 range. All had issues.

    > What I'm after is on-the-fly backup software that instantly backs up
    > files as soon as they are modified or created. That's it. 99.9% of
    > backup software is time triggered which is pretty damn lame.

    > Anyone know of any backup software that can accomplish this simple request?

    Mirroring will do that, but that doesnt protect against user stupidity.

    > As this day progresses, I'll post programs that CANNOT do this simple request below.

  13. Re: Best Backup Software

    On-the-fly Backup Software
    --------------------------

    I've tested over a dozen cheaper backup software programs so far, most
    in the free to $40 range. All had issues. Worse, over 90% of backup
[...]

  14. Re: Best Backup Software

    Mirroring will do that, but that doesnt protect against user
    stupidity.
    Mirroring aka backup. And yes backups will protect against all kinds
    of source file torcher.
    Whatelse don't you know?

  15. Re: Best Backup Software

    On Oct 29, 6:39*pm, Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously Stevep...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I've tried almost a dozen so far, most in the $39 range. All had
    > > issues.
    > > What I'm after is on-the-fly backup software that instantly backs up
    > > files as soon as they are modified or created. That's it. 99.9% of
    > > backup software is time triggered which is pretty damn lame.

    > It is actually the only real way to do it with most filesystems.

    Nope. Real time backups are real.

    ?

    > > Anyone know of any backup software that can accomplish this simple
    > > request? TIA.

    > No. And the request is not simple from the technological side.

    Again not true. Software exists that accomplishes this simple task.

  16. Re: Best Backup Software

    Arno Wagner wrote
    > Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote

    >> I've tried almost a dozen so far, most in the $39 range. All had issues.

    >> What I'm after is on-the-fly backup software that instantly backs up
    >> files as soon as they are modified or created. That's it. 99.9% of
    >> backup software is time triggered which is pretty damn lame.

    > It is actually the only real way to do it with most filesystems.

    Mindlessly silly, most obviously with software RAID which does it fine.

    > There are just no possibilities to put in hooks that
    > would not totallty kill filesystem performance.

    This clown has never ever had a ****ing clue. Its completely routine to
    do time triggered backup with the OS still running without that result, so
    its just as possible to do the backup on the fly as the files change too.

    Corse thats not necessarily very desirable when it will backup everything, even all the
    temporary crap that there isnt any need to backup, but thats what mirroring does anyway.

    >> Anyone know of any backup software that can accomplish this simple request? TIA.

    > No. And the request is not simple from the technological side.

    Wrong, as always. Completely routine to mirror the drive.

    >> As this day progresses, I'll post programs that CANNOT do this simple request below.

    > What you can do is to use a version control system or set the timed ones to a small interval.

    You can also mirror the drive, stupid.

  17. Re: Best Backup Software

    Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote:

    >> Mirroring will do that, but that doesnt protect against user stupidity.

    > Mirroring aka backup.

    Mirroring is quite different to real backup in the sense that it will mirror what
    the user tells the system to do, even if the user later decides that it shouldnt
    have told the system do that. Backup will recover from that, mirroring cant.

    > And yes backups will protect against all kinds of source file torcher.

    But mirroring wont, most obviously if a virus corrupts both the original and the mirror.

    > Whatelse don't you know?

    Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you have never ever had a ****ing clue about anything at all, ever.

  18. Re: Best Backup Software

    On-the-fly Backup Software
    --------------------------

    I've tested over a dozen cheaper backup software programs so far, most
    in the free to $40 range. All had issues. Worse, over 90% of backup
    software is scheduled (time triggered intervals) which is pretty damn
    lame.

[...]

    * BackupOnDemand - See review below
    * Datzent83 - monthly fees
    * DeltaCopy - delta crappy, bugs, antiquated
    * EMC Retrospect Express - daily saves = express?
    * Filehamster - does not mirror; see details below
    * Filehamster Plus - does not mirror
    * Gendalf Backupper Agent - antiquated, user unfriendly
    * Insofta Document Backup - makes bogus claims
    * Llama Carbon Copy - empty doorstop didn't do a thing
    * Migosoft / Migo PC Backup - had bugs, nasty
    * Modified File Bkup - no XP version = leave alone
    * Mozy Modified - monthly fee, no trial = don't touch!
    * Novosoft OfficeBackup - antiquated, user-unfriendly
    * RealTimeBackup - complete scam - scheduled backups only,
    requires manual removal
    * Second Backup - XP incompatible and/or bugs
    * Simple Backup Tool - timed backups only
    * Storactive's LiveBackup - no trial (lo-odds u-gamble stwr)
    * Sync Backup Pro - no go
    * Taskzip - broken link - untestable
    * Two Bright Sparks Autobackup - no go.

    I admit I rifled through these programs, some of which were complex
    and prolific and didn't read everything .. and hence might have missed
    something, but nonetheless, I'm also looking for something basic, user-
    friendly aka easy to use .. so no appologies handed out. You may say,
    these software don't do instant backups. Most claim they do. Also I
    never rebooted with each test where I wasn't prompted to.

    BackupOnDemand & FileHamster - close, but no cigars; issues list:
    * Does not save multiple backups!
    * Does not save mirror files, but encrypts files which can only be
    accessed via the software itself!
    * Cannot real time copy to cdrom.
    * PC must be rebooted.
    * gets a broken thumb up, and one star.

  19. Re: Best Backup Software

    > Mindlessly silly, most obviously with software RAID which does it fine.
    Not even close. Raid merely mirrors everything you do, mistakes and
    all. No go.

    > > There are just no possibilities to put in hooks that
    > > would not totallty kill filesystem performance.

    > This clown has never ever had a ****ing clue.

    Agree.

    > Its completely routine to
    > do time triggered backup with the OS still running without that result, so
    > its just as possible to do the backup on the fly as the files change too.

    Yep, maybe easier.

    > Wrong, as always. Completely routine to mirror the drive.

    Yep and backup multiple saves of the same file. But tell that to over
    90% of the backup software idiots.

  20. Re: Best Backup Software

    > >> Mirroring will do that, but that doesnt protect against user stupidity.
    > > Mirroring aka backup.

    > Mirroring is quite different to real backup in the sense that it will mirror what
    > the user tells the system to do, even if the user later decides that it shouldnt
    > have told the system do that. Backup will recover from that, mirroring cant.

    Ok in tight terms yes.

    > > And yes backups will protect against all kinds of source file torcher.

    > But mirroring wont, most obviously if a virus corrupts both the original and the mirror.

    True.

    > Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you have never ever had a ****ing clue about anything at all, ever.

    Um then you don't either because we agree once you spell out what you
    meant by mirroring.
    Mirroring can be used in a couple-three ways and your second comment
    still stands as ridiculous.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast