Best Backup Software - Storage

This is a discussion on Best Backup Software - Storage ; Arno Wagner wrote in news:6mtc2fFid5sbU1@mid.individual.net > Previously Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote: > > On Oct 29, 6:39 pm, Arno Wagner wrote: > > > Previously Stevep...@gmail.com wrote: > > > > I've tried almost a dozen so far, most in the $39 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 80 of 80

  1. Re: Best Backup Software

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:6mtc2fFid5sbU1@mid.individual.net
    > Previously Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote:
    > > >
    > > > It is actually the only real way to do it with most filesystems.

    > > Nope. Real time backups are real.

    > > > There are just no possibilities to put in hooks that would
    > > > not totallty kill filesystem performance.

    > > ?

    > > > No. And the request is not simple from the technological side.

    > > Again not true. Software exists that accomplishes this simple task.

    > I think you have no clue what you are talking about.

    Yup, that must be it, since you obviously do, babblebot.

    > The only way to do this currently is external journalling.

    Is that so. Programs like Sysinternals (now Microsoft) Filemon
    do not exist, right Babblebot? Figments of the imagination?

    > Arno

  2. Re: Best Backup Software

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:6mtc3gFid5sbU2@mid.individual.net
    > Previously tyuj wrote:
    > > Arno Wagner wrote
    > > > Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote

    > > > It is actually the only real way to do it with most filesystems.

    > > Mindlessly silly, most obviously with software RAID which does it fine.

    > RAID is not backup.

    In the same sense as backing up over your previous backup is not backing up, yet it is still a backup.

    > Arno

  3. Re: Best Backup Software

    Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Oct 30, 7:54*pm, Arno Wagner wrote:
    >
    >> And here you are completely wrong. This is not the intention. In many
    >> RAID implementation it is not the effect. And if you look at the
    >> original RAID paper, it is merely a potential side effect.

    > Don't know where you get your info from, but I and others get faster r/
    > w speed thu RAIDing. Fact.

    You do know that there are different types of RAID, don't you? Some
    provide faster throughput, others provide data redundancy. If you're
    trying to handle disk failures as gracefully as possible, you'd go
    with the data redundancy.

    Jerry

  4. Re: Best Backup Software

    tyuj wrote:
    > Jerry Peters wrote:
    >> tyuj wrote:
    >>> Arno Wagner wrote

    >>> Mindlessly silly, most obviously with software RAID which does it
    >>> fine.

    >>> This clown has never ever had a ****ing clue. Its completely routine
    >>> do time triggered backup with the OS still running without that
    >>> result, so
    >>> its just as possible to do the backup on the fly as the files change
    >>> too.
    >>>
    >>> Corse thats not necessarily very desirable when it will backup
    >>> everything, even all the temporary crap that there isnt any need to
    >>> backup, but thats what mirroring does anyway.

    >>> Wrong, as always. Completely routine to mirror the drive.

    >>> You can also mirror the drive, stupid.

    >> RAID or mirroring is _not_ a backup.

    > Never said it was. In fact I JUST said that it will do what he said he wanted to do.
    >
    >> It doesn't, for example, protect against software or operator error.

    > I said that.
    >
    >> If the file gets overwritten, it's gone. If the file gets deleted it's gone.

    > I said that.
    >
    >> RAID or mirroring protects against disk failures.

    > And it does what he said he wants too.

    He said _backup software_. That phrase has certain conotations that
    you are obviously missing.

    Jerry

  5. Re: Best Backup Software

    Arno Wagner wrote
    > Previously tyuj wrote:
    >> Arno Wagner wrote
    >>> Previously tyuj wrote

    >>> First, software RAID (or any RAID) certainly is not a filesystem.

    >> You were the only one to mention filesystems. He didnt, he just said FILES.

    > You cannot have a file without a filesystem.

    Wrong again.

    > The OS does not know about files below the filesystem layer.

    You were the only one to mention filesystems. He didnt, he just said FILES.

    >>> It operates on an entirely different OS layer.

    >> Irrelevant to your pig ignorant claim that it isnt possible to do what he wants to do.

    >>> Second, it is not backup as backup is expected to keep data when the original storage does not.

    >> It does however do what he said he wants it to do.

    >>> Otherwise it would not be backup, but just mirroring.

    >> That is however what he said he wanted.

    >>> But, if the OP did indeed just want mirroring and was ignorant
    >>> of the existence of RAID (which, by the degree of nonsense he has
    >>> posted here in the last day or so, I consider entirely possible),
    >>> then you are cretainly right.

    >> And I'm certainly right too.

    > ;-)

  6. Re: Best Backup Software

    Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote
    > Arno Wagner wrote

    >> And here you are completely wrong. This is not the intention. In many
    >> RAID implementation it is not the effect. And if you look at the
    >> original RAID paper, it is merely a potential side effect.

    > Don't know where you get your info from,

    From measuring the performance. Tad radical I know.

    > but I and others get faster r/ w speed thu RAIDing. Fact.

    Its also a fact that some raid configs give a worse performance than no raid too.

  7. Re: Best Backup Software

    Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote

    >>> Agree. Theoretically RAID increases the lifespan of disks,

    >> No it doesnt.

    > Yes it does.

    No it doesnt.

    > Don't believe me. Google around and you'll be enlightened troll.

    Just because some fool claims that doesnt make it gospel, fool.

    >>> but likely not by much.

    >> Try not at all.

    > Try a little.

    Try not at all.

    > Don't believe me. Google around.

    Just because some fool claims that doesnt make it gospel, fool.

    > You are dead wrong.

    Nope.

    >>> We're probably talking in the .0000% area.

    >> Nope.

    > Yep.

    Nope.

    >>> Trivial.

    >> Non existent, actually.

    > Practically non existent, really.

    Non existent, actually.

    >>> Trivial.

    Never ever could bull**** its way out of a wet paper bag, or fool anyone at all, ever.

    Only with SOME raid, ****wit.

    It aint when its ****ed up, ****wit. Some raid like raid5 has worse performance than no raid, ****wit.

    > Dumb as always.

    Never ever could bull**** its way out of a wet paper bag, or fool anyone at all, ever.

    >>> This is the biggie. This is the purpose

    >> Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you have never ever had a ****ing clue about anything at all, ever.

    > Raid works fine for a lot of people including myself.

    Irrelevant to your stupid pig ignorant claims about it.

  8. Re: Best Backup Software

    Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote
    >>> Jerry Peters wrote

    >>> Absolutely it is. Raid is a single generated real time backup.

    >> Presumably you mean generation.

    >>> Correct.

    >>> Don't think so.

    >> Corse most RAID does.

    >>> At least not a hardware failure.

    >> Wrong, as always.

    > How the f can raid prevent a bad drive becoming badder.

    Never ever said it could. I JUST said that your silly claim about hardware failure is just plain wrong.

    > Why can't you ever back your up with a single explanation ??

    You're lying, as always.

    >>> Raid is mainly for r/w fetch/spill speed.

    >> Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you have
    >> never ever had a ****ing clue about anything at all, ever.

    > Why can't you ever back your up with a single explanation ??

    You're lying, as always.

    > My system runs faster via raid. Fact.

    And other raid configs like raid5 doesnt. Fact.

    > Your opinion is dead wrong and your facts are zero.

    It aint an opinion and you wouldnt know what a fact was if it bit you on your lard arse.

  9. Re: Best Backup Software

    Jerry Peters wrote:
    > tyuj wrote:
    >> Jerry Peters wrote:

    >>> RAID or mirroring is _not_ a backup.

    >> Never said it was. In fact I JUST said that it will do what he said
    >> he wanted to do.
    >>
    >>> It doesn't, for example, protect against software or operator error.

    >> I said that.
    >>
    >>> If the file gets overwritten, it's gone. If the file gets deleted
    >>> it's gone.

    >> I said that.
    >>
    >>> RAID or mirroring protects against disk failures.

    >> And it does what he said he wants too.
    >>

    > He said _backup software_.

    And software mirroring qualifys.

    > That phrase has certain conotations that you are obviously missing.

    Cant have missed it when I pointed out the downsides of mirroring with user stupidity and viruses etc.

  10. Re: Best Backup Software

    On Oct 31, 1:42*pm, Jerry Peters wrote:

    > You do know that there are different types of RAID, don't you?

    Duh!

    > Some
    > provide faster throughput, others provide data redundancy. If you're
    > trying to handle disk failures as gracefully as possible, you'd go
    > with the data redundancy.

    Duh#2

    > * * * * Jerry

    Try tell this to the trolls here. Your turn.

  11. Re: Best Backup Software

    On Oct 31, 4:05*pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
    > Stevep...@gmail.com wrote
    >
    > > Rod Speed wrote
    > >> No it doesnt.

    > > Yes it does.

    > No it doesnt.

    Look it up. It does troll.

    > > Don't believe me. Google around and you'll be enlightened troll.

    > Just because some fool claims that doesnt make it gospel, fool.

    Yeah like manufacturers of raid mother boards. Dumb as always.

    > >> Try not at all.

    > > Try a little.

    > Try not at all.

    Try dumb as always.

    > > Don't believe me. Google around.

    > Just because some fool claims that doesnt make it gospel, fool.

    Yeah like manufacturers of raid mother boards. Dumb as always.

    > > You are dead wrong.

    > Nope.

    Dumb as always.

    > >> Nope.

    > > Yep.

    > Nope.

    Dumb as always.

    ROD SPEED IS:
    DUMB AS ALWAYS.
    DUMB AS ALWAYS.
    DUMB AS ALWAYS.
    DUMB AS ALWAYS.
    DUMB AS ALWAYS.
    DUMB AS ALWAYS.
    DUMB AS ALWAYS.

  12. Re: Best Backup Software

    On Oct 31, 4:09*pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
    > It aint an opinion and you wouldnt know what a fact was if it bit you on your lard arse.

    TROLL AS ALWAYS.
    The facts are on my side.. as always. Research and learn some time.

  13. Re: Best Backup Software

    Previously tyuj wrote:
    > Arno Wagner wrote
    >> Previously tyuj wrote:
    >>> Arno Wagner wrote

    >>> You were the only one to mention filesystems. He didnt, he just said FILES.

    >> You cannot have a file without a filesystem.

    > Wrong again.

    Excuse me? Do you even have the basics of OS design? Aparently not.

    Arno

  14. Re: Best Backup Software

    Arno Wagner wrote
    > Previously tyuj wrote
    >> Arno Wagner wrote
    >>> Previously tyuj wrote

    >>> You cannot have a file without a filesystem.

    >> Wrong again.

    > Excuse me?

    No way. Your terminal pig ignorance is completely inexcusible.

    > Do you even have the basics of OS design?

    Yep, might even have written one thanks.

    And OS design is completely irrelevant to that stupid pig ignorant claim you made anyway.

  15. Re: Best Backup Software

    Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote
    > Jerry Peters wrote
    >> Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote
    >>> Arno Wagner wrote

    >>> Don't know where you get your info from, but I
    >>> and others get faster r/w speed thu RAIDing. Fact.

    >> You do know that there are different types of RAID, don't you?

    > Duh!

    >> Some provide faster throughput, others provide data redundancy.
    >> If you're trying to handle disk failures as gracefully as possible,
    >> you'd go with the data redundancy.

    > Duh#2

    Never ever could bull**** its way out of a wet paper bag.

    > Try tell this to the trolls here. Your turn.

    So stupid that it hasnt even noticed that EVERYONE without exception is putting the boot into your stupid pig ignorant
    claims.

  16. Re: Best Backup Software

    Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote
    >>> Rod Speed wrote

    >>> Yes it does.

    >> No it doesnt.

    > Look it up.

    Dont need to.

    > It does troll.

    Maybe you would care to explain how RAID can possibly increase the lifespan of disks.

    >>> Don't believe me. Google around and you'll be enlightened troll.

    >> Just because some fool claims that doesnt make it gospel, fool.

    > Yeah like manufacturers of raid mother boards.

    Not one of those EVER claims that RAID increases the lifespan of disks, child.

    >>> Try a little.

    >> Try not at all.

    > Try dumb as always.

    Never ever could bull**** its way out of a wet paper bag.

    >>> Don't believe me. Google around.

    >> Just because some fool claims that doesnt make it gospel, fool.

    > Yeah like manufacturers of raid mother boards.

    Have fun listing even a single example of one ever doing anything like that, child.

  17. Re: Best Backup Software

    Some gutless ****wit child desperately cowering behind
    Stevepppp@gmail.com desperately attempted to bull**** its way
    out of its predicament and fooled absolutely no one at all, as always.

  18. Re: Best Backup Software

    Some gutless ****wit child desperately cowering behind
    Stevepppp@gmail.com desperately attempted to bull**** its way
    out of its predicament and fooled absolutely no one at all, as always.

  19. Re: Best Backup Software

    Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Oct 31, 1:42*pm, Jerry Peters wrote:
    >
    >> You do know that there are different types of RAID, don't you?

    > Duh!
    >
    >> Some
    >> provide faster throughput, others provide data redundancy. If you're
    >> trying to handle disk failures as gracefully as possible, you'd go
    >> with the data redundancy.

    > Duh#2
    >>
    >> * * * * Jerry

    > Try tell this to the trolls here. Your turn.

    You cut your response to Arno that I was responding to:
    Don't know where you get your info from, but I and others get faster
    r/w speed thu RAIDing. Fact.

    Depending on type of RAID, a speed up is not a given.

    Jerry

  20. Re: Best Backup Software

    Jesco Lincke wrote in news:gefbne$rkq$1@online.de
    > Stevepppp@gmail.com schrieb: