Best Backup Software - Storage

This is a discussion on Best Backup Software - Storage ; The bozo gang returns in full force! > > of saving multiple fresh generations of your work. > Doesnt happen with proper incremental backup, ****wit. FRESH GENERATIONS = INCREMENTAL BACKUP. Mr. Oxy Moron is truly an asshole who needs no ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 80

  1. Re: Best Backup Software

    The bozo gang returns in full force!

    > > of saving multiple fresh generations of your work.

    > Doesnt happen with proper incremental backup, ****wit.

    FRESH GENERATIONS = INCREMENTAL BACKUP. Mr. Oxy Moron is truly an
    asshole who needs no introductions. Is English your first language?

    >Wouldnt know what a real oxymoron was if it bit it on its lard arse.

    Check your dictionary. You've provide two GLOWING examples of the
    word oxymoron already for us.

    >> Throw out some software names if you have any.

    >Just about any modern backup software will do high frequency incremental >backup on top of mirroring.

    Thanks for naming the software. I'll go out and buy it! Clear
    illustration that you are straw. You're chock full of helpful
    information. Take up teaching.

    >> I'm simply looking for a simple program that can detect
    >> new files and changes in a file of a specified folder ..

    > Virtually all decent modern backup software will do that.

    Right! 10% = virtually all. Did you actually read anything I posted? A
    blind person would have been more informative. Congratulations! Fact
    is that the vast majority of backup software stinks. I've proven it. A
    lot has major major bugs. Over 90% is very user-unfriendly and bloated
    with trivialities. The list goes on and on. There's a few that
    actually work ok for scheduled backup, like Retrospect Express (Sold
    at Frys). But that's a small dint.

    >> pretty basic request. No bells or whistles. I'd prefer CDR storage for full protection.

    >The absolute vast bulk will write to CDR.

    Ok and? Did you understand the rest of the request? Actually, you are
    wrong too. Only about 1/2 can save to CD. And EXTREMELY FEW write to
    CD on the fly .. which is my desire. In fact NONE I've surveyed could
    accomplish this simple deed. Fact.

    > > Damn! I was in such a hurry because it had already consumed my entire f'in day that
    > > I didn't see that one of the programs I tested ACTUALLY WORKED as desired!!!

    > Only because you're too stupid to work out that virtually all of
    > them will do what you want fine when combined with mirroring.

    You haven't a f'in clue how smart I am Jim or do you know what the
    word "hurry" means? Do you understand what software bugs are? They are
    real. Everything I stated is true. My only fault is to test dozens of
    software without wasting too much time (because most of it sucks) you
    can easily pass up something germane to this thread, but even then,
    the reason it got overlooked is likely due to bogus software and very
    user-unfriendly which is in itself reason enough to be boycotted. I've
    done the homework here. The only thing you've proven to the world is
    your ignorance.

    > Thats the only definition.

    There are multiple terms you could substitute for the word
    "mirroring." I bet at least a half dozen exist.

    > You quite sure you aint one of those rocket scientist ****wit children ?

    Yip, ain't quite sure ain't! What button do you click when you want to
    save a file, delete?

    > > Weren't you the one to say mirror <> backup?

    > Corse it is on that particular capability.

    Your confession in ignorance is accepted.

    > >> Wrong, as always.

    > > Used in different verbage such as copy, backup, etc.

    > Wrong, as always.

    Dumb as always. So 'copy' doesn't equal 'backup'. Brilliant display of
    intellect.

    > >> Like hell it does.

    > > Make sense of it for us then.

    > You're clearly too stupid.

    Me=Us? But compliment taken just the same. Any villification coming
    from idiots is always appreciated.

    >> Again not true. Software exists that accomplishes this simple task.

    >I think you have no clue what you are talking about.

    Ok software doesn't exist on your planet that accomplishes this task.
    Sorry, I wasn't generalizing.

    >So The only way to do this currently is external journalling.

    Can you clue us in better than this to what planet you come from? Keep
    smoking.

    CHRIS WROTE:

    >You should try also IBM CDP (Continuous Data Protection) I believe there
    >is a trial but not sure...

    Finally someone added something beneficial to this thread other than
    myself. See how it's done boys.. Thanks again, I'll keep that in mind.
    If you scroll up past the menucia, you'll find I've already found one
    program that works. It's called: Absolute Backup Monitor.

    ABSOLUTE BACKUP MONITOR - this one's ok & bears repeating.

    ABM works. Try it. The rest suck eggs and so do ng trolls. Boo on
    trolls and ****ty software.

  2. Re: Best Backup Software

    In article <7c0dd3d9-873e-44ac-a349-9b562e8f4365@q30g2000prq.googlegroups.com>, Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote:
    >If any of you Einsteins know of a robust on-the-fly backup software
    >feel free to list it. TIA.

    Iomega Automatic Backup - 1.0.2
    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/24305

    http://www.techsoftpl.com/backup/index.php

  3. Re: Best Backup Software

    Arno Wagner wrote
    > Previously tyuj wrote
    >> Arno Wagner wrote
    >>> Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote

    >>> It is actually the only real way to do it with most filesystems.

    >> Mindlessly silly, most obviously with software RAID which does it fine.

    > RAID is not backup.

    You claimed that it wasnt possible to do that with most filesystems. Software raid does what he asked for.

  4. Re: Best Backup Software

    Previously tyuj wrote:
    > Arno Wagner wrote
    >> Previously tyuj wrote
    >>> Arno Wagner wrote

    >>> Mindlessly silly, most obviously with software RAID which does it fine.

    >> RAID is not backup.

    > You claimed that it wasnt possible to do that with most filesystems.
    > Software raid does what he asked for.

    First, software RAID (or any RAID) certainly is not a filesystem.
    It operates on an entirely different OS layer.
    Second, it is not backup as backup is expected to keep data when
    the original storage does not. Otherwise it would not be backup,
    but just mirroring.

    But, if the OP did indeed just want mirroring and was ignorant
    of the existence of RAID (which, by the degree of nonsense he has
    posted here in the last day or so, I consider entirely possible),
    then you are cretainly right.

    Arno

  5. Re: Best Backup Software

    tyuj wrote:
    > Arno Wagner wrote
    >> Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote

    >>> I've tried almost a dozen so far, most in the $39 range. All had issues.

    >>> What I'm after is on-the-fly backup software that instantly backs up
    >>> files as soon as they are modified or created. That's it. 99.9% of
    >>> backup software is time triggered which is pretty damn lame.

    >> It is actually the only real way to do it with most filesystems.

    > Mindlessly silly, most obviously with software RAID which does it fine.
    >
    >> There are just no possibilities to put in hooks that
    >> would not totallty kill filesystem performance.

    > This clown has never ever had a ****ing clue. Its completely routine to
    > do time triggered backup with the OS still running without that result, so
    > its just as possible to do the backup on the fly as the files change too.
    >
    > Corse thats not necessarily very desirable when it will backup everything, even all the
    > temporary crap that there isnt any need to backup, but thats what mirroring does anyway.
    >
    >>> Anyone know of any backup software that can accomplish this simple request? TIA.

    >> No. And the request is not simple from the technological side.

    > Wrong, as always. Completely routine to mirror the drive.
    >
    >>> As this day progresses, I'll post programs that CANNOT do this simple request below.

    >> What you can do is to use a version control system or set the timed ones to a small interval.

    > You can also mirror the drive, stupid.

    RAID or mirroring is _not_ a backup. It doesn't, for example, protect
    against software or operator error. If the file gets overwritten, it's
    gone. If the file gets deleted it's gone. RAID or mirroring protects
    against disk failures.

    Jerry

  6. Re: Best Backup Software

    On Oct 30, 12:03*pm, "tyuj" wrote:
    > You claimed that it wasnt possible to do that with most filesystems. Software ?>raid does what he asked for.

    No it doesn't. Not even close. Google raid and be enlightened.

  7. Re: Best Backup Software

    On Oct 30, 1:35*pm, Jerry Peters wrote:
    > RAID or mirroring is _not_ a backup.

    Absolutely it is. Raid is a single generated real time backup.

    > It doesn't, for example, protect
    > against software or operator error. If the file gets overwritten, it's
    > gone. If the file gets deleted it's gone.

    Correct.

    > RAID or mirroring protects against disk failures.

    Don't think so. At least not a hardware failure. Raid is mainly for r/
    w fetch/spill speed.

  8. Re: Best Backup Software

    Previously Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Oct 30, 1:35*pm, Jerry Peters wrote:
    >> RAID or mirroring is _not_ a backup.

    > Absolutely it is. Raid is a single generated real time backup.

    >> It doesn't, for example, protect
    >> against software or operator error. If the file gets overwritten, it's
    >> gone. If the file gets deleted it's gone.

    > Correct.

    >> RAID or mirroring protects against disk failures.

    > Don't think so. At least not a hardware failure. Raid is mainly for r/
    > w fetch/spill speed.

    RAID (Redundant Array of Independend Disks) introduces
    redundancy to protect against disk failures, i.e. read
    errors and total loss of a disk. The exception here is
    the aptly named RAID-0, that has no redundancy. It seems
    to me you have no clue what you are talking abaout.

    To nit-pick, RAID does not "protect" against disk failures,
    it merely reduces the expected average downtime due to
    disk failures.

    Arno

  9. Re: Best Backup Software

    Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote:

    > CHRIS WROTE:
    >> You should try also IBM CDP (Continuous Data Protection) I believe there
    >> is a trial but not sure...

    > Finally someone added something beneficial to this thread other than
    > myself. See how it's done boys.. Thanks again, I'll keep that in mind.
    > But if you scroll up past the menucia, you find I've already found one
    > program that works. It's called: Keepsafe.
    >
    > KEEPSAFE.

    > It works. The rest suck eggs and so do the trolls here.

    Good. Have fun then.

  10. Re: Best Backup Software

    On Oct 30, 4:20*pm, Arno Wagner wrote:

    > To nit-pick, RAID does not "protect" against disk failures,

    Agree. Theoretically RAID increases the lifespan of disks, but likely
    not by much. We're probably talking in the .0000% area. Trivial.

    > it merely reduces the expected average downtime due to
    > disk failures.

    Trivial.

    Raid increases performance aka speed. This is the biggie. This is the
    purpose.

  11. Re: Best Backup Software

    Arno Wagner wrote
    > Previously tyuj wrote
    >> Arno Wagner wrote
    >>> Previously tyuj wrote

    >>> RAID is not backup.

    >> You claimed that it wasnt possible to do that with most filesystems.
    >> Software raid does what he asked for.

    > First, software RAID (or any RAID) certainly is not a filesystem.

    You were the only one to mention filesystems. He didnt, he just said FILES.

    > It operates on an entirely different OS layer.

    Irrelevant to your pig ignorant claim that it isnt possible to do what he wants to do.

    > Second, it is not backup as backup is expected to keep data when the original storage does not.

    It does however do what he said he wants it to do.

    > Otherwise it would not be backup, but just mirroring.

    That is however what he said he wanted.

    > But, if the OP did indeed just want mirroring and was ignorant
    > of the existence of RAID (which, by the degree of nonsense he has
    > posted here in the last day or so, I consider entirely possible),
    > then you are cretainly right.

    And I'm certainly right too.

  12. Re: Best Backup Software

    Jerry Peters wrote:
    > tyuj wrote:
    >> Arno Wagner wrote
    >>> Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote

    >>> It is actually the only real way to do it with most filesystems.

    >> Mindlessly silly, most obviously with software RAID which does it
    >> fine.
    >>
    >>> There are just no possibilities to put in hooks that
    >>> would not totallty kill filesystem performance.

    >> This clown has never ever had a ****ing clue. Its completely routine
    >> do time triggered backup with the OS still running without that
    >> result, so
    >> its just as possible to do the backup on the fly as the files change
    >> too.
    >>
    >> Corse thats not necessarily very desirable when it will backup
    >> everything, even all the temporary crap that there isnt any need to
    >> backup, but thats what mirroring does anyway.

    >>> No. And the request is not simple from the technological side.

    >> Wrong, as always. Completely routine to mirror the drive.

    >>> What you can do is to use a version control system or set the timed
    >>> ones to a small interval.

    >> You can also mirror the drive, stupid.

    > RAID or mirroring is _not_ a backup.

    Never said it was. In fact I JUST said that it will do what he said he wanted to do.

    > It doesn't, for example, protect against software or operator error.

    I said that.

    > If the file gets overwritten, it's gone. If the file gets deleted it's gone.

    I said that.

    > RAID or mirroring protects against disk failures.

    And it does what he said he wants too.

  13. Re: Best Backup Software

    Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote
    > Jerry Peters wrote

    >> RAID or mirroring is _not_ a backup.

    > Absolutely it is. Raid is a single generated real time backup.

    Presumably you mean generation.

    >> It doesn't, for example, protect against software or operator error.
    >> If the file gets overwritten, it's gone. If the file gets deleted it's gone.

    > Correct.

    >> RAID or mirroring protects against disk failures.

    > Don't think so.

    Corse most RAID does.

    > At least not a hardware failure.

    Wrong, as always.

    > Raid is mainly for r/w fetch/spill speed.

    Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you have never ever had a ****ing clue about anything at all, ever.

  14. Re: Best Backup Software

    Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote
    > Arno Wagner wrote

    >> To nit-pick, RAID does not "protect" against disk failures,

    > Agree. Theoretically RAID increases the lifespan of disks,

    No it doesnt.

    > but likely not by much.

    Try not at all.

    > We're probably talking in the .0000% area.

    Nope.

    > Trivial.

    Non existent, actually.

    >> it merely reduces the expected average downtime due to disk failures.

    > Trivial.

    Wrong, as always.

    > Raid increases performance aka speed.

    Some RAID does, some RAID actually makes that worse.

    > This is the biggie. This is the purpose.

    Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you have never ever had a ****ing clue about anything at all, ever.

  15. Re: Best Backup Software

    Previously tyuj wrote:
    > Arno Wagner wrote
    >> Previously tyuj wrote
    >>> Arno Wagner wrote

    >>> You claimed that it wasnt possible to do that with most filesystems.
    >>> Software raid does what he asked for.

    >> First, software RAID (or any RAID) certainly is not a filesystem.

    > You were the only one to mention filesystems. He didnt, he just said FILES.

    You cannot have a file without a filesystem. The OS does not know about
    files below the filesystem layer.

    >> It operates on an entirely different OS layer.

    > Irrelevant to your pig ignorant claim that it isnt possible to do what he wants to do.

    >> Second, it is not backup as backup is expected to keep data when the original storage does not.

    > It does however do what he said he wants it to do.

    >> Otherwise it would not be backup, but just mirroring.

    > That is however what he said he wanted.

    >> But, if the OP did indeed just want mirroring and was ignorant
    >> of the existence of RAID (which, by the degree of nonsense he has
    >> posted here in the last day or so, I consider entirely possible),
    >> then you are cretainly right.

    > And I'm certainly right too.

    ;-)

  16. Re: Best Backup Software

    On Oct 30, 7:54*pm, Arno Wagner wrote:

    > And here you are completely wrong. This is not the intention. In many
    > RAID implementation it is not the effect. And if you look at the
    > original RAID paper, it is merely a potential side effect.

    Don't know where you get your info from, but I and others get faster r/
    w speed thu RAIDing. Fact.

  17. Re: Best Backup Software

    On Oct 30, 11:22*pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
    > Stevep...@gmail.com wrote
    >
    > > Jerry Peters wrote
    > >> RAID or mirroring is _not_ a backup.

    > > Absolutely it is. Raid is a single generated real time backup.

    > Presumably you mean generation.
    >
    > >> It doesn't, for example, protect against software or operator error.
    > >> If the file gets overwritten, it's gone. If the file gets deleted it'sgone.

    > > Correct.
    > >> RAID or mirroring protects against disk failures.

    > > Don't think so.

    > Corse most RAID does.
    >
    > > At least not a hardware failure.

    > Wrong, as always.

    How the f can raid prevent a bad drive becoming badder. Why can't you
    ever back your up with a single explanation ?? Dumb as always.

    > > Raid is mainly for r/w fetch/spill speed.

    > Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you have never ever hada ****ing clue about anything at all, ever.

    Why can't you ever back your up with a single explanation ?? Dumb as
    always. My system runs faster via raid. Fact. Your opinion is dead
    wrong and your facts are zero.

  18. Re: Best Backup Software

    On Oct 30, 11:25*pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
    > > Agree. Theoretically RAID increases the lifespan of disks,

    > No it doesnt.

    Yes it does. Don't believe me. Google around and you'll be enlightened
    troll.

    > > but likely not by much.

    > Try not at all.

    Try a little. Don't believe me. Google around. You are dead wrong.

    > > We're probably talking in the .0000% area.

    > Nope.

    Yep.

    > > Trivial.

    > Non existent, actually.

    Practically non existent, really.

    > >> it merely reduces the expected average downtime due to disk failures.

    > > Trivial.

    > Wrong, as always.

    Dumb as always.

    >> Raid increases performance aka speed.

    >Some RAID does

    Now you agree! Dumb as always.

    > some RAID actually makes that worse.

    You can f up anything if you want. Dumb as always.

    >> This is the biggie. This is the purpose

    >Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you have never ever had a >****ing clue about anything at all, ever.

    Raid works fine for a lot of people including myself. Troll as
    always..

  19. Re: Best Backup Software

    Stevepppp@gmail.com schrieb:
    > snip

    pssst... don't feed the troll.

  20. Re: Best Backup Software

    On Oct 31, 9:28*am, Jesco Lincke wrote:
    > Stevep...@gmail.com schrieb:
    >
    > > snip

    > pssst... don't feed the troll.

    Agree, but piss doesn't equal food, and I hate b.s. Call it an
    addiction or weakness.