Best Backup Software - Storage

This is a discussion on Best Backup Software - Storage ; If any of you Einsteins know of a robust on-the-fly backup software feel free to list it. TIA....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 80

  1. Re: Best Backup Software

    If any of you Einsteins know of a robust on-the-fly backup software
    feel free to list it. TIA.

  2. Re: Best Backup Software

    Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote
    > tyuj wrote
    >> Arno Wagner wrote
    >>> Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote

    >>> It is actually the only real way to do it with most filesystems.

    >> Mindlessly silly, most obviously with software RAID which does it fine.

    > Not even close.

    Wrong, as always.

    > Raid merely mirrors everything you do, mistakes and all. No go.

    What I said, fool.

    >>> There are just no possibilities to put in hooks that
    >>> would not totallty kill filesystem performance.

    >> This clown has never ever had a ****ing clue.

    > Agree.

    >> Its completely routine to do time triggered backup with the OS
    >> still running without that result, so its just as possible to do the
    >> backup on the fly as the files change too. Yep, maybe easier.

    >> Wrong, as always. Completely routine to mirror the drive.

    > Yep and backup multiple saves of the same file.
    > But tell that to over 90% of the backup software idiots.

    They just dont see the point when mirroring WITH time triggered backup works fine.

  3. Re: Best Backup Software

    Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote

    >>> Mirroring aka backup.

    >> Mirroring is quite different to real backup in the sense that it will mirror what
    >> the user tells the system to do, even if the user later decides that it shouldnt
    >> have told the system do that. Backup will recover from that, mirroring cant.

    > Ok in tight terms yes.

    Thats what mirroring means.

    >>> And yes backups will protect against all kinds of source file torcher.

    >> But mirroring wont, most obviously if a virus corrupts both the original and the mirror.

    > True.

    >>> Whatelse don't you know?

    >> Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you have never ever had a ****ing clue about anything at all, ever.

    > Um then you don't either because we agree once you spell out what you meant by mirroring.

    Mirroring has only one meaning.

    > Mirroring can be used in a couple-three ways

    Wrong, as always.

    > and your second comment still stands as ridiculous.

    Like hell it does.

    The reason you cant find backup software that does it the way you want is because anyone
    with a clue uses mirroring to instantly backup any change made to the files and its used
    WITH real backup as well to handle the situation where something deliberately changes
    the files in a way that needs to be recovered from like user stupidity or a virus etc or
    some other system problem that changes the files in a way that isnt what you want.

  4. Re: Best Backup Software

    Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote:

    > If any of you Einsteins know of a robust on-the-fly backup software feel free to list it.

    Mirroring WITH backup will do what you want.

    You can have a high frequency of incremental backup and that will protect against
    something changing the file in a way that you dont want, user stupidity, virus etc.

  5. Re: Best Backup Software

    On-the-fly Backup Software
    --------------------------

    I've tested over a dozen cheaper backup software programs so far, most
    in the free to $40 range. All had issues. Worse, over 90% of backup
    software is scheduled (time triggered intervals) which is pretty damn
    lame.

    What I'm after is what everyone should be after: real time, on-the-fly
    backup software that instantly backs up files as soon as they are
    modified or created. That's it.

    The beauty of saving files on the fly to cd with each modification is
    that no matter what happens, all your latest data is 100% safe,
    guaranteed. Also, a copy is made with each save or when only a few
    bytes of data are changed. Now you have multiple fresh backups you can
    revert to if needbe. With multiple recent backups, you can revert back
    to get something from one of those previous saves that you've just
    deleted.

    ..
    ..

    Non-Instant Backup Software ..err Doorstops (alphabetical)
    * Automatic Folder Backup - nothing auto about it
    * Auto Backup Pro - bugs (runtime error)
    * Backup4All Pro - No Can Do
    * BackupEngine 8 - Won't run on XP or bugs; take ur pick
    * BackupNowDeluxe -
    * BackupOnDemand - See review below
    * BackupVision - Allows MANUAL backups only!!!!!
    * Datzent83 - monthly fees
    * DeltaCopy - delta crappy, bugs, antiquated
    * EMC Retrospect Express - daily saves = express?
    * Filehamster - does not mirror; see details below
    * Filehamster Plus - does not mirror
    * FileReplicationPro - $500!! Stopper right there!
    * Gendalf Backupper Agent - antiquated, user unfriendly
    * GoogleChrome Backup - requires GoogleChrome (wt?)
    * Insofta Document Backup - makes bogus claims
    * Llama Carbon Copy - empty doorstop didn't do a thing
    * Migosoft / Migo PC Backup - had bugs, nasty
    * Modified File Bkup - no XP version = leave alone
    * Mozy Modified - monthly fee, no trial = don't touch!
    * Novosoft OfficeBackup - antiquated, user-unfriendly
    * RDrive Image - image cloning
    * RealTimeBackup - complete scam - scheduled backups only,
    laborous removal
    * Second Backup - XP incompatible and/or bugs
    * Simple Backup Tool - timed backups only
    * Storactive's LiveBackup - no trial (lo-odds u-gamble stwr)
    * Sync Backup Pro - no go
    * Taskzip - broken link - untestable
    * Two Bright Sparks Autobackup - no go.
    * Yadis - free and worth every penny; yeah dis .. sucks

    I admit I rifled through these programs, some of which were complex
    and prolific and didn't read everything .. and hence might have missed
    something, but nonetheless, I'm also looking for something basic, user-
    friendly aka easy to use .. so no appologies handed out. You may say,
    these software don't do instant backups. Most claim they do. Also I
    never rebooted with each test where I wasn't prompted to.

    BackupOnDemand & FileHamster - close, but no cigars; issues list:
    * Does not save multiple backups!
    * Does not save mirror files, but encrypts files which can only be
    accessed via the software itself!
    * Cannot real time copy to cdrom.
    * PC must be rebooted.
    * gets a broken thumb up, and one star.

  6. Re: Best Backup Software

    On Oct 29, 10:25*pm, "tyuj" wrote:

    > They just dont see the point when mirroring WITH time triggered backup works fine.

    Yeah right, they don't see the REAL VALID POINT of saving multiple
    fresh generations of your work. Evidently you don't see the point
    either. Not surprised.

  7. Re: Best Backup Software

    On Oct 29, 10:33*pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
    > Thats what mirroring means.

    That's one definition.

    > Mirroring has only one meaning.

    Mirror = copy. What do you do when you back up your files?
    Weren't you the one to say mirror <> backup?

    > > Mirroring can be used in a couple-three ways

    > Wrong, as always.

    Used in different verbage such as copy, backup, etc.

    > > and your second comment still stands as ridiculous.

    > Like hell it does.

    Make sense of it for us then.

  8. Re: Best Backup Software

    On Oct 29, 10:34*pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:

    > Mirroring WITH backup will do what you want.

    Not quite and quite oxymoronic.

    > You can have a high frequency of incremental backup and that will protectagainst
    > something changing the file in a way that you dont want, user stupidity, virus etc.

    Throw out some software names if you have any. I'm simply looking for
    a simple program that can detect new files and changes in a file of a
    specified folder .. pretty basic request. No bells or whistles. I'd
    prefer CDR storage for full protection. TIA

  9. Re: Best Backup Software

    Damn! I was in such a hurry because it had already consumed my entire
    f'in day that I didn't see that one of the programs I tested ACTUALLY
    WORKED as desired!!! It might have been filehamster. It was one of the
    later ones. It's getting late. Maybe resume tomorrow. Thanks for the
    input. Sorry to be in a bitching mood. ****ty software will do it ..
    especially when it consumes your entire day!

  10. Re: Best Backup Software

    This just in:

    Absolute Backup Monitor - works in realtime, saves every modified file
    upon update, just what the doc ordered with the exception of these
    issues:
    * Chinese characters!
    * Incoherent filenames!

    Overall, it passes. Pass it on. ABSOLUTE BACKUP MONITOR.

  11. Re: Best Backup Software

    Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote
    > tyuj wrote

    >> They just dont see the point when mirroring WITH time triggered backup works fine.

    > Yeah right, they don't see the REAL VALID POINT
    > of saving multiple fresh generations of your work.

    Doesnt happen with proper incremental backup, ****wit.

  12. Re: Best Backup Software

    Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote

    >> Mirroring WITH backup will do what you want.

    > Not quite

    Corse it does.

    > and quite oxymoronic.

    Wouldnt know what a real oxymoron was if it bit it on its lard arse.

    >> You can have a high frequency of incremental backup
    >> and that will protect against something changing the file
    >> in a way that you dont want, user stupidity, virus etc.

    > Throw out some software names if you have any.

    Just about any modern backup software will do high frequency incremental backup on top of mirroring.

    > I'm simply looking for a simple program that can detect
    > new files and changes in a file of a specified folder ..

    Virtually all decent modern backup software will do that. Its normally called incremental backup.

    > pretty basic request. No bells or whistles. I'd prefer CDR storage for full protection.

    The absolute vast bulk will write to CDR.

  13. Re: Best Backup Software

    Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote:

    > Damn! I was in such a hurry because it had already consumed my entire f'in day that
    > I didn't see that one of the programs I tested ACTUALLY WORKED as desired!!!

    Only because you're too stupid to work out that virtually all of
    them will do what you want fine when combined with mirroring.

    > It might have been filehamster. It was one of the later ones. It's getting late.
    > Maybe resume tomorrow. Thanks for the input. Sorry to be in a bitching mood.
    > ****ty software will do it .. especially when it consumes your entire day!

  14. Re: Best Backup Software

    Previously Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Oct 29, 6:39*pm, Arno Wagner wrote:
    >> Previously Stevep...@gmail.com wrote:
    >> > I've tried almost a dozen so far, most in the $39 range. All had
    >> > issues.
    >> > What I'm after is on-the-fly backup software that instantly backs up
    >> > files as soon as they are modified or created. That's it. 99.9% of
    >> > backup software is time triggered which is pretty damn lame.

    >> It is actually the only real way to do it with most filesystems.

    > Nope. Real time backups are real.

    >> There are just no possibilities to put in hooks that would
    >> not totallty kill filesystem performance.

    > ?

    >> > Anyone know of any backup software that can accomplish this simple
    >> > request? TIA.

    >> No. And the request is not simple from the technological side.

    > Again not true. Software exists that accomplishes this simple task.

    I think you have no clue what you are talking about. The only
    way to do this currently is external journalling.

    Arno

  15. Re: Best Backup Software

    Previously tyuj wrote:
    > Arno Wagner wrote
    >> Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote

    >>> I've tried almost a dozen so far, most in the $39 range. All had issues.

    >>> What I'm after is on-the-fly backup software that instantly backs up
    >>> files as soon as they are modified or created. That's it. 99.9% of
    >>> backup software is time triggered which is pretty damn lame.

    >> It is actually the only real way to do it with most filesystems.

    > Mindlessly silly, most obviously with software RAID which does it fine.

    RAID is not backup.

    Arno

  16. Re: Best Backup Software

    Stevepppp@gmail.com wrote:
    > On-the-fly Backup Software
    > --------------------------
    >
    > I've tested over a dozen backup software programs so far, most in the
    > $40 range. All had issues. Worse, over 90% of backup software is time
    > triggered which is pretty damn lame.
    >
    > What I'm after is what everyone should be after: real time, on-the-fly
    > backup software that instantly backs up files as soon as they are
    > modified or created. That's it.

    You should try also IBM CDP (Continuous Data Protection) I believe there
    is a trial but not sure...

  17. Re: Best Backup Software

    The bozo gang returns in full force!

    On Oct 30, 1:31 am, "tyuj" wrote:
    > >> They just dont see the point when mirroring WITH time triggered backup works fine.

    > > Yeah right, they don't see the REAL VALID POINT
    > > of saving multiple fresh generations of your work.

    > Doesnt happen with proper incremental backup, ****wit.

    FRESH GENERATIONS = INCREMENTAL BACKUP

    Mr. Oxy Moron is truly are an a.hole who needs no introductions.
    Is english your first language?

    >Wouldnt know what a real oxymoron was if it bit it on its lard arse.

    Check your dictionary. You've provide two GLOWING examples of the word
    oxymoron.

    >> Throw out some software names if you have any.

    >Just about any modern backup software will do high frequency incremental >backup on top of mirroring.

    Thanks! I'll go out and buy it! You're chock full of helpful
    information. Take up teaching.

    >> I'm simply looking for a simple program that can detect
    >> new files and changes in a file of a specified folder ..

    > Virtually all decent modern backup software will do that.

    Right! 10% = virtually all. Did you actually read anything I posted? A
    blind person would be more accurate. Congratulations! The vast
    majority of backup software stinks. A lot of it has major bugs. 90% is
    very user-unfriendly. The list goes on and on.

    >> pretty basic request. No bells or whistles. I'd prefer CDR storage for full protection.

    >The absolute vast bulk will write to CDR.

    Ok and? Did you understand the rest of the request? Actually EXTREMELY
    FEW write to CDR on the fly. In fact NONE out of the over 20 I've
    surveyed. Learn the truth soon!

    > > Damn! I was in such a hurry because it had already consumed my entire f'in day that
    > > I didn't see that one of the programs I tested ACTUALLY WORKED as desired!!!

    > Only because you're too stupid to work out that virtually all of
    > them will do what you want fine when combined with mirroring.

    You haven't a f'in clue how smart I am Jim or do you know what the
    word "hurry" means? Do you understand what software bugs are? They are
    real. Everything I stated is true. My only fault is to test dozens of
    software without wasting too much time (because most of it sucks) you
    can easily pass up something germane to this thread, but even then,
    the reason it got overlooked is likely due to bogus software and very
    user-unfriendly which is in itself reason enough to be boycotted. I've
    done the homework here. The only thing you've proven to the world is
    your ignorance.

    > Thats the only definition.

    There are multiple terms you could substitute for the word
    "mirroring." I bet at least a half dozen exist.

    > You quite sure you aint one of those rocket scientist ****wit children ?

    Yip, ain't quite sure ain't! What button do you click when you want to
    save a file, delete?

    > > Weren't you the one to say mirror <> backup?

    > Corse it is on that particular capability.

    Your confession in ignorance is accepted.

    > >> Wrong, as always.

    > > Used in different verbage such as copy, backup, etc.

    > Wrong, as always.

    Dumb as always. So 'copy' doesn't equal 'backup'. Brilliant display of
    intellect.

    > >> Like hell it does.

    > > Make sense of it for us then.

    > You're clearly too stupid.

    Coming from an idiot, I couldn't ask for a better compliment.

    >> Again not true. Software exists that accomplishes this simple task.

    >I think you have no clue what you are talking about.

    Ok software doesn't exist on your planet that accomplishes this task.
    Sorry, I was generalizing.

    >So The only way to do this currently is external journalling.

    Can you clue us in better than this to what planet you come from? Keep
    smoking.

    CHRIS WROTE:
    >You should try also IBM CDP (Continuous Data Protection) I believe there
    >is a trial but not sure...

    Finally someone added something beneficial to this thread other than
    myself. See how it's done boys.. Thanks again, I'll keep that in mind.
    But if you scroll up past the menucia, you find I've already found one
    program that works. It's called: Keepsafe.

    KEEPSAFE.
    KEEPSAFE.
    KEEPSAFE.
    KEEPSAFE.
    KEEPSAFE.
    KEEPSAFE.
    KEEPSAFE.
    KEEPSAFE.
    KEEPSAFE.
    KEEPSAFE.

    It works. The rest suck eggs and so do the trolls here.

  18. Re: Best Backup Software

    On Oct 30, 1:31 am, "tyuj" wrote:
    > > of saving multiple fresh generations of your work.

    > Doesnt happen with proper incremental backup, ****wit.

    FRESH GENERATIONS = INCREMENTAL BACKUP. Mr. Oxy Moron is truly an
    asshole who needs no introductions. Is English your first language?

    >Wouldnt know what a real oxymoron was if it bit it on its lard arse.

    Check your dictionary. You've provide two GLOWING examples of the word
    oxymoron already for us.

    >> Throw out some software names if you have any.

    >Just about any modern backup software will do high frequency incremental >backup on top of mirroring.

    Thanks for the software name! I'll go out and buy it! Clear
    illustration that you are straw. You're chock full of helpful
    information. Take up teaching.

    >> I'm simply looking for a simple program that can detect
    >> new files and changes in a file of a specified folder ..

    > Virtually all decent modern backup software will do that.

    Right! 10% = virtually all. Did you actually read anything I posted? A
    blind person would have been more informative. Congratulations! Fact
    is that the vast majority of backup software stinks. I've proven it. A
    lot has major major bugs. Over 90% is very user-unfriendly and bloated
    with trivialities. The list goes on and on. There's a few that
    actually work ok for scheduled backup, like Retrospect Express (Sold
    at Frys). But that's a small dint.

    >> pretty basic request. No bells or whistles. I'd prefer CDR storage for full protection.

    >The absolute vast bulk will write to CDR.

    Ok and? Did you understand the rest of the request? Actually, you are
    wrong too. Only about 1/2 can save to CD. And EXTREMELY FEW write to
    CD on the fly .. which is my desire. In fact NONE I've surveyed could
    accomplish this simple deed. Fact.

    > > Damn! I was in such a hurry because it had already consumed my entire f'in day that
    > > I didn't see that one of the programs I tested ACTUALLY WORKED as desired!!!

    > Only because you're too stupid to work out that virtually all of
    > them will do what you want fine when combined with mirroring.

    You haven't a f'in clue how smart I am Jim or do you know what the
    word "hurry" means? Do you understand what software bugs are? They are
    real. Everything I stated is true. My only fault is to test dozens of
    software without wasting too much time (because most of it sucks) you
    can easily pass up something germane to this thread, but even then,
    the reason it got overlooked is likely due to bogus software and very
    user-unfriendly which is in itself reason enough to be boycotted. I've
    done the homework here. The only thing you've proven to the world is
    your ignorance.

    > Thats the only definition.

    There are multiple terms you could substitute for the word
    "mirroring." I bet at least a half dozen exist.

    > You quite sure you aint one of those rocket scientist ****wit children ?

    Yip, ain't quite sure ain't! What button do you click when you want to
    save a file, delete?

    > > Weren't you the one to say mirror <> backup?

    > Corse it is on that particular capability.

    Your confession in ignorance is accepted.

    > >> Wrong, as always.

    > > Used in different verbage such as copy, backup, etc.

    > Wrong, as always.

    Dumb as always. So 'copy' doesn't equal 'backup'. Brilliant display of
    intellect.

    > >> Like hell it does.

    > > Make sense of it for us then.

    > You're clearly too stupid.

    Me=Us? But compliment taken just the same. Any villification coming
    from idiots is always appreciated.

    CHRIS WROTE:
    >You should try also IBM CDP (Continuous Data Protection) I believe there
    >is a trial but not sure...

    Finally someone added something beneficial to this thread other than
    myself. See how it's done boys.. Thanks again, I'll keep that in mind.
    But if you scroll up past the menucia, you find I've already found one
    program that works. It's called: Keepsafe.

    KEEPSAFE.
    KEEPSAFE.
    KEEPSAFE.
    KEEPSAFE.
    KEEPSAFE.
    KEEPSAFE.
    KEEPSAFE.
    KEEPSAFE.
    KEEPSAFE.
    KEEPSAFE.

    It works. The rest suck eggs and so do ng trolls. Boo on trolls and
    ****ty software.

  19. Re: Best Backup Software

    On Oct 30, 11:17*am, glenz...@nospam.xmission.com (GMAN) wrote:

    > Iomega Automatic Backup - 1.0.2http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/24305
    >
    > http://www.techsoftpl.com/backup/index.php

    Thanks gman, do you know if IOMEGA AB saves instant backups to cdr?
    TIA.

  20. Re: Best Backup Software

    CHRIS WROTE:

    >You should try also IBM CDP (Continuous Data Protection) I believe there
    >is a trial but not sure...

    Finally someone added something beneficial to this thread other than
    myself. See how it's done boys.. Thanks again, I'll keep that in
    mind.
    But if you scroll up past the menucia, you find I've already found
    one
    program that works. It's called: Absolute Backup Monitor.

    ABSOLUTE BACKUP MONITOR - this one's ok & bears repeating.
    ABSOLUTE BACKUP MONITOR - this one's ok & bears repeating.
    ABSOLUTE BACKUP MONITOR - this one's ok & bears repeating.
    ABSOLUTE BACKUP MONITOR - this one's ok & bears repeating.
    ABSOLUTE BACKUP MONITOR - this one's ok & bears repeating.

    ABM works. Try it. The rest suck eggs and so do ng trolls. Boo on
    trolls and
    ****ty software.