Replacing drive Raid 1 - Storage

This is a discussion on Replacing drive Raid 1 - Storage ; Hello I need a little guidance. Here is my setup. I have an IBM server with an integrated SATA Adaptec Raid 1 controller on the MB. I recently had a drive die in the array. Which according to the Array ...

  1. Replacing drive Raid 1

    Hello
    I need a little guidance.
    Here is my setup. I have an IBM server with an integrated SATA
    Adaptec Raid 1 controller on the MB.
    I recently had a drive die in the array. Which according to the Array
    utiliity was in the port 1 position.
    I was getting the "no bootable drive/no OS" error. I removed the
    drive from the port 1 position and put the drive from the port 0 in
    the port 1 position and it booted great. I get an Array "degraded"
    listed at boot though.
    I purchased an replacement placed it back in the port 0 and was hoping
    that it would automatically add this to the array but it did not. The
    utility list it as a drive but list the second drive from the previous
    array as missing.
    There doesn't seem to be anyway to add this drive manually to the
    array within the utility/setup.
    I am assuming that I have to delete the array and recreate it with
    both drives.
    If this is the case will I get a prompt to select a source and target
    drive when creating the new array?

    Any help will be greatly appreciated!

    Same capacity is listed for both drives in the utility.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. Re: Replacing drive Raid 1

    Previously jawdoc wrote:
    > Hello
    > I need a little guidance.
    > Here is my setup. I have an IBM server with an integrated SATA
    > Adaptec Raid 1 controller on the MB.
    > I recently had a drive die in the array. Which according to the Array
    > utiliity was in the port 1 position.

    ok

    > I was getting the "no bootable drive/no OS" error.

    This does not sound like a dead drive, but rather like a dead array.
    If only one drive in a 2 disk RAID1 dies, the system should still
    work, with the only difference being warnings about the failed drive.

    > I removed the
    > drive from the port 1 position and put the drive from the port 0 in
    > the port 1 position and it booted great.

    Ok, then this controller is trash. That should not happen. It should
    still boot if either disk is fine. Given my own experiences with
    adaptec, I think they removed everybody competent in their development
    team decades ago. However your approach of movind the disk is sound.

    > I get an Array "degraded" listed at boot though.

    As it should be.

    > I purchased an replacement placed it back in the port 0 and was hoping
    > that it would automatically add this to the array but it did not.

    Well, automatic rebuild can lead to accidential deletion
    of data so it typically is not done.

    > The
    > utility list it as a drive but list the second drive from the previous
    > array as missing.

    Ok.

    > There doesn't seem to be anyway to add this drive manually to the
    > array within the utility/setup.

    There should be.

    > I am assuming that I have to delete the array and recreate it with
    > both drives.

    Definitely not.

    > If this is the case will I get a prompt to select a source and target
    > drive when creating the new array?

    Recreation will typically wipe one drive and should never be done
    as replacement for a rebuild!

    > Any help will be greatly appreciated!

    > Same capacity is listed for both drives in the utility.

    > Thanks in advance!

    There is one possibility: The new drive could be slightly smaller.
    Then the drive cannot be added to the existing array. HDD sizes
    vary by something like +/- 1% by manufacturer and model. You can
    either compare the exact secor numbers or byte sizes of both
    drives or get a replacement that is definitely larger, e.g.
    a 300GB replacement for a 250GB array size. Note that this will
    not increase the array size, further replacements just need to
    be larger or the same size as the smallest drive that ever was
    in the array.

    One other hint: Experimenting with rebuild is dangerous. You
    may want to mirror the still working drive to a replacewment
    (using soem imaging software, again the replacement needs to be
    exactly the same size or larger) and put the copy in as
    "good" drive. That way you have the original as backup if something
    goes wrong, _and_ you get a nivce cold spare you can keep handy.
    The downside is that you have to buy an additional disk, but at
    current prices that should not be a worry.

    Arno

+ Reply to Thread