Why does unplugging USB stick WITHOUT dismount destroys always data? - Storage

This is a discussion on Why does unplugging USB stick WITHOUT dismount destroys always data? - Storage ; According to the USB specification I should always be able to unplug an USB stick from my computers without having arsik to loose data. But this is not the case. Whenever I copy something onto my USB stick and plug ...

  1. Why does unplugging USB stick WITHOUT dismount destroys always data?

    According to the USB specification I should always be able to unplug an USB stick
    from my computers without having arsik to loose data.

    But this is not the case.

    Whenever I copy something onto my USB stick and plug the USB stick out
    then all the just copied data is lost.

    Is occurs with different USB sticks and on different computers (under WinXP).

    To prevent data loss I always have to dismount the USB stick first (by clicking on
    the icon in the Systray).

    Is there a way to enable "quick unplug" without having to dismount first?

    Maybe there is an option to allow this.

    J.

  2. Re: Why does unplugging USB stick WITHOUT dismount destroys always data?

    On 21 Oct 2008 20:11:26 GMT jjstacy@yahoo.net (Jason Stacy) wrote in
    Message id: <48fe376e$0$16190$9b4e6d93@newsspool2.arcor-online.net>:

    >According to the USB specification I should always be able to unplug an USB stick
    >from my computers without having arsik to loose data.
    >
    >But this is not the case.
    >
    >Whenever I copy something onto my USB stick and plug the USB stick out
    >then all the just copied data is lost.
    >
    >Is occurs with different USB sticks and on different computers (under WinXP).
    >
    >To prevent data loss I always have to dismount the USB stick first (by clicking on
    >the icon in the Systray).
    >
    >Is there a way to enable "quick unplug" without having to dismount first?
    >
    >Maybe there is an option to allow this.
    >
    >J.

    From Explorer:
    Properties, hardware, select the USB stick, properties, policies. Make
    sure that the check box for "optimize for quick removal" is checked.

  3. Re: Why does unplugging USB stick WITHOUT dismount destroys always data?

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage JW wrote:
    > On 21 Oct 2008 20:11:26 GMT jjstacy@yahoo.net (Jason Stacy) wrote in
    > Message id: <48fe376e$0$16190$9b4e6d93@newsspool2.arcor-online.net>:

    >>According to the USB specification I should always be able to unplug an USB stick
    >>from my computers without having arsik to loose data.
    >>
    >>But this is not the case.
    >>
    >>Whenever I copy something onto my USB stick and plug the USB stick out
    >>then all the just copied data is lost.
    >>
    >>Is occurs with different USB sticks and on different computers (under WinXP).
    >>
    >>To prevent data loss I always have to dismount the USB stick first (by clicking on
    >>the icon in the Systray).
    >>
    >>Is there a way to enable "quick unplug" without having to dismount first?
    >>
    >>Maybe there is an option to allow this.
    >>
    >>J.

    > From Explorer:
    > Properties, hardware, select the USB stick, properties, policies. Make
    > sure that the check box for "optimize for quick removal" is checked.

    You still need to wait for any writes in progress to conclude.
    It is highly advisalbe to "safely remove" even with this setting.

    Arno

  4. Re: Why does unplugging USB stick WITHOUT dismount destroys always data?

    It doesn't, if you have write caching disabled and wait for the transfer of
    data to finish.

+ Reply to Thread