MPIO memory leak - Storage

This is a discussion on MPIO memory leak - Storage ; It appears that MPIO has a memory leak on at least one of my servers server: Windows 2003 SP1 4GB RAM using the /3GB switch in the boot.ini (it's an exchange server) What is happening is as follows. After a ...

  1. MPIO memory leak

    It appears that MPIO has a memory leak on at least one of my servers
    server: Windows 2003 SP1
    4GB RAM using the /3GB switch in the boot.ini (it's an exchange server)
    What is happening is as follows. After a period of a couple of weeks
    various services will start to shut down, eventually the server becomes
    unresponsive with
    Event ID 2019 in the system log "The server was unable to allocate from the
    system nonpaged pool because the pool was empty." After a reboot eveything
    seems fine. Running poolmon shows that after a reboot MPIO is using only
    around 125K of nonpaged pool memory. After a couple of weeks this grows to
    about 45 MB and things start to shut down. I'm running the microsoft iSCSI
    initialtor version 2.07 - and the odd thing is that the release noes say that
    a memory leak in MPIO was fixed in this build. Has anyone here seen this
    before? Does anyone have any ideas on how I can stop this?
    thanks
    paul

  2. Re: MPIO memory leak

    I'm guessing this is using MSCS, if so, it's a known issue. If you are
    not using MSCS then please contact MS PSS and open a case.

    schadenfreude wrote:
    > It appears that MPIO has a memory leak on at least one of my servers
    > server: Windows 2003 SP1
    > 4GB RAM using the /3GB switch in the boot.ini (it's an exchange server)
    > What is happening is as follows. After a period of a couple of weeks
    > various services will start to shut down, eventually the server becomes
    > unresponsive with
    > Event ID 2019 in the system log "The server was unable to allocate from the
    > system nonpaged pool because the pool was empty." After a reboot eveything
    > seems fine. Running poolmon shows that after a reboot MPIO is using only
    > around 125K of nonpaged pool memory. After a couple of weeks this grows to
    > about 45 MB and things start to shut down. I'm running the microsoft iSCSI
    > initialtor version 2.07 - and the odd thing is that the release noes say that
    > a memory leak in MPIO was fixed in this build. Has anyone here seen this
    > before? Does anyone have any ideas on how I can stop this?
    > thanks
    > paul

  3. Re: MPIO memory leak

    Thanks,
    Yes it is a cluster, is there a KB article on it?
    Cheers

    "Kenny Speer" wrote:

    > I'm guessing this is using MSCS, if so, it's a known issue. If you are
    > not using MSCS then please contact MS PSS and open a case.
    >
    > schadenfreude wrote:
    > > It appears that MPIO has a memory leak on at least one of my servers
    > > server: Windows 2003 SP1
    > > 4GB RAM using the /3GB switch in the boot.ini (it's an exchange server)
    > > What is happening is as follows. After a period of a couple of weeks
    > > various services will start to shut down, eventually the server becomes
    > > unresponsive with
    > > Event ID 2019 in the system log "The server was unable to allocate from the
    > > system nonpaged pool because the pool was empty." After a reboot eveything
    > > seems fine. Running poolmon shows that after a reboot MPIO is using only
    > > around 125K of nonpaged pool memory. After a couple of weeks this grows to
    > > about 45 MB and things start to shut down. I'm running the microsoft iSCSI
    > > initialtor version 2.07 - and the odd thing is that the release noes say that
    > > a memory leak in MPIO was fixed in this build. Has anyone here seen this
    > > before? Does anyone have any ideas on how I can stop this?
    > > thanks
    > > paul

+ Reply to Thread