QUERIES : DSMs on Windows Server 2008 - Storage

This is a discussion on QUERIES : DSMs on Windows Server 2008 - Storage ; good afternoon all: we are Arystor ( http://www.arystor.com/ ) and make hardware RAID controllers. we are trying to port our MPIO DSM from Windows Server 2003 (WS3) to Windows Server 2008 (WS8) and are facing some problems. i am sure ...

  1. QUERIES : DSMs on Windows Server 2008

    good afternoon all:

    we are Arystor (http://www.arystor.com/) and make hardware RAID
    controllers.
    we are trying to port our MPIO DSM from Windows Server 2003 (WS3) to
    Windows
    Server 2008 (WS8) and are facing some problems. i am sure that other
    companies will also benefit from this information.

    BACKGROUND
    * Arystor's MPIO DSM, based on GENDSM from MS MPIO DK (MDK) 118, works
    fine
    on WS3.

    * we then ported our DSM to WS8 using MDK121 (latest) and the latest
    Windows
    Driver Kit (WDK).

    * the ported DSM's binary works on both WS3 and WS8, except for a few
    problems.
    these are listed below. note that the same binary works on both WS3
    & WS8.

    * we then experimented with MSDSM that is bundled with WS8 and it is
    excellent.
    however, Arystor's DSM has some optimizations that need to be added
    to MSDSM.
    that's why we tried to build MSDSM from the source code in MDK121.

    * before that, we tried to see if the WS8 MSDSM binary would work on
    WS3.
    it does not. i tried everything: copied WS8 binary to WS3 and also
    built
    MSDSM from source. MSDSM simply does not work on WS3. the error i
    get is
    that the Driver does not get Initialized on WS3.

    * for WS8, we were able to build MSDSM from the source code in the MDK
    tree.
    the MSDSM name was not changed anywhere in the code and all file
    names were
    retained. the build command used was: build -e -MI -cg
    however, even though the driver binary .sys file was built
    correctly,
    we found some important problems, which are given below.

    PROBLEMS
    * Arystor's ported DSM works on WS8. however, the DSM Friendly Name,
    DSM
    Version, and DSM Counters information do not get displayed in the
    MPIO
    Control Panel (mpiocpl.exe) GUI. btw, Arystor's DSM is still
    unsigned.
    why does this happen? i checked and the Friendly Name is returned by
    the
    DSM to MPIO in the DriverEntry() call.

    * after we built MSDSM from MDK121 source, we tried to install it:
    - we first uninstalled MSDSM from the WS8 OS using Device Manager.
    - we then attempted to install MSDSM that we built using:
    - 3rd Party Install in MPIO Control Panel and
    - command line install using MDK install.exe and msdsm.inf.

    we were not able to install MSDSM at all. both times we got the
    strange error:
    "Failure. This operation requires an interactive Windows station."

    * finally, i overwrote WS8 OS msdsm.sys in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
    \
    with the MSDSM that we built using WDK & MDK121 using a trick. then,
    i was not able to see any details such as Friendly Name for MSDSM in
    Driver Details.

    * today, while experimenting, i deleted msdsm.inf and msdsm.pnf from
    C:\Windows\INF\. i then restored the two files. now, MSDSM from WS8
    does not get installed when we try to Install the MPIO Optional
    Component (OC) Feature. now, we have lost the ability to install
    MSDSM from the OS. i tried uninstalling and reinstalling the MPIO
    Feature, but even that does not work now.

    QUERIES
    * why does MPIO Driver Details GUI not display any information about
    the
    Arystor DSM? it should display the Friendly Name which is passed
    from
    the DSM to MPIO.

    * how do we build MSDSM from the source code in the MDK121 tree?

    * do we need to add any of the MOF files from MDK121's mof\ when
    building MSDSM? how do we add the required MOF files for the build?

    * why do we get the error: "Requires an interactive Windows station"
    when attempting to install MSDSM that we built?

    * when we force replace msdsm.sys with the version that we built, why
    does Driver Details not show the DSM Friendly name and DSM Counters
    anymore?

    * i am not able to install MSDSM from the WS8 OS anymore using MPIO
    OC.
    why is that and what can be done to fix this situation?

    Aaron P. D'Souza

  2. Re: QUERIES : DSMs on Windows Server 2008

    Ping me seperately at kenny.speer @ gmail.com and I'll assist as much as
    I can time permitting.

    You have to use the new DSM Type in your init data and also implement
    the V2 classes for WMI. In addition you need to use the DSM specific
    parameters as opposed to the global parameters. This is all documented
    in the current DDK.

    ~kenny

+ Reply to Thread