Mac OS Extended versus Universal Disk Format - Storage

This is a discussion on Mac OS Extended versus Universal Disk Format - Storage ; I am using OS 10.2.8 and Toast Titanium 5.2.3 to back up some files to DVD-R's. I burned each of two backups a different way, and both methods seemed to work okay. Backup DVD #1, choosing Data -> Mac OS ...

  1. Mac OS Extended versus Universal Disk Format

    I am using OS 10.2.8 and Toast Titanium 5.2.3 to back up some files to
    DVD-R's. I burned each of two backups a different way, and both methods
    seemed to work okay.

    Backup DVD #1, choosing

    Data -> Mac OS Extended and PC (Hybrid) CD -> New CD

    Resulted in a burned DVD-R, and GetInfo says that this DVD-R's format is
    Mac OS Extended.

    Backup DVD #2, choosing

    Other -> DVD -> New DVD

    Resulted in a burned DVD-R, and GetInfo says that this DVD-R's format is
    Universal Disk Format.

    Is there really any benefit/problem with doing the backup one way or the other?

    It occurs to me that resource forks may not survive doing it the "New DVD"
    way. I didn't have any files with resource forks in this pair of burns,
    though.

    Thanks.

    --- Joe

  2. Re: Mac OS Extended versus Universal Disk Format

    In article
    ,
    Joe wrote:

    > I am using OS 10.2.8 and Toast Titanium 5.2.3 to back up some files to
    > DVD-R's. I burned each of two backups a different way, and both methods
    > seemed to work okay.
    >
    > Backup DVD #1, choosing
    >
    > Data -> Mac OS Extended and PC (Hybrid) CD -> New CD
    >
    > Resulted in a burned DVD-R, and GetInfo says that this DVD-R's format is
    > Mac OS Extended.
    >

    > Backup DVD #2, choosing
    >
    > Other -> DVD -> New DVD
    >
    > Resulted in a burned DVD-R, and GetInfo says that this DVD-R's format is
    > Universal Disk Format.
    >

    > Is there really any benefit/problem with doing the backup one way or the
    > other?
    >
    > It occurs to me that resource forks may not survive doing it the "New DVD"
    > way. I didn't have any files with resource forks in this pair of burns,
    > though.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --- Joe

    Joe,

    I don't know the answer to the question you asked, but I am posting a
    follow-up to keep this topic alive since I've been checking in to see
    what the difference is. I wonder if a Google search reveals anything
    useful . . .

    Cheers!

    Mudge

    --
    "And if California slides into the ocean like the mystics and
    statistics say it will, I predict this motel will be standing

+ Reply to Thread