HP A3311A/12A arrays- SE & DF: SCSI disks - Storage

This is a discussion on HP A3311A/12A arrays- SE & DF: SCSI disks - Storage ; I have an issue relating SE disks,,,have a bunch of cables but the all three arrays working fine with a bunch of DF disks individuall putting SE disks into array, any of them, than the Scsi controller doesn't recognize the ...

  1. HP A3311A/12A arrays- SE & DF: SCSI disks

    I have an issue relating SE disks,,,have a bunch of cables but the all
    three arrays working fine with a bunch of DF disks individuall<. When
    putting SE disks into array, any of them, than the Scsi controller
    doesn't recognize the disks...in manual there is a difference between SE
    terminator and DF terminator, i only have DF terminators, could that
    point me to a right direction? I assume i'll have to get a SE terminator
    !? What with the cables, i have about 25meters of them...don't have a
    clue do they make a difference, but all of them have same connectors,
    68pin connectors....

    Thanks for leading me through this, i couldn't imagine a better
    playground than old scsi arrays, what a happy fellow am I,

  2. Re: HP A3311A/12A arrays- SE & DF: SCSI disks

    Majki Majk wrote:
    > I have an issue relating SE disks,,,have a bunch of cables but the all
    > three arrays working fine with a bunch of DF disks individuall<. When
    > putting SE disks into array, any of them, than the Scsi controller
    > doesn't recognize the disks...in manual there is a difference between SE
    > terminator and DF terminator, i only have DF terminators, could that
    > point me to a right direction? I assume i'll have to get a SE terminator
    > !? What with the cables, i have about 25meters of them...don't have a
    > clue do they make a difference, but all of them have same connectors,
    > 68pin connectors....
    >
    > Thanks for leading me through this, i couldn't imagine a better
    > playground than old scsi arrays, what a happy fellow am I,

    I have got the note that all three arrays were interconnected
    alltogether on computer. It would be logically due to the pair number of
    cabels and terminators. I have two same arrays and one different, i.e.
    one A3311A and two of 12A. Have 2 pair cabels 68pin, 1 short for
    connecting host buses(A,B), 1 68pin for connecting 12A to a computer
    controller. 5terminators(suppose DF from the pictures).

    Need a perfect combination for DF/SE disks ...

  3. Re: HP A3311A/12A arrays- SE & DF: SCSI disks

    Majki Majk wrote in news:gd94r5$emd$1@news1.carnet.hr
    > Majki Majk wrote:
    > > I have an issue relating SE disks,,,have a bunch of cables but the all
    > > three arrays working fine with a bunch of DF disks individuall<. When
    > > putting SE disks into array, any of them, than the Scsi controller
    > > doesn't recognize the disks...in manual there is a difference between SE
    > > terminator and DF terminator, i only have DF terminators, could that
    > > point me to a right direction? I assume i'll have to get a SE terminator
    > > !? What with the cables, i have about 25meters of them...don't have a
    > > clue do they make a difference, but all of them have same connectors,
    > > 68pin connectors....
    > >
    > > Thanks for leading me through this, i couldn't imagine a better
    > > playground than old scsi arrays, what a happy fellow am I,

    > I have got the note that all three arrays were interconnected
    > alltogether on computer. It would be logically due to the pair number of
    > cabels and terminators. I have two same arrays and one different, i.e.
    > one A3311A and two of 12A. Have 2 pair cabels 68pin, 1 short for
    > connecting host buses(A,B), 1 68pin for connecting 12A to a computer
    > controller. 5terminators(suppose DF from the pictures).
    >
    > Need a perfect combination for DF/SE disks ...

    DF disks and controllers (High Voltage Differential) and SE disks and controllers (standard single ended SCSI) are mutually
    incompatible,
    which is clearly described in the manual.
    Maybe you should read it rather than just look at the pictures?

  4. Re: HP A3311A/12A arrays- SE & DF: SCSI disks

    Squeeze wrote:
    > Majki Majk wrote in news:gd94r5$emd$1@news1.carnet.hr
    >> Majki Majk wrote:
    >>> I have an issue relating SE disks,,,have a bunch of cables but the all
    >>> three arrays working fine with a bunch of DF disks individuall<. When
    >>> putting SE disks into array, any of them, than the Scsi controller
    >>> doesn't recognize the disks...in manual there is a difference between SE
    >>> terminator and DF terminator, i only have DF terminators, could that
    >>> point me to a right direction? I assume i'll have to get a SE terminator
    >>> !? What with the cables, i have about 25meters of them...don't have a
    >>> clue do they make a difference, but all of them have same connectors,
    >>> 68pin connectors....
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for leading me through this, i couldn't imagine a better
    >>> playground than old scsi arrays, what a happy fellow am I,

    >> I have got the note that all three arrays were interconnected
    >> alltogether on computer. It would be logically due to the pair number of
    >> cabels and terminators. I have two same arrays and one different, i.e.
    >> one A3311A and two of 12A. Have 2 pair cabels 68pin, 1 short for
    >> connecting host buses(A,B), 1 68pin for connecting 12A to a computer
    >> controller. 5terminators(suppose DF from the pictures).
    >>
    >> Need a perfect combination for DF/SE disks ...

    > DF disks and controllers (High Voltage Differential) and SE disks and controllers (standard single ended SCSI) are mutually
    > incompatible,
    > which is clearly described in the manual.
    > Maybe you should read it rather than just look at the pictures?

    Yeah, but the Guy which was using it, said to me that they worked as a
    whole DF and SE. I was suspicious, because i got five DF terminators,
    none SE terminator. I cocluded that it would need to work, if SE is only
    in one array attached to another array, let's say from third(SE)
    connected to second(DF)and then to first(DF).

    Thanks.

  5. Re: HP A3311A/12A arrays- SE & DF: SCSI disks

    Majki Majk wrote in news:gdd4ae$cq6$1@news2.carnet.hr
    > Squeeze wrote:
    > > Majki Majk wrote in news:gd94r5$emd$1@news1.carnet.hr

    > > > I have got the note that all three arrays were interconnected
    > > > alltogether on computer. It would be logically due to the pair number of
    > > > cabels and terminators. I have two same arrays and one different, i.e.
    > > > one A3311A and two of 12A. Have 2 pair cabels 68pin, 1 short for
    > > > connecting host buses(A,B), 1 68pin for connecting 12A to a computer
    > > > controller. 5terminators(suppose DF from the pictures).
    > > >
    > > > Need a perfect combination for DF/SE disks ...

    > > DF disks and controllers (High Voltage Differential) and SE disks and
    > > controllers (standard single ended SCSI) are mutually incompatible,
    > > which is clearly described in the manual.
    > > Maybe you should read it rather than just look at the pictures?
    > >

    > Yeah, but the Guy which was using it, said to me that they worked as a
    > whole DF and SE.

    Only if his machine had a LVD or SE controller too.

    > I was suspicious, because i got five DF terminators, none SE terminator.

    So you will have to supply your own then. And a SE or LVD controller too.

    > I cocluded that it would need to work, if SE is only in one array attached
    > to another array, let's say from third(SE) connected to second(DF) and
    > then to first(DF).

    What part of
    DF disks ->and<- controllers (High Voltage Differential) ->and<- SE disks
    ->and<- controllers (standard single ended SCSI) are mutually incompatible,
    did you not get?

    Mixing any makes a non-working combination with even a possibility of destruction.

    > Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread