Capacity size differences in windows managment. - Storage

This is a discussion on Capacity size differences in windows managment. - Storage ; I have a test Windows 2003 server. Im trying to resolve a problem I have seen before in the disk management console of Win2003 (perhaps xp has it sometimes too) The disk is about 250 Gig. The upper screen of ...

  1. Capacity size differences in windows managment.

    I have a test Windows 2003 server. Im trying to resolve a problem I
    have seen before in the disk management console of Win2003 (perhaps xp
    has it sometimes too)

    The disk is about 250 Gig. The upper screen of the comptuer management
    screen shows the list of the drives. The C drive has a capacity of 20
    GB. However the lower screen the one that says disk 0 basic shows the
    C partition as being 129 GB. there are two other partitions that show
    a 39 MB partition (this is the dell backup) and unallocated space of
    102 GB. Somewhere Windows is confused as to the actual size of the C
    partition. Which should be I believe 20 GB. I have a variety of tools
    like ultra boot cd and gtparted but I really dont know how to fix this
    particular problem. Can I edit something in the disk or somewhere to
    make windows and the disk understand what it really should be.

    There is one other thing, which is that I seem to have another drive
    on the system drive F: but this seems to be the same as the C: drive.
    It is not visable in the Computer Management screen but it is visable
    in the "My Computer" window. You see a drive f: click on it and you
    get to the c: drive.

    Regards

  2. Re: Capacity size differences in windows managment.

    On or about Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:04:12 -0700 (PDT) did steve
    dribble thusly:

    >I have a test Windows 2003 server. Im trying to resolve a problem I
    >have seen before in the disk management console of Win2003 (perhaps xp
    >has it sometimes too)
    >
    >The disk is about 250 Gig. The upper screen of the comptuer management
    >screen shows the list of the drives. The C drive has a capacity of 20
    >GB. However the lower screen the one that says disk 0 basic shows the
    >C partition as being 129 GB. there are two other partitions that show
    >a 39 MB partition (this is the dell backup) and unallocated space of
    >102 GB. Somewhere Windows is confused as to the actual size of the C
    >partition. Which should be I believe 20 GB. I have a variety of tools
    >like ultra boot cd and gtparted but I really dont know how to fix this
    >particular problem. Can I edit something in the disk or somewhere to
    >make windows and the disk understand what it really should be.

    It's hard to make anything of this. Maybe a screenshot would help.

    >There is one other thing, which is that I seem to have another drive
    >on the system drive F: but this seems to be the same as the C: drive.
    >It is not visable in the Computer Management screen but it is visable
    >in the "My Computer" window. You see a drive f: click on it and you
    >get to the c: drive.

    You can assign multiple drive letters to the same volume.

  3. Re: Capacity size differences in windows managment.

    Yes its hard to understand I grant you. I have actually resolved it by
    using test disk and removing any partitions that didnt have files it
    it.

    However just for thouroughness When you open the disk manager via
    computer manager there is one window on the right and this window has
    two major divisions. The top which lists the drives eg C: D: etc and
    then the bottom part of the window which actually lists the physical
    disks Drive 0 drive 1 etc. The problem was that there seems to have
    been a difference between the size of the volumes listed in the top
    part of the window from the botom part. (I think if you look at the
    computer management / disk managment window it will be clearer. Anyway
    I loaked the ultimet boot cd then the testdisk program and used the
    data from

    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

    to get rid of partions that seem to be falsly listed. Its not for the
    faint in heart. But once you get the hang of it it really isnt that
    hard. Following this I could now use gparted to increase the size of a
    partion which had failed in the past when I used gparted. So there
    really must have been some goofyness with the partion data that was
    causing gparted to fail.

    Thanks.

  4. Re: Capacity size differences in windows managment.

    On or about Mon, 20 Oct 2008 07:10:09 -0700 (PDT) did steve
    dribble thusly:

    >Yes its hard to understand I grant you. I have actually resolved it by
    >using test disk and removing any partitions that didnt have files it
    >it.
    >
    >However just for thouroughness When you open the disk manager via
    >computer manager there is one window on the right and this window has

    [snip]

    I'm well aware of what the Windows Disk Management snap-in looks like. I
    meant that your description of the problem was too fuzzy, which meant a
    screenshot of your actual numbers (to see if you were misinterpreting
    something) would clarify it.

+ Reply to Thread