older scsi storage array - Storage

This is a discussion on older scsi storage array - Storage ; Array consists of two HBA-s, each has four bay slots, +two ventilators and +two bigger redundant power supplys. It has 8x4.3GB DF Scsi disks inside. (i have another four disks of 9.1GB SE aside). What would be then's and today's ...

  1. older scsi storage array

    Array consists of two HBA-s, each has four bay slots, +two ventilators
    and +two bigger redundant power supplys.
    It has 8x4.3GB DF Scsi disks inside. (i have another four disks of 9.1GB
    SE aside).

    What would be then's and today's usability of this array ? (cca.30GB
    space alltogether)

  2. Re: older scsi storage array

    In article , Majki Majk wrote:
    >Array consists of two HBA-s, each has four bay slots, +two ventilators
    >and +two bigger redundant power supplys.
    >It has 8x4.3GB DF Scsi disks inside. (i have another four disks of 9.1GB
    > SE aside).
    >
    >What would be then's and today's usability of this array ? (cca.30GB
    >space alltogether)

    Todays usage?=Porn Strorage?

  3. Re: older scsi storage array

    GMAN wrote:
    > In article , Majki Majk wrote:
    >> Array consists of two HBA-s, each has four bay slots, +two ventilators
    >> and +two bigger redundant power supplys.
    >> It has 8x4.3GB DF Scsi disks inside. (i have another four disks of 9.1GB
    >> SE aside).
    >>
    >> What would be then's and today's usability of this array ? (cca.30GB
    >> space alltogether)
    >>

    > Todays usage?=Porn Strorage?

    YOu must be a very clever guy, from a movie might be, ha?

  4. Re: older scsi storage array

    On 16/10/08 7:29, in article gd6jev$6u1$1@news1.carnet.hr, "Majki Majk"
    wrote:

    > Array consists of two HBA-s, each has four bay slots, +two ventilators
    > and +two bigger redundant power supplys.
    > It has 8x4.3GB DF Scsi disks inside. (i have another four disks of 9.1GB
    > SE aside).
    >
    > What would be then's and today's usability of this array ? (cca.30GB
    > space alltogether)

    Once upon a time it might have been considered very fast.

    Today it might be considered a nice boat anchor. It's probably heavy enough.

    --
    Joe Kotroczo kotroczo@mac.com

  5. Re: older scsi storage array

    In article , Majki Majk wrote:
    >GMAN wrote:
    >> In article , Majki Majk

    > wrote:
    >>> Array consists of two HBA-s, each has four bay slots, +two ventilators
    >>> and +two bigger redundant power supplys.
    >>> It has 8x4.3GB DF Scsi disks inside. (i have another four disks of 9.1GB
    >>> SE aside).
    >>>
    >>> What would be then's and today's usability of this array ? (cca.30GB
    >>> space alltogether)
    >>>

    >> Todays usage?=Porn Strorage?

    >YOu must be a very clever guy, from a movie might be, ha?

    Seriously, what can you do with 30GB's?

    The electricity to run that array has got to be huge compared to just using a
    modern and cheap EIDE or SATA drive.

  6. Re: older scsi storage array

    Previously Majki Majk wrote:
    > Array consists of two HBA-s, each has four bay slots, +two ventilators
    > and +two bigger redundant power supplys.
    > It has 8x4.3GB DF Scsi disks inside. (i have another four disks of 9.1GB
    > SE aside).

    > What would be then's and today's usability of this array ? (cca.30GB
    > space alltogether)

    Basically sound and heat generation equipment. Everything,
    including speed and reliability, should be better with a
    single modern disk.

    Arno

  7. Re: older scsi storage array

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously Majki Majk wrote:
    >> Array consists of two HBA-s, each has four bay slots, +two ventilators
    >> and +two bigger redundant power supplys.
    >> It has 8x4.3GB DF Scsi disks inside. (i have another four disks of 9.1GB
    >> SE aside).

    >> What would be then's and today's usability of this array ? (cca.30GB
    >> space alltogether)

    > Basically sound and heat generation equipment. Everything,
    > including speed and reliability, should be better with a
    > single modern disk.
    >
    > Arno

    Might be. I find this SCSI disks more reliable...just for their physical
    appearance, they're not so fast, they work at 40mhz...if i'm correct
    about their speed. Seems they're durable opposed to todays modern hard
    disks, which side said i'm afraid to put into computer ;(...

    Thanks for opinions.

  8. Re: older scsi storage array

    In article , Majki Majk wrote:
    >Arno Wagner wrote:
    >> Previously Majki Majk wrote:
    >>> Array consists of two HBA-s, each has four bay slots, +two ventilators
    >>> and +two bigger redundant power supplys.
    >>> It has 8x4.3GB DF Scsi disks inside. (i have another four disks of 9.1GB
    >>> SE aside).

    >>> What would be then's and today's usability of this array ? (cca.30GB
    >>> space alltogether)

    >> Basically sound and heat generation equipment. Everything,
    >> including speed and reliability, should be better with a
    >> single modern disk.
    >>
    >> Arno
    >>

    >Might be. I find this SCSI disks more reliable...just for their physical
    >appearance, they're not so fast, they work at 40mhz...if i'm correct
    >about their speed. Seems they're durable opposed to todays modern hard
    >disks, which side said i'm afraid to put into computer ;(...
    >
    >Thanks for opinions.

    Looks are deceiving. I would never trust my data on 12 year old drives.

  9. Re: older scsi storage array

    Previously GMAN wrote:
    > In article , Majki Majk wrote:
    >>Arno Wagner wrote:

    >>> Basically sound and heat generation equipment. Everything,
    >>> including speed and reliability, should be better with a
    >>> single modern disk.
    >>>
    >>> Arno
    >>>

    >>Might be. I find this SCSI disks more reliable...just for their physical
    >>appearance, they're not so fast, they work at 40mhz...if i'm correct
    >>about their speed. Seems they're durable opposed to todays modern hard
    >>disks, which side said i'm afraid to put into computer ;(...
    >>
    >>Thanks for opinions.

    > Looks are deceiving. I would never trust my data on 12 year old drives.

    Possibly the best age for reliability is between 1 and 5 years of usage.

    Arno

+ Reply to Thread