Scalable File Storage - Storage

This is a discussion on Scalable File Storage - Storage ; Our company stores and serves large number of documents to numerous users simultaneously but there exists an imbalance in frequent access of a document. It gets worst with increased growth of data. We need some solution with the help of ...

  1. Scalable File Storage

    Our company stores and serves large number of documents to numerous
    users simultaneously but there exists an imbalance in frequent access
    of a document. It gets worst with increased growth of data.
    We need some solution with the help of which we could serve our
    documents more efficiently.
    Please suggest.

    --
    MckennaMelissa

  2. Re: Scalable File Storage

    MckennaMelissa kenjka:
    > Our company stores and serves large number of documents to numerous
    > users simultaneously but there exists an imbalance in frequent access
    > of a document. It gets worst with increased growth of data.
    > We need some solution with the help of which we could serve our
    > documents more efficiently.

    EMC Clariion AX4 or CX4...
    IBM DS3xxx or DS4xxx...
    HP EVA storage
    NetApp maybe?
    HDS (Hitachi)?

    Also, consider implementing some kind of content management (eg. EMC
    Documentum or Alfresco)...

    --
    U ormaru se uvijek suncokretov konobaru cupu. By runf

    Damir Lukic, calypso@_MAKNIOVO_fly.srk.fer.hr
    http://inovator.blog.hr
    http://calypso-innovations.blogspot.com/

  3. Re: Scalable File Storage

    MckennaMelissa wrote:
    > Our company stores and serves large number of documents to numerous
    > users simultaneously but there exists an imbalance in frequent access
    > of a document. It gets worst with increased growth of data.
    > We need some solution with the help of which we could serve our
    > documents more efficiently.
    > Please suggest.

    Sun Solaris with ZFS

  4. Re: Scalable File Storage

    It would be hard to suggest a solution if the overall picture is not
    laid out.

    First of all, what kind of document formats are requested and served?
    Plain text files are handled very differently than word or PDF files or
    Images (since there are too many imaging formats!). Please be clear on
    this.

    The next point to consider is: how often does a particular document, on
    average, is requested? Are documents requested every day, every few
    hours, or are they stored initially then requested when a check or
    validation is done? If this happens, is it once or twice during the
    life cycle of a document?

    Are these real time or archival-type documents?

    Considering all these, you could expect a correct solution.

    --
    juliebrown

+ Reply to Thread