What is RAID? - Storage

This is a discussion on What is RAID? - Storage ; and why would I need it?...

  1. What is RAID?

    and why would I need it?

  2. Re: What is RAID?

    Watty wrote:
    > and why would I need it?

    I suggest you Google for RAID for a more comprehensive answer, but in
    short is a technique to make data stored on disk drives less vulnerable
    to hardware errors.

    As for your second question, if you understand what it is, you should
    know why you need it (or not)

  3. Re: What is RAID?

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 09:51:23 -0700, Watty wrote:

    > and why would I need it?

    http://www.killsbugsdead.com/fop_ark.asp

  4. Re: What is RAID?

    Previously Watty wrote:
    > and why would I need it?

    RAID = Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks.

    Obviously to get redundancy by way of using cheap disks
    in an array....

    Arno

  5. Re: What is google?

    Watty wrote:

    >What is RAID, and why would I need it?

    and why would I need it?

  6. Re: What is google?

    chrisv wrote in

    > and why would I need it?

    You don't need it. There are differnet ways to use RAID too and it can be
    used for other purposes than making your data safer. For example, you can
    use it to make 2 HDDs appear as one HDD.

  7. Re: What is google?

    Rotten Ronny wrote:
    > chrisv wrote in
    >
    >> and why would I need it?
    >>

    > You don't need it. There are differnet ways to use RAID too and it can be
    > used for other purposes than making your data safer. For example, you can
    > use it to make 2 HDDs appear as one HDD.

    Well, no. Following your example, the 2 HDDs still appear as two
    separate drives. perhaps you meant "appear as 1 LUN"? Not the same thing.

  8. Re: What is RAID?

    It's a pesticide you spray on trolls when they have fleas.

    "Watty" wrote in message news:Lw5Hk.1981$Ei5.404@flpi143.ffdc.sbc.com...
    > and why would I need it?

  9. Re: What is google?

    "Chris" wrote in message news:gcm8n3$skm$1@aioe.org...
    > Well, no. Following your example, the 2 HDDs still appear as two separate
    > drives. perhaps you meant "appear as 1 LUN"? Not the same thing.

    Whatever. I have an external 1TB HDD that is actually 2 HDDs but appears as
    one in the OS due to the RAID setup it is using.

  10. Re: What is RAID?

    Eric Gisin wrote:
    > It's a pesticide you spray on trolls when they have fleas.
    >
    > "Watty" wrote in message
    >> and why would I need it?

    Yeah Eric, but what the heck does it have to do with computers ?

    LOl.

+ Reply to Thread