Some questions about SAN file managmerment - Storage

This is a discussion on Some questions about SAN file managmerment - Storage ; Hi all, I have some questions about the file managerment system on SAN architecutre. Since I want to build a SAN system that all of the servers can read/ write the same disk volumn simultaneously, a file managerment system is ...

  1. Some questions about SAN file managmerment

    Hi all,

    I have some questions about the file managerment system on SAN
    architecutre.
    Since I want to build a SAN system that all of the servers can read/
    write the same disk volumn simultaneously, a file managerment system
    is needed to control the data access.
    Is there any good data management systems to arbitrate the usage of
    shared storage?

    I have did a brief survey about this kind of system, such as Stornext
    File System, Tivoli SANergy, and Tiger MataSAN.
    Stornext FS and SANergy seem to be the popular systems. They both
    operate at RHEL and Microsoft Windows and provide good
    controllability.
    MataSAN is a new SAN management software. However, the MataSAN server
    is only running on OS X or Windows. RHEL must be the MataSAN client.

    Is there other choice about the file manager?
    Thanks a lot.

  2. Re: Some questions about SAN file managmerment

    Kurt Lin wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have some questions about the file managerment system on SAN
    > architecutre.
    > Since I want to build a SAN system that all of the servers can read/
    > write the same disk volumn simultaneously, a file managerment system
    > is needed to control the data access.
    > Is there any good data management systems to arbitrate the usage of
    > shared storage?
    >
    > I have did a brief survey about this kind of system, such as Stornext
    > File System, Tivoli SANergy, and Tiger MataSAN.
    > Stornext FS and SANergy seem to be the popular systems. They both
    > operate at RHEL and Microsoft Windows and provide good
    > controllability.
    > MataSAN is a new SAN management software. However, the MataSAN server
    > is only running on OS X or Windows. RHEL must be the MataSAN client.
    >
    > Is there other choice about the file manager?
    > Thanks a lot.

    SGI CXFS .
    Client machines: SLES, RHEL, Solaris, Windows, Mac. Oh, but you must
    use SGI Altix systems running SLES as controllers.

    Disclaimer: I work for SGI, and used to work on CXFS.

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not
    - Barry Humphries

  3. Re: Some questions about SAN file managmerment

    Thank you Gary!
    I'll read the data sheet and documents of SGI CXFS to see if it is
    really what I want.

    Besides, I also found some GPL software, such as GFS, GFS2, or OCFS.
    Do you have the experience of using those GPL software?

  4. Re: Some questions about SAN file managmerment

    On Oct 7, 6:41*am, "Gary R. Schmidt" wrote:
    > SGI CXFS .
    > Client machines: SLES, RHEL, Solaris, Windows, Mac. *Oh, but you must
    > use SGI Altix systems running SLES as controllers.

    Does CXFS support a way to flush data caches on all the clients yet ?
    Last time I checked, the metadata cache could be flushed, but the only
    way to get a consistent data image (for point-in-time replication for
    example), is to unmount the file system on all servers.

  5. Re: Some questions about SAN file managmerment

    Does this problem happen frequently?
    I found similar problems in Stornext FS and SANergy.
    It sounds like the SAN file management system is not very stable.

  6. Re: Some questions about SAN file managmerment

    Kurt Lin wrote:
    > Thank you Gary!
    > I'll read the data sheet and documents of SGI CXFS to see if it is
    > really what I want.
    >
    > Besides, I also found some GPL software, such as GFS, GFS2, or OCFS.
    > Do you have the experience of using those GPL software?

    No, sorry, have to stay away from them to avoid copyright pollution.

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not
    - Barry Humphries

  7. Re: Some questions about SAN file managmerment

    belpatCA wrote:
    > On Oct 7, 6:41 am, "Gary R. Schmidt" wrote:
    >> SGI CXFS .
    >> Client machines: SLES, RHEL, Solaris, Windows, Mac. Oh, but you must
    >> use SGI Altix systems running SLES as controllers.

    > Does CXFS support a way to flush data caches on all the clients yet ?
    > Last time I checked, the metadata cache could be flushed, but the only
    > way to get a consistent data image (for point-in-time replication for
    > example), is to unmount the file system on all servers.

    No idea, it's been a couple of years, they could have done just about
    anything!

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not
    - Barry Humphries

  8. Re: Some questions about SAN file managmerment

    Kurt Lin wrote:
    > Does this problem happen frequently?
    > I found similar problems in Stornext FS and SANergy.
    > It sounds like the SAN file management system is not very stable.

    Oh, it's stable, but (as a generalisation) it's stable for
    *performance*, not for shared access.

    After all, 99.9999999% of the potential customers are after speed, not
    sharing.

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not
    - Barry Humphries

  9. Re: Some questions about SAN file managmerment

    On Oct 7, 12:40*pm, belpatCA wrote:
    > On Oct 7, 6:41*am, "Gary R. Schmidt" wrote:
    >
    > > SGI CXFS .
    > > Client machines: SLES, RHEL, Solaris, Windows, Mac. *Oh, but you must
    > > use SGI Altix systems running SLES as controllers.

    > Does CXFS support a way to flush data caches on all the clients yet ?
    > Last time I checked, the metadata cache could be flushed, but the only
    > way to get a consistent data image (for point-in-time replication for
    > example), is to unmount the file system on all servers.

    what is/are the client OS(s)...it currently supports this for Windows
    clients

+ Reply to Thread