Teac FD-505 Dual Disk Drive Nomenclature - Storage

This is a discussion on Teac FD-505 Dual Disk Drive Nomenclature - Storage ; Hello, someone long in business here? Until 1996 was with the Teac FD-505 a Combo (Dual) Floppy Disk Drive available which can handle 3,5" and 5,25" in one device. There were four model lines existing: FD505-000, FD505-100, FD505-200 und FD505-300 ...

  1. Teac FD-505 Dual Disk Drive Nomenclature

    Hello,

    someone long in business here?

    Until 1996 was with the Teac FD-505 a Combo (Dual)
    Floppy Disk Drive available which can handle 3,5" and 5,25"
    in one device. There were four model lines existing:
    FD505-000, FD505-100, FD505-200 und FD505-300
    (http://www.teac.com/DSPD/support/flo...ppy_drives.htm).

    Any ideas what are the differences between these model lines?
    And especially any idea what is the difference between
    FD-505-309-U, FD-505-300-U. Both have the same brezel color
    and I cannot locate a Teac-Nomenclature for that product line
    neither in the internet nor in the specs. Teac itself is also not
    answering.

    Thank you in advance for any hint.

    Best Regards
    Michael Kreienberg

  2. Re: Teac FD-505 Dual Disk Drive Nomenclature

    Previously Michael Kreienberg wrote:
    > Hello,

    > someone long in business here?

    > Until 1996 was with the Teac FD-505 a Combo (Dual)
    > Floppy Disk Drive available which can handle 3,5" and 5,25"
    > in one device. There were four model lines existing:
    > FD505-000, FD505-100, FD505-200 und FD505-300
    > (http://www.teac.com/DSPD/support/flo...ppy_drives.htm).

    > Any ideas what are the differences between these model lines?
    > And especially any idea what is the difference between
    > FD-505-309-U, FD-505-300-U. Both have the same brezel color
    > and I cannot locate a Teac-Nomenclature for that product line
    > neither in the internet nor in the specs. Teac itself is also not
    > answering.

    > Thank you in advance for any hint.

    > Best Regards
    > Michael Kreienberg

    If I remember correctly, these were actually two slimline floppies in
    one case. Any patricular reason why you need the exact specs of a pice
    of historic hardware?

    Arno

  3. Re: Teac FD-505 Dual Disk Drive Nomenclature

    On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 16:51:49 +0200, "Michael Kreienberg"
    put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >Until 1996 was with the Teac FD-505 a Combo (Dual)
    >Floppy Disk Drive available which can handle 3,5" and 5,25"
    >in one device. There were four model lines existing:
    >FD505-000, FD505-100, FD505-200 und FD505-300
    >(http://www.teac.com/DSPD/support/flo...ppy_drives.htm).
    >
    >Any ideas what are the differences between these model lines?

    All I've been able to find is that there appears to be a physical
    difference between the FD505-000 and the FD505-1xx/2xx/3xx:
    http://web.archive.org/web/200603142...f/5fd0010a.pdf

    These documents suggest that "the last three digits denote the color
    of the bezel":
    http://www.teac.com/DSPD/support/flo..._hf_drives.htm
    http://www.teac.com/DSPD/support/flo...your_drive.htm

    OTOH, these docs state that "the suffix denotes the series
    information":
    http://www.teac.com/DSPD/support/flo..._hs_models.htm
    http://www.teac.com/DSPD/support/flo...your_drive.htm

    - Franc Zabkar

  4. Re: Teac FD-505 Dual Disk Drive Nomenclature

    [F'up to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage]

    Hello,

    thank you for the informations. But the product-nomenclature
    differs from Teac model to model. In the meantime I found out
    that FD-505-000/002/052:
    - require the large type power connector (5/12V)
    - have two blocks of jumpers on the 5.25" drive
    - third block of jumpers on the left side of the 34-pin connector
    are not to be changed, they will always be used with its default
    position.

    FD-505-100/200/300:
    - have one block of jumpers
    - need the small type power connector

    Best Regards
    Michael Kreienberg

  5. Re: Teac FD-505 Dual Disk Drive Nomenclature

    Hello,

    > If I remember correctly, these were actually two slimline
    > floppies in one case.

    exactly.

    > Any patricular reason why you need the exact specs of a
    > pice of historic hardware?

    Because I am about to buy such a nice toy and if someone
    has such a (sauce) "boat"-anchor please drop me a line via
    e-mail.

    The background: Even in Germany 3.5" and 5.25" floppies
    are phased out but there are lots of archives with old medias
    and that is the great moment of the historical combo drive.

    Best Regards
    Michael Kreienberg

  6. Re: Teac FD-505 Dual Disk Drive Nomenclature

    Hello,

    "Michael Kreienberg" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > And especially any idea what is the difference between
    > FD-505-309-U, FD-505-300-U. Both have the same brezel color
    > and I cannot locate a Teac-Nomenclature for that product line
    > neither in the internet nor in the specs.

    found out: FD-505-309-U is something proprietary and has a
    yellow LED instead of green like the FD-505-300-U.

    Best Regards
    Michael Kreienberg

+ Reply to Thread