Encryption tools other than PGP? - Storage

This is a discussion on Encryption tools other than PGP? - Storage ; If there's a more appropriate forum in which to ask this, just say the word. - - - Is there a good alternative to PGP for OS X? Looking for recommendations & experiences (anyone can Google...). Thanks, -- DaveC me@bogusdomain.net ...

  1. Encryption tools other than PGP?

    If there's a more appropriate forum in which to ask this, just say the word.
    - - -

    --
    DaveC
    me@bogusdomain.net

  2. Re: Encryption tools other than PGP?

    In <0001HW.C50CBF34001D357EB04379AF@news.sf.sbcglobal. net>, DaveC wrote:

    > Is there a good alternative to PGP for OS X? Looking for recommendations &
    > experiences (anyone can Google...).

    The answer depends on what you want to use encryption for and why you find
    PGP insufficient.

    For email, you can move to using SMIME which Mail.app fully supports. For
    disk and directly encryption there is the built-in FileVault.

    Also note that there are plenty of tools to work with PGP (actually gpg)
    on OS X such as GPG File Tool and others.

    But nobody can answer your question without more information from you
    about what you are trying to achieve.

    Cheers,

    -j

    --
    Jeffrey Goldberg http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/
    I rarely read top-posted, over-quoting or HTML postings.

  3. Re: Encryption tools other than PGP?

    In article <0001HW.C50CBF34001D357EB04379AF@news.sf.sbcglobal. net>,
    DaveC wrote:

    > If there's a more appropriate forum in which to ask this, just say the word.
    > - - -
    > Is there a good alternative to PGP for OS X? Looking for recommendations &
    > experiences (anyone can Google...).
    >
    > Thanks,

    For files, I usually just use Disk Utility to create encrypted disk
    images and throw my stuff into them.

    It would help to know what you want to encrypt...

    --
    Send responses to the relevant news group rather than to me, as

    JR

  4. Re: Encryption tools other than PGP?

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.mac.system.]
    On 2008-10-04, DaveC wrote:

    > Is there a good alternative to PGP for OS X? Looking for recommendations &
    > experiences (anyone can Google...).

    How about GnuPG? Both PGP (commercial software originally created by
    Philip Zimmerman) and GnuPG follow the OpenPGP standard (RFC 4880). If
    you want to sign/verify or encrypt/decrypt email then OpenPGP is
    probably the way to go and GnuPG is the most popular implementation. I
    installed it using MacPorts (sudo port install gnupg) but of course you
    can build it from source:

    http://www.gnupg.org/

    As someone else suggested you could use S/MIME instead, which works
    using certificates.

    On the other hand, if you just want to do traditional symmetric
    encryption of files then there are plenty of alternatives. One is
    openssl which can be used to encrypt using cast, des, des3, idea, rc4,
    rc5 etc. Again I installed it using MacPorts (sudo port install
    openssl).

    Ian

    --
    Ian Gregory