PGP archives & Leopard? - Storage

This is a discussion on PGP archives & Leopard? - Storage ; If there's an encryption / PGP forum that might be a better place to ask this, just say the word. - - - Several years ago (3?) I got a copy of PGP encryption application and created a 1 GB ...

  1. PGP archives & Leopard?

    If there's an encryption / PGP forum that might be a better place to ask
    this, just say the word.
    - - -
    Several years ago (3?) I got a copy of PGP encryption application and created
    a 1 GB archive. The archive is a volume similar to a disk image in that it
    sits on your hard drive and contains any files you choose to place there. The
    difference is that they are encrypted and protected by a passphrase.

    At some point after that installation, after some version upgrade (maybe it
    was OS X 10.3 -> 10.4?), I could no longer put more files in the archive (a
    message would appear saying that this version is incompatible, and for $$$ I
    could upgrade). I never upgraded, but I could still open the archive and
    access my files using the passphrase, so I was content.

    Now that I've upgraded to 10.5, I can't open the archive. No message appears,
    and nothing happens when I double-click on the icon.

    I searched PGP.com but couldn't find any information re. how to get access to
    the data in my archive, even if it's read-only access.

    What's the story on these old-ish encrypted archives and Leopard? Is a full
    install of the latest PGP required, or is there a reader application a la
    Adobe Reader for PGP archives?

    Mac Intel Mini 1.83 GHz / 80 GB / 1 GB
    OS X 10.5.4

    Thanks,
    --
    DaveC
    me@bogusdomain.net

  2. Re: PGP archives & Leopard?

    In article <0001HW.C50C30090215AB6FB01AD9AF@news.sf.sbcglobal. net>,
    DaveC wrote:

    > If there's an encryption / PGP forum that might be a better place to ask
    > this, just say the word.
    > - - -
    > Several years ago (3?) I got a copy of PGP encryption application and created
    > a 1 GB archive. The archive is a volume similar to a disk image in that it
    > sits on your hard drive and contains any files you choose to place there. The
    > difference is that they are encrypted and protected by a passphrase.
    >
    > At some point after that installation, after some version upgrade (maybe it
    > was OS X 10.3 -> 10.4?), I could no longer put more files in the archive (a
    > message would appear saying that this version is incompatible, and for $$$ I
    > could upgrade). I never upgraded, but I could still open the archive and
    > access my files using the passphrase, so I was content.
    >
    > Now that I've upgraded to 10.5, I can't open the archive. No message appears,
    > and nothing happens when I double-click on the icon.
    >
    > I searched PGP.com but couldn't find any information re. how to get access to
    > the data in my archive, even if it's read-only access.
    >
    > What's the story on these old-ish encrypted archives and Leopard? Is a full
    > install of the latest PGP required, or is there a reader application a la
    > Adobe Reader for PGP archives?
    >
    > Mac Intel Mini 1.83 GHz / 80 GB / 1 GB
    > OS X 10.5.4
    >
    > Thanks,

    What PGP do you have? Can it run if you open it (rather than clicking
    the archive)?

  3. Re: PGP archives & Leopard?

    > What PGP do you have? Can it run if you open it (rather than clicking
    > the archive)?

    I downloaded the 30-day trial of the current version (9.9.0). (PGP free
    "reader" that would open archives in read-only mode has been eliminated to
    help boost their stock price.)

    I can open and have access to my archive, so now I must decide whether to
    copy all files to another volume or buy PGP within the trial period ($90 is
    pretty steep for my casual use...)

    Thanks,
    --
    DaveC
    me@bogusdomain.net
    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group

  4. Re: PGP archives & Leopard?

    DaveC wrote:

    > I can open and have access to my archive, so now I must decide whether to
    > copy all files to another volume or buy PGP within the trial period ($90 is
    > pretty steep for my casual use...)

    Since alternatives like encrypted disk images or TrueCrypt are available, why
    would you want to spend $90 on PGP?

  5. Re: PGP archives & Leopard?

    In article <48e76b14$0$13515$bc1648c9@news.kamp.net>,
    Michael Kallweitt wrote:

    > Since alternatives like encrypted disk images or TrueCrypt are available, why
    > would you want to spend $90 on PGP?

    I agree. Mr. Zimmerman is sliding into pre-history. I keep PGP 9 around
    for emails, it stays free for that use; anything else, there are all
    sorts of alternatives.
    --
    W. Oates

  6. Re: PGP archives & Leopard?

    Michael Kallweitt wrote:

    > DaveC wrote:
    >
    > > I can open and have access to my archive, so now I must decide whether to
    > > copy all files to another volume or buy PGP within the trial period ($90 is
    > > pretty steep for my casual use...)

    > Since alternatives like encrypted disk images or TrueCrypt are available, why
    > would you want to spend $90 on PGP?

    I have to agree. I bailed out on PGP when they started charging. I
    used Classic OS's encryption combined with a FWB HD Toolbox's password
    locked disk partition. When I went to Jag, I went to password locked
    disk images (created by Disk Utility). From what I have read, for my
    use, these are as secure as PGP.

    And anymore, I'm not confident on PGP being truly secure. I don't know
    that there isn't some form of back door on it. I can't put my finger on
    it, but there is just something about the PGP arrangement that makes me
    feel it might be vulnerable. How vulnerable am I? All I have is one
    image that has online account passwords, plus the combinations to the
    combo-locks on my storage shed and the kid's school lockers. But still,
    I don't want anyone to get this info should they get to my machine.

    But from what I have read here and elsewhere, I feel more confident in
    Apple's own encryption then I do with PGP, and it is here and already
    paid for as part of the OS, not a pricey third party add-on.

    jt

  7. Re: PGP archives & Leopard?

    In <033d7f45$0$23221$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, Warren Oates wrote:

    >> Since alternatives like encrypted disk images or TrueCrypt are
    >> available, why would you want to spend $90 on PGP?

    > I agree. Mr. Zimmerman is sliding into pre-history. I keep PGP 9 around
    > for emails, it stays free for that use; anything else, there are all
    > sorts of alternatives.

    Forget PGP, but gpg can be used for many valuable things.

    Cheers,

    -j

    --
    Jeffrey Goldberg http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/
    I rarely read top-posted, over-quoting or HTML postings.

  8. Re: PGP archives & Leopard?

    In , jt august wrote:

    > And anymore, I'm not confident on PGP being truly secure. I don't know
    > that there isn't some form of back door on it.

    This is the benefit of widely reviewed, open source security tools. I
    believe that the source for Filevault is part of open darwin, but I may be
    wrong about that.

    -j

    --
    Jeffrey Goldberg http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/
    I rarely read top-posted, over-quoting or HTML postings.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  9. Re: PGP archives & Leopard?

    DaveC wrote:

    > If there's an encryption / PGP forum that might be a better place to ask
    > this, just say the word.
    > - - -
    > Several years ago (3?) I got a copy of PGP encryption application and created
    > a 1 GB archive. The archive is a volume similar to a disk image in that it
    > sits on your hard drive and contains any files you choose to place there. The
    > difference is that they are encrypted and protected by a passphrase.
    >
    > At some point after that installation, after some version upgrade (maybe it
    > was OS X 10.3 -> 10.4?), I could no longer put more files in the archive (a
    > message would appear saying that this version is incompatible, and for $$$ I
    > could upgrade). I never upgraded, but I could still open the archive and
    > access my files using the passphrase, so I was content.
    >
    > Now that I've upgraded to 10.5, I can't open the archive. No message appears,
    > and nothing happens when I double-click on the icon.
    >
    > I searched PGP.com but couldn't find any information re. how to get access to
    > the data in my archive, even if it's read-only access.
    >
    > What's the story on these old-ish encrypted archives and Leopard? Is a full
    > install of the latest PGP required, or is there a reader application a la
    > Adobe Reader for PGP archives?

    This is exactly the type of thing that made me very glad Apple lets you
    create encrypted disk images with Disk Utility.

    --
    Send responses to the relevant news group rather than to me, as

    JR

  10. Re: PGP archives & Leopard?

    In article <0001HW.C50CB778001B659CB01AD9AF@news.sf.sbcglobal. net>,
    DaveC wrote:

    > > What PGP do you have? Can it run if you open it (rather than clicking
    > > the archive)?

    > I downloaded the 30-day trial of the current version (9.9.0). (PGP free
    > "reader" that would open archives in read-only mode has been eliminated to
    > help boost their stock price.)
    >
    > I can open and have access to my archive, so now I must decide whether to
    > copy all files to another volume or buy PGP within the trial period ($90 is
    > pretty steep for my casual use...)
    >
    > Thanks,

    If I were you, I'd move the files to an Apple Disk Utility-born disk
    image and be done with it.

    --
    Send responses to the relevant news group rather than to me, as

    JR

  11. Re: PGP archives & Leopard?

    In article ,
    Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:

    > This is the benefit of widely reviewed, open source security tools. I
    > believe that the source for Filevault is part of open darwin, but I may be
    > wrong about that.

    You can download the source-code for PGP and examine it. You can even
    compile it yourself.
    --
    W. Oates

  12. Re: PGP archives & Leopard?

    In <00abd607$0$10307$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, Warren Oates wrote:

    > Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
    >
    >> This is the benefit of widely reviewed, open source security tools. I
    >> believe that the source for Filevault is part of open darwin, but I may be
    >> wrong about that.

    > You can download the source-code for PGP and examine it. You can even
    > compile it yourself.

    Thanks. I had hoped that that was still the case with PGP, but I didn't
    know.

    Cheers,

    -j

    --
    Jeffrey Goldberg http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/
    I rarely read top-posted, over-quoting or HTML postings.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

+ Reply to Thread