Humpty Dumpty (Dead Hard Drive) Returns - Storage

This is a discussion on Humpty Dumpty (Dead Hard Drive) Returns - Storage ; Well, my $75 investment to restore the drive was worth it. As it turns out, it spun up for them, and they quickly recovered the entire drive to a 320G external drive I had given them. I'm now about to ...

  1. Humpty Dumpty (Dead Hard Drive) Returns

    Well, my $75 investment to restore the drive was worth it. As it turns out,
    it spun up for them, and they quickly recovered the entire drive to a 320G
    external drive I had given them. I'm now about to use unstoppable to create
    on a new HD a bootable copy of what they gave me. If that doesn't work, at
    least I've got all my data back. In any case, I will likely by a Vista PC.
    The machine that misfired is 5 years old, and I need some more zip that I
    have.

  2. Re: Humpty Dumpty (Dead Hard Drive) Returns

    wtw wrote:
    > Well, my $75 investment to restore the drive was worth it. As it turns out,
    > it spun up for them, and they quickly recovered the entire drive to a 320G
    > external drive I had given them.

    Good!
    I'm now about to use unstoppable to create
    > on a new HD a bootable copy of what they gave me. If that doesn't work, at
    > least I've got all my data back. In any case, I will likely by a Vista PC.

    Ha! Big mistake! :>)

    > The machine that misfired is 5 years old, and I need some more zip that I
    > have.

    You certainly do

  3. Re: Humpty Dumpty (Dead Hard Drive) Returns

    If you're expecting a new Vista PC do be zippier than what you have now,
    make sure it has at least 2GB RAM or I fear you'll be sorely
    disappointed -- Vista's (realistic) memory requirements are considerably
    higher than XP's and certainly higher than Microsoft claims it will run
    comfortably with.

+ Reply to Thread