Re: Chkdsk 4TB doesn't complete - Storage

This is a discussion on Re: Chkdsk 4TB doesn't complete - Storage ; Seems like it shouldn't be a problem but lets ask them here. x-posted to:microsoft.public.storage http://www.microsoft.com/communities...4-4e98e766ac15 -- Regards, Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup. Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] http://www.microsoft.com/protect "tbrox" wrote: > Dave, > > ...

  1. Re: Chkdsk 4TB doesn't complete

    --

    Regards,

    "tbrox" wrote:
    > Dave,
    >
    > I have read that one before. All it seems to state is that in order to
    > access over 2TB of space the drive has to use GPT instead of MBR and I
    > must
    > have Windows server 2003 SP1 or Windows Vista.
    >
    > Here is what I'm asking. During a reboot when I trigger a check disk the
    > disk checking is taking place before the GUI loads and before Windows
    > Vista
    > loads. So I'm wondering if since Vista has not completely loaded yet is
    > chkdsk able to access the drive since I had to use GPT instead of MBR to
    > access the full 4TB. Once Vista has loaded completely accessing the 4TB
    > is
    > not a problem.
    >
    > Tbrox
    > --
    > Tbrox
    >

    > "Dave Patrick" wrote:
    >
    >> This article may help.
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...e/LUN_SP1.mspx
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    >> Microsoft Certified Professional
    >> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >>

    >> "tbrox" wrote:
    >> > I'm runninng Vista Business 32 bit. I have an external USB drive RAID
    >> > unit
    >> > made my DROBO. I have formatted the unit to 4TB which means the filing
    >> > system
    >> > must be GPT. When I want to check the drive for errors using chkdsk
    >> > upon
    >> > my
    >> > next reboot my computer will go through the checks but when it comes
    >> > time
    >> > finish the checking and reboot my computer just hangs and I have to use
    >> > the
    >> > reset button. Upon the next bootup I have to cancel the file system
    >> > check
    >> > if
    >> > I want my computer to boot up properly. If I remove 2 of my drives
    >> > from
    >> > the
    >> > RAID and format the DROBO to only 2TB chkdsk testing and rebooting work
    >> > properly.
    >> >
    >> > My question is: Is there a 2TB and MBR limit to the chkdks upon reboot
    >> > function?
    >> >
    >> > I have been searching but can't find anything about chkdsk limits. The
    >> > people at DROBO tell me that they can not duplicate the problem. I have
    >> > duplicated the problem on 3 different Windows Vista computers. I think
    >> > they
    >> > are yanking my chain
    >> > --
    >> > Tbrox

  2. Re: Chkdsk 4TB doesn't complete

    Thanks Dave
    --
    Tbrox

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Seems like it shouldn't be a problem but lets ask them here. x-posted
    > to:microsoft.public.storage
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities...4-4e98e766ac15
    >

    > --
    >
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "tbrox" wrote:
    > > Dave,
    > >
    > > I have read that one before. All it seems to state is that in order to
    > > access over 2TB of space the drive has to use GPT instead of MBR and I
    > > must
    > > have Windows server 2003 SP1 or Windows Vista.
    > >
    > > Here is what I'm asking. During a reboot when I trigger a check disk the
    > > disk checking is taking place before the GUI loads and before Windows
    > > Vista
    > > loads. So I'm wondering if since Vista has not completely loaded yet is
    > > chkdsk able to access the drive since I had to use GPT instead of MBR to
    > > access the full 4TB. Once Vista has loaded completely accessing the 4TB
    > > is
    > > not a problem.
    > >
    > > Tbrox
    > > --
    > > Tbrox
    > >

    > > "Dave Patrick" wrote:
    > >
    > >> This article may help.
    > >>
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...e/LUN_SP1.mspx
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Regards,
    > >>
    > >> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    > >> Microsoft Certified Professional
    > >> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

+ Reply to Thread