Dead Hard Drive? - Storage

This is a discussion on Dead Hard Drive? - Storage ; Surprise of surprises. My main hd is giving me the black screen routine. It wants me to slip in a disk to boot up. What I disk? I tried my install CD, but I don't think that's the story. In ...

  1. Dead Hard Drive?

    Surprise of surprises. My main hd is giving me the black screen routine. It
    wants me to slip in a disk to boot up. What I disk? I tried my install CD,
    but I don't think that's the story.

    In any case,I took out the hd and put it into another machine. It was not
    detected. However, I'm not convinced there was some other difficulty there.
    So let me ask if that was right, then I would think the hd is dead. Possibly
    it doesn't power up. How would anyone get data off it if there's no way to
    power it up or even if some mechanical failure occurred?

    I suppose it could be the case it does receive power. If so what's the next
    step to get at the data or find out what's ailing it?

  2. Re: Dead Hard Drive?

    wtw wrote:

    > Surprise of surprises. My main hd is giving me the black screen routine. It
    > wants me to slip in a disk to boot up. What I disk? I tried my install CD,
    > but I don't think that's the story.
    >
    > In any case,I took out the hd and put it into another machine. It was not
    > detected. However, I'm not convinced there was some other difficulty there.
    > So let me ask if that was right, then I would think the hd is dead. Possibly
    > it doesn't power up. How would anyone get data off it if there's no way to
    > power it up or even if some mechanical failure occurred?
    >
    > I suppose it could be the case it does receive power. If so what's the next
    > step to get at the data or find out what's ailing it?

    Power up your time machine, and pop back to a time when you could have
    backed up your data. On the off chance that you don't have a time machine,
    at least learn from your mistake. :-)
    --
    Cheers, Bob

  3. Re: Dead Hard Drive?

    Much of it is backed up.

    "Bob Willard" wrote in message
    news:dcCdnTM5UvDjiX_VnZ2dnUVZ_qTinZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > wtw wrote:
    >
    >> Surprise of surprises. My main hd is giving me the black screen routine.
    >> It wants me to slip in a disk to boot up. What I disk? I tried my install
    >> CD, but I don't think that's the story.
    >>
    >> In any case,I took out the hd and put it into another machine. It was not
    >> detected. However, I'm not convinced there was some other difficulty
    >> there. So let me ask if that was right, then I would think the hd is
    >> dead. Possibly it doesn't power up. How would anyone get data off it if
    >> there's no way to power it up or even if some mechanical failure
    >> occurred?
    >>
    >> I suppose it could be the case it does receive power. If so what's the
    >> next step to get at the data or find out what's ailing it?

    > Power up your time machine, and pop back to a time when you could have
    > backed up your data. On the off chance that you don't have a time
    > machine,
    > at least learn from your mistake. :-)
    > --
    > Cheers, Bob

  4. Re: Dead Hard Drive?

    Previously wtw wrote:
    > Much of it is backed up.

    Good. Next step: Decide what the non-backed up part is worth.
    If it is basically nothing, you can experiment. If it is
    worth a lot, then do not mess with the disk.

    Arno

    > "Bob Willard" wrote in message
    > news:dcCdnTM5UvDjiX_VnZ2dnUVZ_qTinZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >> wtw wrote:
    >>
    >>> Surprise of surprises. My main hd is giving me the black screen routine.
    >>> It wants me to slip in a disk to boot up. What I disk? I tried my install
    >>> CD, but I don't think that's the story.
    >>>
    >>> In any case,I took out the hd and put it into another machine. It was not
    >>> detected. However, I'm not convinced there was some other difficulty
    >>> there. So let me ask if that was right, then I would think the hd is
    >>> dead. Possibly it doesn't power up. How would anyone get data off it if
    >>> there's no way to power it up or even if some mechanical failure
    >>> occurred?
    >>>
    >>> I suppose it could be the case it does receive power. If so what's the
    >>> next step to get at the data or find out what's ailing it?

    >> Power up your time machine, and pop back to a time when you could have
    >> backed up your data. On the off chance that you don't have a time
    >> machine,
    >> at least learn from your mistake. :-)
    >> --
    >> Cheers, Bob

  5. Re: Dead Hard Drive?

    See my note to Arno about the value.

    I just called our local computer shop, and they say they have hardware
    tricks that can possibly spin up the drive. $75/hour. I think I'm going to
    take them up on one hour.
    I'd also like to know what the h/w tricks are.

    "Arno Wagner" wrote in message
    > Previously wtw wrote:
    >> Much of it is backed up.

    > Good. Next step: Decide what the non-backed up part is worth.
    > If it is basically nothing, you can experiment. If it is
    > worth a lot, then do not mess with the disk.
    >
    > Arno
    >
    >> "Bob Willard" wrote in message
    >> news:dcCdnTM5UvDjiX_VnZ2dnUVZ_qTinZ2d@comcast.com. ..

    >>> Power up your time machine, and pop back to a time when you could have
    >>> backed up your data. On the off chance that you don't have a time
    >>> machine,
    >>> at least learn from your mistake. :-)
    >>> --
    >>> Cheers, Bob

  6. Re: Dead Hard Drive?

    wtw wrote:
    > I just called our local computer shop, and they say they have hardware
    > tricks that can possibly spin up the drive. $75/hour. I think I'm going to
    > take them up on one hour.
    > I'd also like to know what the h/w tricks are.

    Probably to replace the electronics of the drive. Some people claim that
    freezing the drive can bring it back from death, for a short time.

    As other said, better not mess with the drive if you have the only copy
    of data you care about on it

  7. Re: Dead Hard Drive?

    Previously Chris wrote:
    > wtw wrote:
    >> I just called our local computer shop, and they say they have hardware
    >> tricks that can possibly spin up the drive. $75/hour. I think I'm going to
    >> take them up on one hour.
    >> I'd also like to know what the h/w tricks are.
    >>

    > Probably to replace the electronics of the drive. Some people claim that
    > freezing the drive can bring it back from death, for a short time.

    For some very specific problems, e.g. slowly heat-damaged
    semiconductors, this can work. The point is not the freezing, but the
    operation significantly colder than the temperature where it fails.
    Also may work for other devices.

    Arno

  8. Re: Dead Hard Drive?

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously Chris wrote:
    >> wtw wrote:
    >>> I just called our local computer shop, and they say they have
    >>> hardware tricks that can possibly spin up the drive. $75/hour. I
    >>> think I'm going to take them up on one hour.
    >>> I'd also like to know what the h/w tricks are.
    >>>

    >> Probably to replace the electronics of the drive. Some people claim
    >> that freezing the drive can bring it back from death, for a short
    >> time.

    > For some very specific problems, e.g. slowly heat-damaged
    > semiconductors, this can work. The point is not the freezing, but the
    > operation significantly colder than the temperature where it fails.
    > Also may work for other devices.

    The other things freezing can help with is a dry joint or cracked trace,
    just the thermal effect making a usable connection for a while.

  9. Re: Dead Hard Drive?

    John James wrote in news:6khtb9F81tmoU1@mid.individual.net
    > Arno Wagner wrote:
    > > Previously Chris wrote:
    > > > >
    > > > Probably to replace the electronics of the drive. Some people claim
    > > > that freezing the drive can bring it back from death, for a short
    > > > time.

    > > For some very specific problems, e.g. slowly heat-damaged
    > > semiconductors, this can work. The point is not the freezing, but the
    > > operation significantly colder than the temperature where it fails.
    > > Also may work for other devices.

    > The other things freezing can help with is a dry joint or cracked trace,
    > just the thermal effect making a usable connection for a while.

    Which falls in the same category.

  10. Re: Dead Hard Drive?

    Previously John James wrote:
    > Arno Wagner wrote:
    >> Previously Chris wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> Probably to replace the electronics of the drive. Some people claim
    >>> that freezing the drive can bring it back from death, for a short
    >>> time.

    >> For some very specific problems, e.g. slowly heat-damaged
    >> semiconductors, this can work. The point is not the freezing, but the
    >> operation significantly colder than the temperature where it fails.
    >> Also may work for other devices.

    > The other things freezing can help with is a dry joint or cracked trace,
    > just the thermal effect making a usable connection for a while.

    Yes, that is another one.

    Arno

+ Reply to Thread