3-high SATA disk enclosures; Any comments ? - Storage

This is a discussion on 3-high SATA disk enclosures; Any comments ? - Storage ; I'm looking at these disk enclosures and trying to decide which to get. I like big fans but I've heard complaints that the ICY fan (80MM) is loud. OTOH, I dislike tiny fans and would want to hook up fan-failure ...

  1. 3-high SATA disk enclosures; Any comments ?

    I'm looking at these disk enclosures and trying to decide which to
    get. I like big fans but I've heard complaints that the ICY fan
    (80MM) is loud. OTOH, I dislike tiny fans and would want to hook up
    fan-failure or over-temp alarms if I get the KINGWIN.

    KINGWIN KF-3000-BK 3.5" Internal hot swap rack raid-3 bay - Retail

    ICY DOCK MB453IPF-B 3 in 2 SATA/SAS Backplane Module - Retail

    Comments?

    --
    Al Dykes

  2. Re: 3-high SATA disk enclosures; Any comments ?

    Previously Al Dykes wrote:

    > I'm looking at these disk enclosures and trying to decide which to
    > get. I like big fans but I've heard complaints that the ICY fan
    > (80MM) is loud. OTOH, I dislike tiny fans and would want to hook up
    > fan-failure or over-temp alarms if I get the KINGWIN.

    > KINGWIN KF-3000-BK 3.5" Internal hot swap rack raid-3 bay - Retail

    Generally, you can expet 40mm Fans to be much louder than 80mm
    ones at the same airflow. They also run faster and have a tendency
    towards "howling" and shorter lifetime.

    > ICY DOCK MB453IPF-B 3 in 2 SATA/SAS Backplane Module - Retail

    I like it better for the fan. Also it says the fan is detachable,
    i.e. you may be able to attach a better one. If you want quietm
    you probably have to modify all of these server-type estensions where
    noise is not a design consideration.

    Arno

+ Reply to Thread