how do I know which program is preventing a usb storage deviceremoval? - Storage

This is a discussion on how do I know which program is preventing a usb storage deviceremoval? - Storage ; Hi, guys? How do I get to know which program is preventing a usb storage device safe removal? Thanks for any clue Francisco...

  1. how do I know which program is preventing a usb storage deviceremoval?

    Hi, guys?

    How do I get to know which program is preventing a usb storage device
    safe removal?

    Thanks for any clue
    Francisco

  2. Re: how do I know which program is preventing a usb storage device removal?

    Hi, Chico

    If the issue is a veto on a query for removal, you can look for which
    application has the reference on the device. You can use oh.exe, or Process
    Explorer may help identify this.

    Here is a more detailed how to:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/processlock.htm
    The post is about when you try to delete a file and get access violation,
    but should be the same with USB storage removal.

    Hope it helps!
    --Malu

    --
    Malu Menezes [MSFT]
    ------------------------------

    "Chico" wrote in message
    > Hi, guys?
    >
    > How do I get to know which program is preventing a usb storage device
    > safe removal?
    >
    > Thanks for any clue
    > Francisco

  3. Re: how do I know which program is preventing a usb storage deviceremoval?

    Thanks a lot, Malu!

    Chico

    Malu Menezes [MSFT] escreveu:

    > Hi, Chico
    >
    > If the issue is a veto on a query for removal, you can look for which
    > application has the reference on the device. You can use oh.exe, or Process
    > Explorer may help identify this.
    >
    > Here is a more detailed how to:
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/processlock.htm
    > The post is about when you try to delete a file and get access violation,
    > but should be the same with USB storage removal.
    >
    > Hope it helps!
    > --Malu
    >

    > --
    > Malu Menezes [MSFT]
    > ------------------------------
    > Messages posted to this newsgroup are provided "AS IS" with no warranties,
    > and confer no rights.
    > Check the Storage Solutions Division Team blog at
    > http://blogs.technet.com/filecab

  4. Re: how do I know which program is preventing a usb storage device removal?

    :-)

    "Chico" wrote in message
    > Thanks a lot, Malu!
    >
    > Chico
    >

    > Malu Menezes [MSFT] escreveu:
    >
    >> Hi, Chico
    >>
    >> If the issue is a veto on a query for removal, you can look for which
    >> application has the reference on the device. You can use oh.exe, or
    >> Process
    >> Explorer may help identify this.
    >>
    >> Here is a more detailed how to:
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/processlock.htm
    >> The post is about when you try to delete a file and get access violation,
    >> but should be the same with USB storage removal.
    >>
    >> Hope it helps!
    >> --Malu
    >>

    >> --
    >> Malu Menezes [MSFT]
    >> ------------------------------
    >> Messages posted to this newsgroup are provided "AS IS" with no
    >> warranties,
    >> and confer no rights.
    >> Check the Storage Solutions Division Team blog at
    >> http://blogs.technet.com/filecab

  5. Re: SOLVED how do I know which program is preventing a usb storagedevice removal?

    Just a little follow up:

    using Process Explorer, one may use the link Malu kindly provided
    (http://windowsxp.mvps.org/processlock.htm) and issue a search with
    "\device\harddisk" as keyword.

    Thanks again, Malu

    Chico

    Malu Menezes [MSFT] escreveu:

    > Hi, Chico
    >
    > If the issue is a veto on a query for removal, you can look for which
    > application has the reference on the device. You can use oh.exe, or Process
    > Explorer may help identify this.
    >
    > Here is a more detailed how to:
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/processlock.htm
    > The post is about when you try to delete a file and get access violation,
    > but should be the same with USB storage removal.
    >
    > Hope it helps!
    > --Malu
    >

    > --
    > Malu Menezes [MSFT]
    > ------------------------------
    > Messages posted to this newsgroup are provided "AS IS" with no warranties,
    > and confer no rights.
    > Check the Storage Solutions Division Team blog at
    > http://blogs.technet.com/filecab
    >

    > "Chico" wrote in message
    > > Hi, guys?
    > >
    > > How do I get to know which program is preventing a usb storage device
    > > safe removal?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any clue
    > > Francisco

+ Reply to Thread