Consolidating SAN Islands - Storage

This is a discussion on Consolidating SAN Islands - Storage ; when thinking about consolidating SAN islands into one large SAN versus keeping SANs less complex I recently read an article with pros and cons. The problem is I can't find it anymore ;-( The article states that a few years ...

  1. Consolidating SAN Islands

    when thinking about consolidating SAN islands into one large SAN versus
    keeping SANs less complex I recently read an article with pros and cons.

    The problem is I can't find it anymore ;-(
    The article states that a few years ago the goal of IT departments was
    to consolidate SAN islands. But this has changed and today companies
    thinking about to keeps SANs more clearly arranged.

    Are there any best practices and arguments how to keep SANs less
    complex? Without loosing the benefit of less administration efforts?
    SAN is 500+ servers and about 1PB of storage.

    On a large SAN there are e.g.less switches, there is more flexibility
    etc. On the other hand side smaller SANs are more clearly arranged and
    easier to manage.
    I appreciate your comments.

    Best regards,
    Dik
    --

  2. Re: Consolidating SAN Islands

    Have a look at Ciscos VSAN feature. It can give you the best of both
    worlds, consolidation plus separation of control plane and
    administration (i.e. you can keep your smaller logical fabrics on a
    consolidated physical infrastructure.

    Ralf

    Dik schrieb:
    > when thinking about consolidating SAN islands into one large SAN versus
    > keeping SANs less complex I recently read an article with pros and cons.
    >
    > The problem is I can't find it anymore ;-(
    > The article states that a few years ago the goal of IT departments was
    > to consolidate SAN islands. But this has changed and today companies
    > thinking about to keeps SANs more clearly arranged.
    >
    > Are there any best practices and arguments how to keep SANs less
    > complex? Without loosing the benefit of less administration efforts?
    > SAN is 500+ servers and about 1PB of storage.
    >
    > On a large SAN there are e.g.less switches, there is more flexibility
    > etc. On the other hand side smaller SANs are more clearly arranged and
    > easier to manage.
    > I appreciate your comments.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Dik