certification for SAN - Tell me which is good - Storage

This is a discussion on certification for SAN - Tell me which is good - Storage ; Hi all, I need a help. Tell me which certification will be the best. I have already completed STF [storage technology foundations] from EMC and planning for a career in SAN. I am confused in deciding the best vendor for ...

  1. certification for SAN - Tell me which is good

    Hi all,

    I need a help.

    Tell me which certification will be the best.

    I have already completed STF [storage technology foundations] from EMC
    and planning for a career in SAN.

    I am confused in deciding the best vendor for SAN.

    Kindly help me out..

    Thanks in advance,
    Deepaksamraj D

  2. Re: certification for SAN - Tell me which is good

    deepaksamraj wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >

    > I need a help.
    >
    > Tell me which certification will be the best.

    CNE, Cetified Novell Engineer.

  3. Re: certification for SAN - Tell me which is good

    Hi!

    deepaksamraj wrote:

    > I need a help.
    >
    > Tell me which certification will be the best.
    >
    > I have already completed STF [storage technology foundations] from EMC
    > and planning for a career in SAN.
    >
    > I am confused in deciding the best vendor for SAN.

    There's no such thing as "the best SAN vendor". I'm working with EMC and
    Dell, educating for NetApp and all I can say that all of them have some
    advantages and disadvantages, among all similarities.

    If you become very familiar with EMC, you will not have any problem
    understanding IBM, HP or other systems and differences among them.

    With best regards,

    Iggy

  4. Re: certification for SAN - Tell me which is good

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 06:20:50 -0700 (PDT), deepaksamraj
    wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >

    >I need a help.
    >
    >Tell me which certification will be the best.
    >
    >I have already completed STF [storage technology foundations] from EMC
    >and planning for a career in SAN.
    >
    >I am confused in deciding the best vendor for SAN.
    >
    >Kindly help me out..
    >

    >Thanks in advance,
    >Deepaksamraj D

    I'm not sure I've ever heard of someone making a "career in SAN" since
    it's simply a technology. You might want a career in storage but that
    means you'll need more under your belt than just SAN. Alot more
    actually.

    But in any case, if you want a career in storage starting out on a
    specific vendor usually means specific companies. For instance,
    company A is looking for an HDS admin while company B is looking for
    an EMC admin. If you've chosen the EMC education (presumably you've
    no experience) then you can really only apply to company B.
    But if you've educated yourself on concepts of FC, drive mechanics,
    raid levels, etc. then you could apply to either.

    Teaching someone how to use a few software windows is easy, finding
    someone who understands storage and it's underlying mechanics is not.

    ~F

  5. Re: certification for SAN - Tell me which is good

    On Sep 29, 7:13*am, Faeandar wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 06:20:50 -0700 (PDT), deepaksamraj
    >

    > wrote:
    > >Hi all,

    > >I need a help.

    > >Tell me which certification will be the best.

    > >I have already completed STF [storage technology foundations] from EMC
    > >and planning for a career in SAN.

    > >I am confused in deciding the best vendor for SAN.

    > >Kindly help me out..

    > >Thanks in advance,
    > >Deepaksamraj D

    > I'm not sure I've ever heard of someone making a "career in SAN" since
    > it's simply a technology. *You might want a career in storage but that
    > means you'll need more under your belt than just SAN. *Alot more
    > actually.
    >
    > But in any case, if you want a career in storage starting out on a
    > specific vendor usually means specific companies. *For instance,
    > company A is looking for an HDS admin while company B is looking for
    > an EMC admin. *If you've chosen the EMC education (presumably you've
    > no experience) then you can really only apply to company B.
    > But if you've educated yourself on concepts of FC, drive mechanics,
    > raid levels, etc. then you could apply to either.
    >
    > Teaching someone how to use a few software windows is easy, finding
    > someone who understands storage and it's underlying mechanics is not.
    >
    > ~F

    Hi faeander,

    Can i Start with SNIA foundation level to gain a good knowledge about
    the basics of FC, drive mechanics,etc..?

    regards
    Deepaksam

  6. Re: certification for SAN - Tell me which is good

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 22:43:26 -0700 (PDT), deepaksamraj
    wrote:

    >On Sep 29, 7:13*am, Faeandar wrote:
    >> On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 06:20:50 -0700 (PDT), deepaksamraj
    >>

    >> wrote:
    >> >Hi all,

    >> >I need a help.

    >> >Tell me which certification will be the best.

    >> >I have already completed STF [storage technology foundations] from EMC
    >> >and planning for a career in SAN.

    >> >I am confused in deciding the best vendor for SAN.

    >> >Kindly help me out..

    >> >Thanks in advance,
    >> >Deepaksamraj D

    >> I'm not sure I've ever heard of someone making a "career in SAN" since
    >> it's simply a technology. *You might want a career in storage but that
    >> means you'll need more under your belt than just SAN. *Alot more
    >> actually.
    >>
    >> But in any case, if you want a career in storage starting out on a
    >> specific vendor usually means specific companies. *For instance,
    >> company A is looking for an HDS admin while company B is looking for
    >> an EMC admin. *If you've chosen the EMC education (presumably you've
    >> no experience) then you can really only apply to company B.
    >> But if you've educated yourself on concepts of FC, drive mechanics,
    >> raid levels, etc. then you could apply to either.
    >>
    >> Teaching someone how to use a few software windows is easy, finding
    >> someone who understands storage and it's underlying mechanics is not.
    >>
    >> ~F

    >Hi faeander,
    >
    >Can i Start with SNIA foundation level to gain a good knowledge about
    >the basics of FC, drive mechanics,etc..?
    >

    >regards
    >Deepaksam

    snia.org is a good place to begin.
    http://www.snia.org/education/tutorials

    If you get through, and understand, half of what is on this page
    you're on the right path.
    For SAN specific information pay special attention to:
    networking
    storage
    storage management
    virtualization

    These will give you a good overall understanding of storage; you can
    get into specific vendors much more easily from here.

    ~F

+ Reply to Thread