copying files off of SATA Laptop Drive - Storage

This is a discussion on copying files off of SATA Laptop Drive - Storage ; My son's Dell Studio 17 won't boot after a recent vista upgrade. the suggestion is to use the recovery dvd, which will wipe out his data files (no, he did not back them up..different topic). It appears to be a ...

  1. copying files off of SATA Laptop Drive

    My son's Dell Studio 17 won't boot after a recent vista upgrade. the
    suggestion is to use the recovery dvd, which will wipe out his data
    files (no, he did not back them up..different topic). It appears to
    be a s/w issue not a hardware defect issue.

    I see from Dells' website that the studios use SATA drives. So my plan
    was to
    1. remove the laptop hard drive
    2. plug drive into a hdd enclosure, or a usb to SATA converter
    3. connect the drive and adaptor to a 2nd computer
    4. browse the laptop drive and pull of the files that he wants.
    5. reinstall the drive into the laptop and do the recovery

    Anyone see any problems with this?

    Thanks!!!

  2. Re: copying files off of SATA Laptop Drive

    Previously zigipha@hotmail.com wrote:
    > My son's Dell Studio 17 won't boot after a recent vista upgrade. the
    > suggestion is to use the recovery dvd, which will wipe out his data
    > files (no, he did not back them up..different topic). It appears to
    > be a s/w issue not a hardware defect issue.

    > I see from Dells' website that the studios use SATA drives. So my plan
    > was to
    > 1. remove the laptop hard drive
    > 2. plug drive into a hdd enclosure, or a usb to SATA converter
    > 3. connect the drive and adaptor to a 2nd computer
    > 4. browse the laptop drive and pull of the files that he wants.
    > 5. reinstall the drive into the laptop and do the recovery

    > Anyone see any problems with this?

    Looks fine to me. This is what I would do also.

    Arno

  3. Re: copying files off of SATA Laptop Drive

    zigipha@hotmail.com wrote:

    > My son's Dell Studio 17 won't boot after a recent vista upgrade.
    > the suggestion is to use the recovery dvd, which will wipe out
    > his data files (no, he did not back them up..different topic).
    > It appears to be a s/w issue not a hardware defect issue.

    > I see from Dells' website that the studios use SATA drives. So my plan was to
    > 1. remove the laptop hard drive
    > 2. plug drive into a hdd enclosure, or a usb to SATA converter
    > 3. connect the drive and adaptor to a 2nd computer
    > 4. browse the laptop drive and pull of the files that he wants.
    > 5. reinstall the drive into the laptop and do the recovery

    > Anyone see any problems with this?

    Nope, it should work fine. You can have a problem if he chose to encrypt any of the data when it was on the laptop tho.

  4. Re: copying files off of SATA Laptop Drive

    On Sep 22, 3:37*pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
    > zigi...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > > My son's Dell Studio 17 won't boot after a recent vista upgrade.
    > > the suggestion is to use the recovery dvd, which will wipe out
    > > his data files (no, he did *not back them up..different topic).
    > > It appears to be a s/w issue not a hardware defect issue.
    > > I see from Dells' website that the studios use SATA drives. So my plan was to
    > > 1. remove the laptop hard drive
    > > 2. plug drive into a hdd enclosure, or a usb to SATA converter
    > > 3. connect the drive and adaptor to a 2nd computer
    > > 4. browse the laptop drive and pull of the files that he wants.
    > > 5. reinstall the drive into the laptop and do the recovery
    > > Anyone see any problems with this?

    > Nope, it should work fine. You can have a problem if he chose to encrypt any of the data when it was on the laptop tho.

    So i bought a usb to sata/ide adaptor and tried a test sata drive that
    i had plugged into a system here at home to see if this adaptor works
    (son is at college a few hours away). 3 computers had the same
    response.
    1. i plug the usb cable in
    2. each one recognizes that a usb to ide bridge was inserted
    3. each one says mass storage device detected.
    4. each one lists the drive under "safely remove hardware"
    5. none of them brings up new letter for the drive
    6. I dug a bit more deeply into one of the systems. the drive is
    listed under device manager/diskdrives as a usb device. right click
    properties/volumes its has disk 6, type =dynamic; status foreign,
    partition style = master boot record; capacity 0, unallocated space 0,
    reseved space 0, and in the volumes table, nothing is lsted
    7. everything else under usb device properties looks normal/status ok

    under computer management, the disk was listed as foreign with a
    yellow triangle

    i googled "foreign" disk and read about how a dynamic disk is tied to
    a system that it was formatted on, and that i had to import the
    foreigh disk under "Computer management". I did that and now i have a
    letter drive for the test disk.

    So not quite as simple as i wrote down....the disk i am going to try
    to do this on is a vista boot disk..any other pitfalls i may run into?

    But i read with concern that if my new host is windows XP home, then i
    can't import the foreign disk but have to convert the dynamic disk to
    a basic disk which will destroy the data on the dynamic disk.

    to see if this thing works (son is at aand plugged the drive into
    several computers and got

  5. Re: copying files off of SATA Laptop Drive

    zigipha@hotmail.com wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> zigi...@hotmail.com wrote

    >>> My son's Dell Studio 17 won't boot after a recent vista upgrade.
    >>> the suggestion is to use the recovery dvd, which will wipe out
    >>> his data files (no, he did not back them up..different topic).
    >>> It appears to be a s/w issue not a hardware defect issue.
    >>> I see from Dells' website that the studios use SATA drives. So my
    >>> plan was to
    >>> 1. remove the laptop hard drive
    >>> 2. plug drive into a hdd enclosure, or a usb to SATA converter
    >>> 3. connect the drive and adaptor to a 2nd computer
    >>> 4. browse the laptop drive and pull of the files that he wants.
    >>> 5. reinstall the drive into the laptop and do the recovery
    >>> Anyone see any problems with this?

    >> Nope, it should work fine. You can have a problem if he chose
    >> to encrypt any of the data when it was on the laptop tho.

    > So i bought a usb to sata/ide adaptor and tried a test sata drive that
    > i had plugged into a system here at home to see if this adaptor works
    > (son is at college a few hours away). 3 computers had the same response.
    > 1. i plug the usb cable in
    > 2. each one recognizes that a usb to ide bridge was inserted
    > 3. each one says mass storage device detected.
    > 4. each one lists the drive under "safely remove hardware"
    > 5. none of them brings up new letter for the drive

    Because that particular drive was dynamic.

    > 6. I dug a bit more deeply into one of the systems. the drive is
    > listed under device manager/diskdrives as a usb device. right click
    > properties/volumes its has disk 6, type =dynamic; status foreign,
    > partition style = master boot record; capacity 0, unallocated space 0,
    > reseved space 0, and in the volumes table, nothing is lsted

    The drive was dynamic. The one you want to recover should not be.

    > 7. everything else under usb device properties looks normal/status ok under
    > computer management, the disk was listed as foreign with a yellow triangle

    > i googled "foreign" disk and read about how a dynamic disk
    > is tied to a system that it was formatted on, and that i had
    > to import the foreigh disk under "Computer management".
    > I did that and now i have a letter drive for the test disk.

    > So not quite as simple as i wrote down....

    Yes, but that problem shouldnt happen with the Dell drive.

    > the disk i am going to try to do this on is a vista boot disk..
    > any other pitfalls i may run into?

    Just the one I already mentioned, that if the drive has Vista encrypted data on it, that can cause problems.

    You can have an even bigger problem if he has chosen to use the ATA encryption too.

    > But i read with concern that if my new host is windows XP home,
    > then i can't import the foreign disk but have to convert the dynamic
    > disk to a basic disk which will destroy the data on the dynamic disk.

    The Dell drive shouldnt be dynamic.

    > to see if this thing works (son is at aand plugged the drive into several computers and got

    Whoops, a premature ejaculation. You can get medication for that apparently.

  6. Re: copying files off of SATA Laptop Drive

    zigipha@hotmail.com wrote...

    >My son's Dell Studio 17 won't boot after a recent vista upgrade. the
    >suggestion is to use the recovery dvd, which will wipe out his data
    >files (no, he did not back them up..different topic). It appears to
    >be a s/w issue not a hardware defect issue.
    >
    >I see from Dells' website that the studios use SATA drives. So my plan
    >was to
    >1. remove the laptop hard drive
    >2. plug drive into a hdd enclosure, or a usb to SATA converter
    >3. connect the drive and adaptor to a 2nd computer
    >4. browse the laptop drive and pull of the files that he wants.
    >5. reinstall the drive into the laptop and do the recovery

    There is a UBCD4Win (google it) which has drivers for SATA drives.
    You need some effort to build a UBCD4Win bootable rescue CD yourself.
    With your SATA drive in your laptop, boot the later up with the
    UBCD4Win rescue CD. Hopefully you could access the files on your
    SATA drive.

  7. Re: copying files off of SATA Laptop Drive

    Previously zigipha@hotmail.com wrote:
    > On Sep 22, 3:37*pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
    >> zigi...@hotmail.com wrote:
    >> > My son's Dell Studio 17 won't boot after a recent vista upgrade.
    >> > the suggestion is to use the recovery dvd, which will wipe out
    >> > his data files (no, he did *not back them up..different topic).
    >> > It appears to be a s/w issue not a hardware defect issue.
    >> > I see from Dells' website that the studios use SATA drives. So my plan was to
    >> > 1. remove the laptop hard drive
    >> > 2. plug drive into a hdd enclosure, or a usb to SATA converter
    >> > 3. connect the drive and adaptor to a 2nd computer
    >> > 4. browse the laptop drive and pull of the files that he wants.
    >> > 5. reinstall the drive into the laptop and do the recovery
    >> > Anyone see any problems with this?

    >> Nope, it should work fine. You can have a problem if he chose to encrypt any of the data when it was on the laptop tho.

    > So i bought a usb to sata/ide adaptor and tried a test sata drive that
    > i had plugged into a system here at home to see if this adaptor works
    > (son is at college a few hours away). 3 computers had the same
    > response.
    > 1. i plug the usb cable in
    > 2. each one recognizes that a usb to ide bridge was inserted
    > 3. each one says mass storage device detected.
    > 4. each one lists the drive under "safely remove hardware"
    > 5. none of them brings up new letter for the drive
    > 6. I dug a bit more deeply into one of the systems. the drive is
    > listed under device manager/diskdrives as a usb device. right click
    > properties/volumes its has disk 6, type =dynamic; status foreign,
    > partition style = master boot record; capacity 0, unallocated space 0,
    > reseved space 0, and in the volumes table, nothing is lsted
    > 7. everything else under usb device properties looks normal/status ok

    > under computer management, the disk was listed as foreign with a
    > yellow triangle

    > i googled "foreign" disk and read about how a dynamic disk is tied to
    > a system that it was formatted on, and that i had to import the
    > foreigh disk under "Computer management". I did that and now i have a
    > letter drive for the test disk.

    > So not quite as simple as i wrote down....the disk i am going to try
    > to do this on is a vista boot disk..any other pitfalls i may run into?

    > But i read with concern that if my new host is windows XP home, then i
    > can't import the foreign disk but have to convert the dynamic disk to
    > a basic disk which will destroy the data on the dynamic disk.

    Ah, the joy of comerceware. Before you do that, you should make a backup
    copy with a sector-imager.

    Arno

+ Reply to Thread