RAID data problem....Don't even know where to begin - Storage

This is a discussion on RAID data problem....Don't even know where to begin - Storage ; Hi Guys - Pretty glad I found this group because reading the posts it seems that there are many tech-savvy people hanging around in here. I would first like to thank anyone who responds and helps me with my problem. ...

  1. RAID data problem....Don't even know where to begin

    Hi Guys -

    Pretty glad I found this group because reading the posts it seems that
    there are many tech-savvy people hanging around in here. I would first
    like to thank anyone who responds and helps me with my problem. It is
    greatly appreciated! This is gonna be long-winded and I apologise.
    Anyway...

    Got my pc a few years ago from a friend who knows alot more about this
    stuff than me. He didnt have any documentation for me on the RAID
    stuff and I never learned how to use it. Had a HD crash a month ago.
    Busted HD was SATA on a RAID 1 with a scuzzy drive. There was also
    another scuzzy attached to the array cable but it was used strictly
    for other data. I installed a new HD and OS - XP home, so obviously I
    didnt have drivers for my RAID card which is an Adaptec 2120s. I
    fooled with the busted HD for awhile trying to retrieve the data off
    it but its belly up. So I figured I would pull out the RAIDed drives,
    throw them in an external case, and that would be that. Pulled the
    drives, pulled the card because i was planning on using externals for
    backup now because it seemed so much easier than this RAID stuff.
    Thats when I learned they were scsi drives and that I can't get a scsi
    external enclosure near where i live... So I just spent the last day
    downloading all the docs for the card and its just too beyond my skill
    set. I am wondering what kind of damage I will do to the drives if I
    put them and the card back in behind the new HD and OS and download
    the drivers. Will they be erased? They were still in there when I
    swapped out the new HD but they werent seen I guess because I didnt
    have the drivers. All I want is the data from the 2 drives and then
    turn my back on RAID, but I am stuck on how to proceed. I havent
    reinstalled the card or any drivers yet because there are like 4 or 5
    drivers and I am unsure on which one/s I need. Don't even know if it
    matters what order to put the drives on the cable. i did figure out
    that one is set to ID2 and the other to ID4 by looking at the jumpers.
    Any ideas on how to get the data from these 2 drives? I'm getting
    ready to start looking around my house for a rafter that will hold my
    weight....Huge thanks to anyone who can help out! - Mochs

  2. Re: RAID data problem....Don't even know where to begin

    Previously moch68 wrote:
    > Hi Guys -

    > Pretty glad I found this group because reading the posts it seems that
    > there are many tech-savvy people hanging around in here. I would first
    > like to thank anyone who responds and helps me with my problem. It is
    > greatly appreciated! This is gonna be long-winded and I apologise.
    > Anyway...

    > Got my pc a few years ago from a friend who knows alot more about this
    > stuff than me. He didnt have any documentation for me on the RAID
    > stuff and I never learned how to use it. Had a HD crash a month ago.
    > Busted HD was SATA on a RAID 1 with a scuzzy drive. There was also
    > another scuzzy attached to the array cable but it was used strictly
    > for other data. I installed a new HD and OS - XP home, so obviously I
    > didnt have drivers for my RAID card which is an Adaptec 2120s. I
    > fooled with the busted HD for awhile trying to retrieve the data off
    > it but its belly up. So I figured I would pull out the RAIDed drives,
    > throw them in an external case, and that would be that. Pulled the
    > drives, pulled the card because i was planning on using externals for
    > backup now because it seemed so much easier than this RAID stuff.
    > Thats when I learned they were scsi drives and that I can't get a scsi
    > external enclosure near where i live... So I just spent the last day
    > downloading all the docs for the card and its just too beyond my skill
    > set. I am wondering what kind of damage I will do to the drives if I
    > put them and the card back in behind the new HD and OS and download
    > the drivers. Will they be erased? They were still in there when I
    > swapped out the new HD but they werent seen I guess because I didnt
    > have the drivers. All I want is the data from the 2 drives and then
    > turn my back on RAID, but I am stuck on how to proceed. I havent
    > reinstalled the card or any drivers yet because there are like 4 or 5
    > drivers and I am unsure on which one/s I need. Don't even know if it
    > matters what order to put the drives on the cable. i did figure out
    > that one is set to ID2 and the other to ID4 by looking at the jumpers.
    > Any ideas on how to get the data from these 2 drives? I'm getting
    > ready to start looking around my house for a rafter that will hold my
    > weight....Huge thanks to anyone who can help out! - Mochs

    Id your RAID1 llost one disk, the data on the array should still
    be visible. If it is not, then you have some additional problem.
    Best get somebody with more knowledge to look at it.

    Arno

  3. Re: RAID data problem....Don't even know where to begin

    Thanks for the reply Arno...

    What is "llost one disk"? I hope that was a typo because if not I am
    more of an idiot than I already think I am.

    Thanks again man!

  4. Re: RAID data problem....Don't even know where to begin

    moch68 wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply Arno...
    >
    > What is "llost one disk"? I hope that was a typo because if not I am
    > more of an idiot than I already think I am.
    >
    > Thanks again man!

    RAID1 has a copy on another drive. So losing one copy should not be a problem.

  5. Re: RAID data problem....Don't even know where to begin

    Previously moch68 wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply Arno...

    > What is "llost one disk"? I hope that was a typo because if not I am
    > more of an idiot than I already think I am.

    "lost" ;-)

    Means your RAID1 (which can tolerate 1/2 disks failing)
    is down one disk. It should still work! If not, then you have
    a different or additional problem.

    Arno

+ Reply to Thread