Would upgrade from MB SATA to 3ware RAID card be of benefit? - Storage

This is a discussion on Would upgrade from MB SATA to 3ware RAID card be of benefit? - Storage ; I built a nice, fast system for myself recently, and have been using the onboard SATA II controller for the 2 hard drives (1 velociraptor, 1 Hitachi 7k1000) and 1 optical drive (Blu-Ray burner) I'm using. I may install more ...

  1. Would upgrade from MB SATA to 3ware RAID card be of benefit?

    I built a nice, fast system for myself recently, and have been using the
    onboard SATA II controller for the 2 hard drives (1 velociraptor, 1 Hitachi 7k1000)
    and 1 optical drive (Blu-Ray burner) I'm using. I may install more drives in
    the future, but probably not.

    In any case, I'm wondering if throughput and dependability could be improved
    if, instead of using the cheap Marvell SATA chipset on the motherboard, I
    installed a lower-end-but-still-good 3ware RAID card, but only used it's
    regular SATA abilities, no RAID.

    This is the one I'm thinking of:

    Would a high-quality card like that make any difference, if I'm not using
    all 4 channels and not using it for a RAID?

    - Tim

    --

  2. Re: Would upgrade from MB SATA to 3ware RAID card be of benefit?

    Previously Spammay Blockay wrote:
    > I built a nice, fast system for myself recently, and have been using the
    > onboard SATA II controller for the 2 hard drives (1 velociraptor, 1 Hitachi 7k1000)
    > and 1 optical drive (Blu-Ray burner) I'm using. I may install more drives in
    > the future, but probably not.

    > In any case, I'm wondering if throughput and dependability could be improved
    > if, instead of using the cheap Marvell SATA chipset on the motherboard, I
    > installed a lower-end-but-still-good 3ware RAID card, but only used it's
    > regular SATA abilities, no RAID.

    Very unlikely. Very likely the disks are already the bottleneck.

    Arno

  3. Re: Would upgrade from MB SATA to 3ware RAID card be of benefit?

    Spammay Blockay wrote in news:48d2ce36$0$33547$742ec2ed@news.sonic.net
    > I built a nice, fast system for myself recently, and have been using the
    > onboard SATA II controller for the 2 hard drives (1 velociraptor, 1 Hitachi 7k1000)
    > and 1 optical drive (Blu-Ray burner) I'm using. I may install more drives in
    > the future, but probably not.
    >
    > In any case, I'm wondering if throughput and dependability could be improved
    > if, instead of using the cheap Marvell SATA chipset on the motherboard, I
    > installed a lower-end-but-still-good 3ware RAID card, but only used it's
    > regular SATA abilities, no RAID.
    >
    > This is the one I'm thinking of:

    Uhuh. And what chipset is that card using?
    Oh look, it's a "cheap Marvell" chipset.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowIm...116-042-05.jpg

    And it only costs $329.99 more.

    > Would a high-quality card like that make any difference, if I'm not using
    > all 4 channels and not using it for a RAID?
    >
    > - Tim

  4. Re: Would upgrade from MB SATA to 3ware RAID card be of benefit?

    In article <6jg5srF3328hU2@mid.individual.net>,
    Arno Wagner wrote:
    >Previously Spammay Blockay wrote:
    >> I built a nice, fast system for myself recently, and have been using the
    >> onboard SATA II controller for the 2 hard drives (1 velociraptor, 1 Hitachi 7k1000)
    >> and 1 optical drive (Blu-Ray burner) I'm using. I may install more drives in
    >> the future, but probably not.

    >> In any case, I'm wondering if throughput and dependability could be improved
    >> if, instead of using the cheap Marvell SATA chipset on the motherboard, I
    >> installed a lower-end-but-still-good 3ware RAID card, but only used it's
    >> regular SATA abilities, no RAID.

    >Very unlikely. Very likely the disks are already the bottleneck.

    That's what I was thinking; I just wondered if the cheaper motherboard
    SATA chipsets might possibly impose their own bottlenecks in the forms
    of wait states or other things beyond my ken that could slow down
    performance, which might be avoided on better designed cards.

    - Tim

    --

  5. Re: Would upgrade from MB SATA to 3ware RAID card be of benefit?

    Previously Spammay Blockay wrote:
    > In article <6jg5srF3328hU2@mid.individual.net>,
    > Arno Wagner wrote:
    >>Previously Spammay Blockay wrote:
    >>> I built a nice, fast system for myself recently, and have been using the
    >>> onboard SATA II controller for the 2 hard drives (1 velociraptor, 1 Hitachi 7k1000)
    >>> and 1 optical drive (Blu-Ray burner) I'm using. I may install more drives in
    >>> the future, but probably not.

    >>> In any case, I'm wondering if throughput and dependability could be improved
    >>> if, instead of using the cheap Marvell SATA chipset on the motherboard, I
    >>> installed a lower-end-but-still-good 3ware RAID card, but only used it's
    >>> regular SATA abilities, no RAID.

    >>Very unlikely. Very likely the disks are already the bottleneck.

    > That's what I was thinking; I just wondered if the cheaper motherboard
    > SATA chipsets might possibly impose their own bottlenecks in the forms
    > of wait states or other things beyond my ken that could slow down
    > performance, which might be avoided on better designed cards.

    The suspicion is justified historically, but at the moment SATA
    and PCI-E are relatively new and have significant reserves.

    Arno

  6. Re: Would upgrade from MB SATA to 3ware RAID card be of benefit?

    In article <48d2f45c$1$22232$8f2e0ebb@news.shared-secrets.com>,
    Squeeze wrote:

    >Spammay Blockay wrote in news:48d2ce36$0$33547$742ec2ed@news.sonic.net

    [ Snippage ]

    >> This is the one I'm thinking of:

    >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816116042

    >Uhuh. And what chipset is that card using?
    >Oh look, it's a "cheap Marvell" chipset.
    >http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowIm...116-042-05.jpg

    Oh, is THAT what that big "M" stands for? :-)

    I didn't recognize the logo - but I kept reading tons of people's
    complaints about Marvell chipsets, so I associated the name with
    "not particularly good".

    Examining the photos for the top-end SATA RAID cards for 3ware and HighPoint, I
    see they all are using Marvell controllers as well.

    >And it only costs $329.99 more.

    Soch a deal.

    So, do you happen to know if Marvell actually makes great chipsets, as well as
    some so-so ones, and the reputation I'd heard of came only from lower-end
    ones used on motherboards?

    That is... what controller chipsets do you know of that are considered some of
    the very best, if such a thing exists?

    After a bit of research, it appears that Intel's own controllers seem to get
    good reviews.

    Google is my friend, but perhaps someone here has some suggestions?

    - Tim

    --

  7. Re: Would upgrade from MB SATA to 3ware RAID card be of benefit?

    Spammay Blockay wrote in news:48d30013$0$33593$742ec2ed@news.sonic.net
    > In article 48d2f45c$1$22232$8f2e0ebb@news.shared-secrets.com, Squeeze wrote:
    > > Spammay Blockay wrote in news:48d2ce36$0$33547$742ec2ed@news.sonic.net

    > [ Snippage ]
    >
    > > > This is the one I'm thinking of:

    > > > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816116042

    > > Uhuh. And what chipset is that card using?
    > > Oh look, it's a "cheap Marvell" chipset.
    > > http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowIm...116-042-05.jpg

    > Oh, is THAT what that big "M" stands for? :-)
    >
    > I didn't recognize the logo - but I kept reading tons of people's
    > complaints about Marvell chipsets, so I associated the name with
    > "not particularly good".
    >
    > Examining the photos for the top-end SATA RAID cards for 3ware and HighPoint,
    > I see they all are using Marvell controllers as well.

    Well, as for 3ware, that was not my impression.
    But then all the photos they provide themselves either have 3ware stamped on the
    SATA chips or they were blanked. I take it the blanked ones are the Marvell ones.

    http://www.3ware.com/reference/photogallery.asp#9650SE

    > > And it only costs $329.99 more.

    > Soch a deal.

    > So, do you happen to know if Marvell actually makes great chipsets, as well as
    > some so-so ones, and the reputation I'd heard of came only from lower-end
    > ones used on motherboards?

    I have no idea.
    Marvell themselves are not telling unless you first start a business relation with them.
    http://www.marvell.com/products/storage/sata/index.jsp
    Btw, not all Marvell chips are controllers, there's convertors too.

    > That is... what controller chipsets do you know of that are considered some of
    > the very best, if such a thing exists?

    Unless there's something wrong with a chipset they should all be the same.
    Doesn't necessarily mean all drivers are the same (performance wise) too.

    > After a bit of research, it appears that Intel's own controllers seem to get
    > good reviews.

    > Google is my friend, but perhaps someone here has some suggestions?

    Watch babblebot 'advise' Areca which he spells 'Arcea'.

    > - Tim

  8. Re: Would upgrade from MB SATA to 3ware RAID card be of benefit?

    In article <48d36afc$0$22207$8f2e0ebb@news.shared-secrets.com>,
    Squeeze wrote:
    >Spammay Blockay wrote in news:48d30013$0$33593$742ec2ed@news.sonic.net

    >> Examining the photos for the top-end SATA RAID cards for 3ware and HighPoint,
    >> I see they all are using Marvell controllers as well.

    >Well, as for 3ware, that was not my impression.
    >But then all the photos they provide themselves either have 3ware stamped on the
    >SATA chips or they were blanked. I take it the blanked ones are the Marvell ones.
    >
    >http://www.3ware.com/reference/photogallery.asp#9650SE

    Huh - I wonder why they'd do that.

    >> So, do you happen to know if Marvell actually makes great chipsets, as well as
    >> some so-so ones, and the reputation I'd heard of came only from lower-end
    >> ones used on motherboards?

    >I have no idea.
    >Marvell themselves are not telling unless you first start a business relation with them.
    >http://www.marvell.com/products/storage/sata/index.jsp
    >Btw, not all Marvell chips are controllers, there's convertors too.

    Yeah, I don't know all the parts that go into creating a controller board, nor
    other things that Marvell makes. I'm coming at this from the "programmer who
    builds his own computers sometimes" angle, so there are gaps in my knowledge.

    >> After a bit of research, it appears that Intel's own controllers seem to get
    >> good reviews.

    >> Google is my friend, but perhaps someone here has some suggestions?

    >Watch babblebot 'advise' Areca which he spells 'Arcea'.

    Thanks for the pointers!

    - Tim