File system on the HD of a DVD recorder - Storage

This is a discussion on File system on the HD of a DVD recorder - Storage ; Hi group, I know this is not a bina fide ibm.pc question, but where else to ask? I have this Sony DVD Recorder, RDR-HX710 with a built in hard drive, WD 160 GB. Late one night my fingers where faster ...

  1. File system on the HD of a DVD recorder

    Hi group,

    I know this is not a bina fide ibm.pc question, but where else to ask?

    I have this Sony DVD Recorder, RDR-HX710 with a built in hard drive,
    WD 160 GB. Late one night my fingers where faster than my brain and
    rather than reformatting a RW DVD I reformatted the HD, and lost all
    the cool stuff I had recorded.

    I searched for some unformat command but it had none. So I took out
    the HD and plugged it in to an external USB-connected box.

    Windows Diskmanager sees the drive but reports it all as
    "non-allocated" space.

    Do you have any idea what kind of file system such a drive may have,
    and if there is any tool I could use to unformat the thing?

    Lars
    Stockholm

  2. Re: File system on the HD of a DVD recorder

    Lars wrote:

    > Hi group,

    Lo groupy.

    > I know this is not a bina fide ibm.pc question, but where else to ask?

    > I have this Sony DVD Recorder, RDR-HX710 with a built in hard drive,
    > WD 160 GB. Late one night my fingers where faster than my brain and
    > rather than reformatting a RW DVD I reformatted the HD, and lost all
    > the cool stuff I had recorded.

    A Jap would at least have the decency to disembowel itself.

    > I searched for some unformat command but it had none. So I took
    > out the HD and plugged it in to an external USB-connected box.

    > Windows Diskmanager sees the drive but reports it all as "non-allocated" space.

    > Do you have any idea what kind of file system such a drive may have,

    See what a Ubuntu Live CD makes of it.

    > and if there is any tool I could use to unformat the thing?

    Depends on what format it is.

  3. Re: File system on the HD of a DVD recorder

    It might be FAT32 or UDF 2.x. Get dskprobe or another disk editor.
    Compare a FAT boot sector with the first 64 sectors of the DVR disk.

    "Lars" wrote in message news:v4h5d41jvulomkcrdt0in6e6b2c8kvp1fg@4ax.com...

    > I have this Sony DVD Recorder, RDR-HX710 with a built in hard drive,
    > WD 160 GB. Late one night my fingers where faster than my brain and
    > rather than reformatting a RW DVD I reformatted the HD, and lost all
    > the cool stuff I had recorded.
    >
    > I searched for some unformat command but it had none. So I took out
    > the HD and plugged it in to an external USB-connected box.
    >
    > Windows Diskmanager sees the drive but reports it all as
    > "non-allocated" space.
    >
    > Do you have any idea what kind of file system such a drive may have,
    > and if there is any tool I could use to unformat the thing?

  4. Re: File system on the HD of a DVD recorder

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 23:33:08 +0200, Lars put finger to
    keyboard and composed:

    >Hi group,
    >
    >I know this is not a bina fide ibm.pc question, but where else to ask?
    >
    >I have this Sony DVD Recorder, RDR-HX710 with a built in hard drive,
    >WD 160 GB. Late one night my fingers where faster than my brain and
    >rather than reformatting a RW DVD I reformatted the HD, and lost all
    >the cool stuff I had recorded.
    >
    >I searched for some unformat command but it had none. So I took out
    >the HD and plugged it in to an external USB-connected box.
    >
    >Windows Diskmanager sees the drive but reports it all as
    >"non-allocated" space.
    >
    >Do you have any idea what kind of file system such a drive may have,
    >and if there is any tool I could use to unformat the thing?
    >
    >Lars
    >Stockholm

    I don't know about your Sony DVDR, but this one has a Cirrus Logic
    chipset:

    http://jeroent.com/salora/?cat=4
    http://jeroent.com/salora/?cat=6

    The file system is proprietary. I suspect yours is, too.

    In the CL case, the file system begins at the topmost LBA and grows
    backwards to LBA 0.

    - Franc Zabkar

  5. Re: File system on the HD of a DVD recorder

    Previously, on Usenet "Rod Speed" wrote:

    >> I have this Sony DVD Recorder, RDR-HX710 with a built in hard drive,
    >> WD 160 GB. Late one night my fingers where faster than my brain and
    >> rather than reformatting a RW DVD I reformatted the HD, and lost all
    >> the cool stuff I had recorded.

    >> Windows Diskmanager sees the drive but reports it all as "non-allocated" space.

    >> Do you have any idea what kind of file system such a drive may have,

    >See what a Ubuntu Live CD makes of it.

    At long last I have had time to dig into this thing again. I used a
    Knoppix Live CD but that did not get me any further. It said something
    similar to what Windows disk manager says, non allocated.

    Here is a screen dump from PowerQuests partition Table Editor;
    http://web.telia.com/~u84408784/Avis...onTable_WD.png

    It says Type is A3, does that tell you anything?

    Here is a digital photo of the contents of sector 1
    http://web.telia.com/~u84408784/Avis/Sector_1.png

    I have not seen Svend around here in a while. This might be something
    for him ...

    Lars
    Stockholm

  6. Re: File system on the HD of a DVD recorder

    On Oct 5, 9:42*pm, Lars wrote:
    > Previously, on Usenet "Rod Speed" wrote:
    >
    > >> I have this Sony DVD Recorder, RDR-HX710 with a built in hard drive,
    > >> WD 160 GB. Late one night my fingers where faster than my brain and
    > >> rather than reformatting a RW DVD I reformatted the HD, and lost all
    > >> the cool stuff I had recorded.

    > >> Windows Diskmanager sees the drive but reports it all as "non-allocated" space.

    > >> Do you have any idea what kind of file system such a drive may have,

    > >See what a Ubuntu Live CD makes of it.

    > At long last I have had time to dig into this thing again. I used a
    > Knoppix Live CD but that did not get me any further. It said something
    > similar to what Windows disk manager says, non allocated.
    >
    > Here is a screen dump from PowerQuests partition Table Editor;http://web.telia.com/~u84408784/Avis...onTable_WD.png
    >
    > It says Type is A3, does that tell you anything?
    >
    > Here is a digital photo of the contents of sector 1http://web.telia.com/~u84408784/Avis/Sector_1.png
    >
    > I have not seen Svend around here in a while. This might be something
    > for him ...
    >
    > Lars
    > Stockholm

    It does not look like a standard type of boot sector.

    Your photo says sector 1 and sector 2, it is sector 0 you actually
    want, or am misreading the picture.

    PCs typically have the partition table starting at 0x1be on sector 0

    Michael
    www.cnwrecovery.com

  7. Re: File system on the HD of a DVD recorder

    On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 22:42:50 +0200, Lars put finger to
    keyboard and composed:

    >Previously, on Usenet "Rod Speed" wrote:
    >
    >>> I have this Sony DVD Recorder, RDR-HX710 with a built in hard drive,
    >>> WD 160 GB. Late one night my fingers where faster than my brain and
    >>> rather than reformatting a RW DVD I reformatted the HD, and lost all
    >>> the cool stuff I had recorded.

    >>> Windows Diskmanager sees the drive but reports it all as "non-allocated" space.

    >>> Do you have any idea what kind of file system such a drive may have,

    >>See what a Ubuntu Live CD makes of it.

    >At long last I have had time to dig into this thing again. I used a
    >Knoppix Live CD but that did not get me any further. It said something
    >similar to what Windows disk manager says, non allocated.
    >
    >Here is a screen dump from PowerQuests partition Table Editor;
    >http://web.telia.com/~u84408784/Avis...onTable_WD.png
    >
    >It says Type is A3, does that tell you anything?

    That is not a partition table. For one thing, the starting and ending
    sectors of partition 2 are located completely within partition 1, and
    the ending sector for partition 3 is less than its starting sector.

    >Here is a digital photo of the contents of sector 1
    >http://web.telia.com/~u84408784/Avis/Sector_1.png
    >
    >I have not seen Svend around here in a while. This might be something
    >for him ...
    >

    >Lars
    >Stockholm

    I'm not a programmer, but the code that begins "EC 9F CA ..." doesn't
    look to me like boot code. But then a DVDR doesn't boot from the hard
    drive, and it probably doesn't make any sense to partition it.

    - Franc Zabkar

  8. Re: File system on the HD of a DVD recorder

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 07:50:09 +1000, Franc Zabkar
    put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >>Here is a digital photo of the contents of sector 1
    >>http://web.telia.com/~u84408784/Avis/Sector_1.png
    >>
    >>I have not seen Svend around here in a while. This might be something
    >>for him ...
    >>

    >>Lars
    >>Stockholm

    >I'm not a programmer, but the code that begins "EC 9F CA ..." doesn't
    >look to me like boot code. But then a DVDR doesn't boot from the hard
    >drive, and it probably doesn't make any sense to partition it.

    Hmm, I forgot that the DVDR uP is not an x86 type.

    - Franc Zabkar