Total format - Storage

This is a discussion on Total format - Storage ; What's the way to format/erase deeply a hard disk? I need to use it for backup and I want to delete it better I can. There are some damaged sectors, during format they are isolated so there won't be any ...

  1. Total format

    What's the way to format/erase deeply a hard disk?

    I need to use it for backup and I want to delete it better I can.

    There are some damaged sectors, during format they are isolated so
    there won't be any risk to store data on them, right?

    Thanks in advance for any advice,

    Mhaxx

  2. Re: Total format

    > What's the way to format/erase deeply a hard disk?

    Usually this can be done by the disk-bios using the disk manufacturers disk
    utilities

    > I need to use it for backup and I want to delete it better I can.
    >
    > There are some damaged sectors, during format they are isolated so
    > there won't be any risk to store data on them, right?

    If there are damaged sectors then I would VERY STRONGLY advice to buy a new
    disk.

    A higher level (full) format, such as NTFS filesystem, *should* remap bad
    sectors, but only *if* it detects them. You already know that you have bad
    sectors, which means to me that you need to replace that drive.

    HTH,
    Edwin.

  3. Re: Total format

    SCSI Utility for Windows www.moojit.com