Get S.M.A.R.T. information on external USB hard drive - Storage

This is a discussion on Get S.M.A.R.T. information on external USB hard drive - Storage ; Looking for a freeware utility that will give me S.M.A.R.T. information on an external USB hard drive. I did find HD Tune www.hdtune.com> but that works on internal drives only. Any help would be greatly appreciated....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

  1. Get S.M.A.R.T. information on external USB hard drive

    Looking for a freeware utility that will give me S.M.A.R.T.
    information on an external USB hard drive. I did find HD Tune www.hdtune.com> but that works on internal drives only.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. Re: Get S.M.A.R.T. information on external USB hard drive

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:6jcjs0F2lad9U1@mid.individual.net
    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage HL0105 wrote:
    > > Looking for a freeware utility that will give me S.M.A.R.T.
    > > information on an external USB hard drive. I did find HD Tune > > www.hdtune.com> but that works on internal drives only.

    > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    > This is not possible, as USB does not transfer the relevant
    > commands. The only way os to open the enclosure, remove the disk
    > and connect it directly.

    Ignore the clueless babblebot. It's on a trolling spree lately.

    > Note that some known incompetents here claim differently, but
    > have as of now failed to provide any proof.

    Like that he would know. Anyone that does is or goes in his killfile.

    > Arno

  3. Re: Get S.M.A.R.T. information on external USB hard drive

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage HL0105 wrote:
    > Looking for a freeware utility that will give me S.M.A.R.T.
    > information on an external USB hard drive. I did find HD Tune > www.hdtune.com> but that works on internal drives only.

    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    This is not possible, as USB does not transfer the relevant
    commands. The only way os to open the enclosure, remove the disk
    and connect it directly.

    Note that some known incompetents here claim differently, but
    have as of now failed to provide any proof.

    Arno

  4. Re: Get S.M.A.R.T. information on external USB hard drive

    HL0105 wrote in news:33acc230-8e7d-4fdf-a02c-88594fcd510e@a70g2000hsh.googlegroups.com
    > Looking for a freeware utility that will give me S.M.A.R.T.
    > information on an external USB hard drive. I did find HD Tune > www.hdtune.com> but that works on internal drives only.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Depends on your USB drive chipset.
    Some chipsets from Cypress and Oxford do support passing S.M.A.R.T. ,
    others do not.

  5. Re: Get S.M.A.R.T. information on external USB hard drive

    On Sep 17, 10:00*am, "Squeeze" wrote:
    > HL0105 wrote innews:33acc230-8e7d-4fdf-a02c-88594fcd510e@a70g2000hsh.googlegroups.com
    >
    > > Looking for a freeware utility that will give me S.M.A.R.T.
    > > information on an external USB hard drive. I did find HD Tune > >www.hdtune.com> but that works on internal drives only.

    > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    > Depends on your USB drive chipset.
    > Some chipsets from Cypress and Oxford do support passing S.M.A.R.T. ,
    > others do not.
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...rd+chipset&btn....

    Thanks for the replies.

    I'm buying a new Seagate FreeAgent external USB hard drive on Ebay. I
    wanted to use S.M.A.R.T. to confirm that it is in fact a new drive. If
    S.M.A.R.T. won't work on a USB drive, is there any other way I can
    confirm that the drive is new?

    Thanks.

  6. Re: Get S.M.A.R.T. information on external USB hard drive

    HL0105 wrote in

    > On Sep 17, 10:00*am, "Squeeze" wrote:
    >> HL0105 wrote
    >> innews:33acc230-8e7d-4fdf-a02c-88594fcd510e@a70g2000hsh.goog

    > legroups.com
    >>
    >> > Looking for a freeware utility that will give me S.M.A.R.T.
    >> > information on an external USB hard drive. I did find HD Tune

    >> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    >> Depends on your USB drive chipset.
    >> Some chipsets from Cypress and Oxford do support passing S.M.A.R.T. ,
    >> others do not.
    >>
    >> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...rd+chipset&btn

    > Thanks for the replies.
    >
    > I'm buying a new Seagate FreeAgent external USB hard drive on Ebay. I
    > wanted to use S.M.A.R.T. to confirm that it is in fact a new drive. If
    > S.M.A.R.T. won't work on a USB drive, is there any other way I can
    > confirm that the drive is new?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Don't buy from Ebay?

    --
    Bear Bottoms
    Freeware website: http://bearware.info

  7. Re: Get S.M.A.R.T. information on external USB hard drive

    Squeeze wrote:

    >Arno Wagner wrote:
    >>
    >> Note that some known incompetents here claim differently, but
    >> have as of now failed to provide any proof.

    >Like that he would know. Anyone that does is or goes in his killfile.

    You do have a point, there...

  8. Re: Get S.M.A.R.T. information on external USB hard drive

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage chrisv wrote:
    > Squeeze wrote:

    >>Arno Wagner wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Note that some known incompetents here claim differently, but
    >>> have as of now failed to provide any proof.

    >>Like that he would know. Anyone that does is or goes in his killfile.

    > You do have a point, there...

    I see quoted replies, just not the original nonsense. As most
    idiocities produced by said individuals do not get replies or
    only replies from the other trolls, this cust down on noise
    significantly. However on the rare occasion a troll said
    something useful, typically a non-troll responds and I see it.

    Not surprisingly, this one troll does not understand how a
    killfile works.

    Arno

  9. Re: Get S.M.A.R.T. information on external USB hard drive

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage HL0105 wrote:
    > On Sep 17, 10:00*am, "Squeeze" wrote:
    >> HL0105 wrote innews:33acc230-8e7d-4fdf-a02c-88594fcd510e@a70g2000hsh.googlegroups.com
    >>
    >> > Looking for a freeware utility that will give me S.M.A.R.T.
    >> > information on an external USB hard drive. I did find HD Tune >> >www.hdtune.com> but that works on internal drives only.

    >> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    >> Depends on your USB drive chipset.
    >> Some chipsets from Cypress and Oxford do support passing S.M.A.R.T. ,
    >> others do not.
    >>
    >> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...rd+chipset&btn...

    > Thanks for the replies.

    > I'm buying a new Seagate FreeAgent external USB hard drive on Ebay. I
    > wanted to use S.M.A.R.T. to confirm that it is in fact a new drive. If
    > S.M.A.R.T. won't work on a USB drive, is there any other way I can
    > confirm that the drive is new?

    The only way is to open it. As it is Ebay, you might not have warranty
    anyways. One it is open, connect it directly to get SMART data,
    and look on the label to see the manufacturing date and a possible
    refurbishing date.

    However I would strongly advise not to buy HDDs on Ebay.
    All it takes is one good drop to kill a drive, possibly weeks
    or months after the event.

    Arno

  10. Re: Get S.M.A.R.T. information on external USB hard drive

    HL0105 wrote:

    > Looking for a freeware utility that will give me S.M.A.R.T.
    > information on an external USB hard drive.

    S.M.A.R.T. Monitoring Tools

    --
    url=http://guysalias.fateback.com/pgpkeys.txt

  11. Re: Get S.M.A.R.T. information on external USB hard drive

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Guy wrote:
    > HL0105 wrote:

    >> Looking for a freeware utility that will give me S.M.A.R.T.
    >> information on an external USB hard drive.
    >>

    > S.M.A.R.T. Monitoring Tools

    As there is no standardized vau to transport SMART over USB, these
    do not work. Only some (few) chipsets have non-standardized
    ways and they work only with the respective tools for specifically
    that chipset.

    Arno

  12. Re: Get S.M.A.R.T. information on external USB hard drive

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Guy
    > wrote:
    >> HL0105 wrote:

    >>> Looking for a freeware utility that will give me S.M.A.R.T.
    >>> information on an external USB hard drive.
    >>>

    >> S.M.A.R.T. Monitoring Tools
    >>

    > As there is no standardized vau to transport SMART over USB, these do
    > not work. Only some (few) chipsets have non-standardized ways and
    > they work only with the respective tools for specifically that
    > chipset.
    >
    > Arno

    It looks like only certain Cypress chips provide the necessary
    pass-through :

    > The current USB mass storage specification is based on a version of
    > SCSI (SPC-2) that can't support SAT. But some chips manufacturers
    > implement proprietary SCSI commands that allow ATA pass through
    > (similiar like for SAT). Well known is the cypress chipset, that
    > contains an ATACB proprietary pass through (for ATA commands passed
    > through SCSI commands) for which some information is publicly
    > available...

    But it looks like external monitoring /can/ get better in the future (ibid):
    > The SCSI to ATA Translation (SAT) standard (ANSI INCITS 431-2007) may
    > solve many problems in this area. It defines how SCSI commands will
    > be translated to the corresponding ATA commands and defines a
    > pass-through mechanism.

    Interesting topic. Thx Guy, for the s/w pointer.

    -Craig

  13. Re: Get S.M.A.R.T. information on external USB hard drive

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage chrisv
    > wrote:
    >> Squeeze wrote:

    >>> Like that he would know. Anyone that does is or goes in his
    >>> killfile.

    >> You do have a point, there...

    > I see quoted replies, just not the original nonsense. As most
    > idiocities produced by said individuals do not get replies or
    > only replies from the other trolls, this cust down on noise
    > significantly. However on the rare occasion a troll said
    > something useful, typically a non-troll responds and I see it.

    You wouldnt know if that happens or not because of your killfile.

  14. Re: Get S.M.A.R.T. information on external USB hard drive

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:6jfeu5F32gqcU2@mid.individual.net
    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage HL0105 wrote:
    > > On Sep 17, 10:00 am, "Squeeze" wrote:
    > > > HL0105 wrote innews:33acc230-8e7d-4fdf-a02c-88594fcd510e@a70g2000hsh.googlegroups.com

    > > > Depends on your USB drive chipset.
    > > > Some chipsets from Cypress and Oxford do support passing S.M.A.R.T. ,
    > > > others do not.
    > > >
    > > > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...rd+chipset&btn...

    > > Thanks for the replies.

    > > I'm buying a new Seagate FreeAgent external USB hard drive on Ebay. I
    > > wanted to use S.M.A.R.T. to confirm that it is in fact a new drive. If
    > > S.M.A.R.T. won't work on a USB drive, is there any other way I can
    > > confirm that the drive is new?

    > The only way is to open it.

    Obvious lie.

    > As it is Ebay, you might not have warranty anyways.

    Not a clue what Ebay is.

    > One it is open, connect it directly to get SMART data,
    > and look on the label to see the manufacturing date and a possible
    > refurbishing date.
    >

    > However I would strongly advise not to buy HDDs on Ebay.
    > All it takes is one good drop to kill a drive, possibly weeks
    > or months after the event.

    Yeah, obviously it makes a whole lot of a difference if you do that with
    a drive not bought from an Ebay store.

    > Arno

  15. Re: Get S.M.A.R.T. information on external USB hard drive

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:6jfeovF32gqcU1@mid.individual.net
    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage chrisv wrote:
    > > Squeeze wrote:

    > > > Like that he would know. Anyone that does is or goes in his killfile.

    > > You do have a point, there...

    > I see quoted replies, just not the original nonsense.

    Weird how you say next that you only see it when it's not nonsense.

    > As most idiocities produced by said individuals

    > do not get replies

    Because it's not an "idiocitie" at all, just a simple thruth everyone
    agrees with, without feeling a sick need to express their agreement.
    Only babblebots feel ever so selfimportant that they must verbally agree
    with someone else, like that their stamp of approval is so important to others.

    > or only replies from the other trolls, this cust down on noise significantly.

    You mean the noise that it causes in your head when you are confronted with
    your frequent stupities.

    > However on the rare occasion a troll said
    > something useful, typically a non-troll responds and I see it.

    And of course you got that backwards again.
    Actually it's only selfimportant trolls like yourself that do that.
    Anyone else silently agrees or doesn't care.
    It's when someone *strongly* disagrees that you get a response.
    But then those go in your extensive killfile.

    > Not surprisingly, this one troll does not understand how a
    > killfile works.

    Indeed you don't, babblebot.

    > Arno

  16. Re: Get S.M.A.R.T. information on external USB hard drive

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:6jfme6F31665U1@mid.individual.net
    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Guy wrote:
    > > HL0105 wrote:

    > > > Looking for a freeware utility that will give me S.M.A.R.T.
    > > > information on an external USB hard drive.
    > > >

    > > S.M.A.R.T. Monitoring Tools
    > > http://sourceforge.net/projects/smartmontools/

    > As there is no standardized vau to transport SMART over USB, these
    > do not work.

    And where exactly does it say that app only uses "standardized vau".

    > Only some (few) chipsets have non-standardized ways and they work
    > only with the respective tools for specifically that chipset.

    Pity you said it wasn't possible at all. Guess you lied then.

    > Arno

  17. Re: Get S.M.A.R.T. information on external USB hard drive

    HL0105 wrote in news:ce77f8fb-83d5-4860-9e69-45959015659e@y38g2000hsy.googlegroups.com
    > On Sep 17, 10:00 am, "Squeeze" wrote:
    > > HL0105 wrote innews:33acc230-8e7d-4fdf-a02c-88594fcd510e@a70g2000hsh.googlegroups.com
    > >
    > > > Looking for a freeware utility that will give me S.M.A.R.T.
    > > > information on an external USB hard drive. I did find HD Tune > > > www.hdtune.com> but that works on internal drives only.

    > > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    > > Depends on your USB drive chipset.
    > > Some chipsets from Cypress and Oxford do support passing S.M.A.R.T. ,
    > > others do not.
    > >
    > > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...rd+chipset&btn...

    > Thanks for the replies.

    Which apparently whooshed right by you.

    > I'm buying a new Seagate FreeAgent external USB hard drive on Ebay.

    > I wanted to use S.M.A.R.T. to confirm that it is in fact a new drive.

    So do. Run the Seagate diagnostics.

    > If S.M.A.R.T. won't work on a USB drive,

    And what exactly made you think that.
    What part about ignoring the Babblebot Troll did you not get.

    Here's that link again

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...oxford+chipset

    Now what does it say there under "Download EVEREST ....".

    > is there any other way I can confirm that the drive is new?

    Define 'new'.

    > Thanks.

  18. Re: Get S.M.A.R.T. information on external USB hard drive

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Craig wrote:
    > Arno Wagner wrote:
    >> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Guy
    >> wrote:

    >>> S.M.A.R.T. Monitoring Tools
    >>>

    >> As there is no standardized vau to transport SMART over USB, these do
    >> not work. Only some (few) chipsets have non-standardized ways and
    >> they work only with the respective tools for specifically that
    >> chipset.
    >>
    >> Arno

    > It looks like only certain Cypress chips provide the necessary
    > pass-through :

    >> The current USB mass storage specification is based on a version of
    >> SCSI (SPC-2) that can't support SAT. But some chips manufacturers
    >> implement proprietary SCSI commands that allow ATA pass through
    >> (similiar like for SAT). Well known is the cypress chipset, that
    >> contains an ATACB proprietary pass through (for ATA commands passed
    >> through SCSI commands) for which some information is publicly
    >> available...

    > But it looks like external monitoring /can/ get better in the future (ibid):
    >> The SCSI to ATA Translation (SAT) standard (ANSI INCITS 431-2007) may
    >> solve many problems in this area. It defines how SCSI commands will
    >> be translated to the corresponding ATA commands and defines a
    >> pass-through mechanism.

    > Interesting topic. Thx Guy, for the s/w pointer.

    > -Craig

  19. Re: Get S.M.A.R.T. information on external USB hard drive

    Craig wrote in news:gau984$dm4$1@registered.motzarella.org
    > Arno Wagner wrote:

    > > > S.M.A.R.T. Monitoring Tools

    > > As there is no standardized vau to transport SMART over USB, these do
    > > not work. Only some (few) chipsets have non-standardized ways and
    > > they work only with the respective tools for specifically that chipset.
    > >
    > > Arno

    > It looks like only certain Cypress chips provide the necessary pass-through
    > http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net...ml#testinghelp :
    >
    > "The current USB mass storage specification is based on a version of
    > SCSI (SPC-2) that can't support SAT. But some chips manufacturers
    > implement proprietary SCSI commands that allow ATA pass through
    > (similiar like for SAT). Well known is the cypress chipset, that contains
    > an ATACB proprietary pass through (for ATA commands passed through
    > SCSI commands) for which some information is publicly available..."

    > But it looks like external monitoring /can/ get better in the future (ibid):
    > "The SCSI to ATA Translation (SAT) standard (ANSI INCITS 431-2007)
    > may solve many problems in this area. It defines how SCSI commands will
    > be translated to the corresponding ATA commands and defines a
    > pass-through mechanism."
    >
    > Interesting topic. Thx Guy, for the s/w pointer.
    >
    > -Craig

    Of course the Babblebot already knew about that:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?&q="SCSI+to+ATA+Translation"+"folkert+rienstra"+usb+satl

  20. Re: Get S.M.A.R.T. information on external USB hard drive

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:6jg5odF3328hU1@mid.individual.net
    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Craig wrote:
    > > Arno Wagner wrote:

    > > > As there is no standardized vau to transport SMART over USB, these do
    > > > not work. Only some (few) chipsets have non-standardized ways and
    > > > they work only with the respective tools for specifically that chipset.
    > > >
    > > > Arno

    > > It looks like only certain Cypress chips provide the necessary
    > > pass-through :

    > > > The current USB mass storage specification is based on a version of
    > > > SCSI (SPC-2) that can't support SAT. But some chips manufacturers
    > > > implement proprietary SCSI commands that allow ATA pass through
    > > > (similiar like for SAT). Well known is the cypress chipset, that
    > > > contains an ATACB proprietary pass through (for ATA commands passed
    > > > through SCSI commands) for which some information is publicly
    > > > available... But it looks like external monitoring /can/ get better in the future (ibid):
    > > > The SCSI to ATA Translation (SAT) standard (ANSI INCITS 431-2007) may
    > > > solve many problems in this area. It defines how SCSI commands will
    > > > be translated to the corresponding ATA commands and defines a
    > > > pass-through mechanism.

    > > Interesting topic. Thx Guy, for the s/w pointer.

    > > -Craig

    Babblebot left in utter confusion.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast