What does 2x4 backplane mean? - Storage

This is a discussion on What does 2x4 backplane mean? - Storage ; on a dell server what does 2x4 backplane mean? thanks....

  1. What does 2x4 backplane mean?

    on a dell server what does 2x4 backplane mean? thanks.

  2. Re: What does 2x4 backplane mean?

    Hi!

    jmDesktop wrote:
    > on a dell server what does 2x4 backplane mean? thanks.

    It seems that you're talking about so called splitted backplane for SCSI
    disks.
    Instead having all disks on one bus, you can have them on two different
    buses and two different channels.

    With best regards,

    Iggy

  3. Re: What does 2x4 backplane mean?

    On or about Mon, 15 Sep 2008 11:21:21 -0700 (PDT) did jmDesktop
    dribble thusly:

    >on a dell server what does 2x4 backplane mean? thanks.

    Two SCSI channels with four drives each is the only sensible explanation.

  4. Re: What does 2x4 backplane mean?

    Mike Ruskai wrote in news:5bf2d4puivaaga0groru55rmss7fhqoi6g@4ax.com
    > On or about Mon, 15 Sep 2008 11:21:21 -0700 (PDT) did jmDesktop dribble thusly:
    >
    > > on a dell server what does 2x4 backplane mean? thanks.

    > Two SCSI channels with four drives each is the only sensible explanation.

    Nope, it's not. And the only sensible answer is to look it up
    and repeat what you find instead of speculating what is can be.

    Even more sensible is to kick OP's lazy butt and tell him to look it up himself.

  5. Re: What does 2x4 backplane mean?

    On Sep 17, 3:56*pm, "Squeeze" wrote:
    > Mike Ruskai wrote innews:5bf2d4puivaaga0groru55rmss7fhqoi6g@4ax.com
    >
    > > On or about Mon, 15 Sep 2008 11:21:21 -0700 (PDT) did jmDesktop dribble thusly:

    > > > on a dell server what does 2x4 backplane mean? *thanks.

    > > Two SCSI channels with four drives each is the only sensible explanation.

    > Nope, it's not. And the only sensible answer is to look it up
    > and repeat what you find instead of speculating what is can be.
    >
    > Even more sensible is to kick OP's lazy butt and tell him to look it up himself.

    I have tried. I did not see it so I inquired.

  6. Re: What does 2x4 backplane mean?

    On or about Fri, 19 Sep 2008 06:19:46 -0700 (PDT) did jmDesktop
    dribble thusly:

    >On Sep 17, 3:56*pm, "Squeeze" wrote:
    >> Mike Ruskai wrote innews:5bf2d4puivaaga0groru55rmss7fhqoi6g@4ax.com
    >>
    >> > On or about Mon, 15 Sep 2008 11:21:21 -0700 (PDT) did jmDesktop dribble thusly:

    >> > Two SCSI channels with four drives each is the only sensible explanation.

    >> Nope, it's not. And the only sensible answer is to look it up
    >> and repeat what you find instead of speculating what is can be.
    >>
    >> Even more sensible is to kick OP's lazy butt and tell him to look it up himself.

    >I have tried. I did not see it so I inquired.

    I haven't been following this group all that long, but quite long enough to
    know that the proper place for "Squeeze" is in a twit filter. By all means
    decide for yourself, but you'll not lose any useful information by following
    my advice on that score.

  7. Re: What does 2x4 backplane mean?

    Mike Ruskai wrote in news:va6dd4tsdgl0qa5ni5o7lonu2thkfe8jfv@4ax.com
    > On or about Fri, 19 Sep 2008 06:19:46 -0700 (PDT) did jmDesktop dribble thusly:
    > > On Sep 17, 3:56 pm, "Squeeze" wrote:
    > > > Mike Ruskai wrote innews:5bf2d4puivaaga0groru55rmss7fhqoi6g@4ax.com

    > > > Nope, it's not. And the only sensible answer is to look it up
    > > > and repeat what you find instead of speculating what it can be.
    > > >
    > > > Even more sensible is to kick OP's lazy butt and tell him to look it up himself.

    > > I have tried. I did not see it so I inquired.

    > I haven't been following this group all that long, but quite long enough to
    > know that the proper place for "Squeeze" is in a twit filter. By all means
    > decide for yourself, but you'll not lose any useful information by following
    > my advice on that score.

    In case it's just a single channel 2-row of 4 cage you can just ask Mikey
    your re-stocking fee back. That is IF you are allowed to return it at all.

    If a server has a dual channel SCSI controller usually the expression
    2x4 *split* backplane is used, not just "2x4 backplane ".

+ Reply to Thread