Questions on WWN / WWPN and WWNN ? - Storage

This is a discussion on Questions on WWN / WWPN and WWNN ? - Storage ; Although I have searched the web but still confused between WWN / WWPN and WWNN. I would like to confirm my understanding 1) WWN is just a generic name that indicates that there is a naming convention for FC stuff. ...

  1. Questions on WWN / WWPN and WWNN ?

    Although I have searched the web but still confused between WWN / WWPN and
    WWNN.

    I would like to confirm my understanding

    1) WWN is just a generic name that indicates that there is a naming
    convention for FC stuff.

    2) For HBA (Let us say, single port), it only has WWPN.

    3) For a FC Switch, for each port, it has a unique WWPN.

    4) When do we use WWNN ?

    Your advice is sought.

  2. Re: Questions on WWN / WWPN and WWNN ?

    WWN = World Wide Name
    WWPN = World Wide Port Name
    WWNN = World Wide Node Name.

    If a host has more than one HBA, then the port names will be different, but
    the node name will be the same.

    "Patrick" wrote in message
    > Although I have searched the web but still confused between WWN / WWPN and
    > WWNN.
    >
    > I would like to confirm my understanding
    >
    > 1) WWN is just a generic name that indicates that there is a naming
    > convention for FC stuff.
    >
    > 2) For HBA (Let us say, single port), it only has WWPN.
    >
    > 3) For a FC Switch, for each port, it has a unique WWPN.
    >
    > 4) When do we use WWNN ?
    >
    > Your advice is sought.

  3. Re: Questions on WWN / WWPN and WWNN ?

    Thanks

    "John Fullbright" wrote in message
    > WWN = World Wide Name
    > WWPN = World Wide Port Name
    > WWNN = World Wide Node Name.
    >
    > If a host has more than one HBA, then the port names will be different,
    > but the node name will be the same.
    >

    > "Patrick" wrote in message
    >> Although I have searched the web but still confused between WWN / WWPN
    >> and WWNN.
    >>
    >> I would like to confirm my understanding
    >>
    >> 1) WWN is just a generic name that indicates that there is a naming
    >> convention for FC stuff.
    >>
    >> 2) For HBA (Let us say, single port), it only has WWPN.
    >>
    >> 3) For a FC Switch, for each port, it has a unique WWPN.
    >>
    >> 4) When do we use WWNN ?
    >>
    >> Your advice is sought.

+ Reply to Thread