RAID Storage Array for my Western Digital 250gb drives? - Help! - Storage

This is a discussion on RAID Storage Array for my Western Digital 250gb drives? - Help! - Storage ; I have three extra Western Digital 250gb SATA drives that I'd like to put to use. My thought is to put them into a "rack" and make a 750gb RAID array out of them for additional storage on my PC, ...

  1. RAID Storage Array for my Western Digital 250gb drives? - Help!

    I have three extra Western Digital 250gb SATA drives that I'd like to put to
    use.

    My thought is to put them into a "rack" and make a 750gb RAID array out of
    them for additional storage on my PC, probably via a USB connection.

    I've heard of Drobo but is there a less expensive rack I can buy that will
    allow me to slide these three (and possibly a 4th) drives into, then RAID
    them into a 750gb virtual drive, and occasionally connect to my desktop for
    data archiving?

    It goes without saying that the rack system must be reliable. I'd appreciate
    any leads.

    TIA---

  2. Re: RAID Storage Array for my Western Digital 250gb drives? - Help!

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Storage wrote:
    > I have three extra Western Digital 250gb SATA drives that I'd like to put to
    > use.

    > My thought is to put them into a "rack" and make a 750gb RAID array out of
    > them for additional storage on my PC, probably via a USB connection.

    > I've heard of Drobo but is there a less expensive rack I can buy that will
    > allow me to slide these three (and possibly a 4th) drives into, then RAID
    > them into a 750gb virtual drive, and occasionally connect to my desktop for
    > data archiving?

    > It goes without saying that the rack system must be reliable. I'd appreciate
    > any leads.

    The first lead would be that a 3-way RAID0 or JBOD is pretty
    unreliable. One disk has a problem - all data is gone. I think
    with such a setup, the rack is the least of your concerns.
    Still, cheap is the enemy of reliable, while expensive is not
    necessarily its friend.

    Arno

  3. Re: RAID Storage Array for my Western Digital 250gb drives? - Help!

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Storage wrote:
    > I have three extra Western Digital 250gb SATA drives that I'd like to put to
    > use.

    > My thought is to put them into a "rack" and make a 750gb RAID array out of
    > them for additional storage on my PC, probably via a USB connection.

    > I've heard of Drobo but is there a less expensive rack I can buy that will
    > allow me to slide these three (and possibly a 4th) drives into, then RAID
    > them into a 750gb virtual drive, and occasionally connect to my desktop for
    > data archiving?

    > It goes without saying that the rack system must be reliable. I'd appreciate
    > any leads.

    The first lead would be that a 3-way RAID0 or JBOD is pretty
    unreliable. One disk has a problem - all data is gone. I think
    with such a setup, the rack is the least of your concerns.
    Still, cheap is the enemy of reliable, while expensive is not
    necessarily its friend.

    Arno

  4. Re: RAID Storage Array for my Western Digital 250gb drives? - Help!

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Storage wrote:
    > I have three extra Western Digital 250gb SATA drives that I'd like to put to
    > use.

    > My thought is to put them into a "rack" and make a 750gb RAID array out of
    > them for additional storage on my PC, probably via a USB connection.

    > I've heard of Drobo but is there a less expensive rack I can buy that will
    > allow me to slide these three (and possibly a 4th) drives into, then RAID
    > them into a 750gb virtual drive, and occasionally connect to my desktop for
    > data archiving?

    > It goes without saying that the rack system must be reliable. I'd appreciate
    > any leads.

    The first lead would be that a 3-way RAID0 or JBOD is pretty
    unreliable. One disk has a problem - all data is gone. I think
    with such a setup, the rack is the least of your concerns.
    Still, cheap is the enemy of reliable, while expensive is not
    necessarily its friend.

    Arno

  5. Re: RAID Storage Array for my Western Digital 250gb drives? - Help!

    > I've heard of Drobo but is there a less expensive rack I can buy that will
    > allow me to slide these three (and possibly a 4th) drives into, >

    Probably no,
    The "rack" manufacturer will probably only support a particular disk which
    they manufactur themselves.
    I have never seen a "generic rack" where you can "slide in some disks"...
    rack and disks go together.

    rgds
    Edwin.

  6. Re: RAID Storage Array for my Western Digital 250gb drives? - Help!

    > I've heard of Drobo but is there a less expensive rack I can buy that will
    > allow me to slide these three (and possibly a 4th) drives into, >

    Probably no,
    The "rack" manufacturer will probably only support a particular disk which
    they manufactur themselves.
    I have never seen a "generic rack" where you can "slide in some disks"...
    rack and disks go together.

    rgds
    Edwin.

  7. Re: RAID Storage Array for my Western Digital 250gb drives? - Help!

    > I've heard of Drobo but is there a less expensive rack I can buy that will
    > allow me to slide these three (and possibly a 4th) drives into, >

    Probably no,
    The "rack" manufacturer will probably only support a particular disk which
    they manufactur themselves.
    I have never seen a "generic rack" where you can "slide in some disks"...
    rack and disks go together.

    rgds
    Edwin.

  8. Re: RAID Storage Array for my Western Digital 250gb drives? - Help!

    "Edwin vMierlo [MVP]" escribió en
    el mensaje news:%23sKW0ZxFJHA.4460@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

    >> I've heard of Drobo but is there a less expensive rack I can buy that
    >> will
    >> allow me to slide these three (and possibly a 4th) drives into, >
    >>

    > Probably no,
    > The "rack" manufacturer will probably only support a particular disk which
    > they manufactur themselves.
    > I have never seen a "generic rack" where you can "slide in some disks"...
    > rack and disks go together.
    >
    > rgds
    > Edwin.

    Brands like QNAP or Synology (among others) manufacture NASes which can hold
    from 1 to 5 disks depending on model. If they hold two or more disks they
    allow different RAID options. These NASes are atually more than just NASes
    as they have builtin more services than just file sharing.

    They might not be enterprise-grade but for SOHOs or home use they perfetly
    fit the bill. I can tell you as at work I manage a Dell Ax100i SAN.

    They sell only the hardware. The disks are on your side. They accept
    multiple brands/models

    Regards,
    Miguel

+ Reply to Thread