Defrag folders on USB drive??? - Storage

This is a discussion on Defrag folders on USB drive??? - Storage ; I have a USB2 hard drive, and I want to defrag the folders so they're located at the same spot on the disk. I know Diskeeper does this, but only on boot-time if you set the software to do it. ...

  1. Defrag folders on USB drive???

    I have a USB2 hard drive, and I want to defrag the folders so they're
    located at the same spot on the disk. I know Diskeeper does this, but
    only on boot-time if you set the software to do it. And in this case,
    the machine must not be recognizing the USB device in time on boot-up,
    because the boot-time defragmentation doesn't occur.

    Maybe I shouldn't expect USB device detection to happen in time for
    the boot-time defrag, I'm not sure.

    Regardless - is there any app out there that will defrag folders in
    this fashion without the need to do it at boot time??

    Thanks!!

  2. Re: Defrag folders on USB drive???

    "jkdefrag gui" can do that for everything but the master file table
    (assuming ntfs).

    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.

  3. Re: Defrag folders on USB drive???

    On Sep 14, 2:02*pm, Ed Light wrote:
    > "jkdefrag gui" can do that for everything but the master file table
    > (assuming ntfs).
    >
    > --
    > Ed Light
    >
    > Better World News TV Channel:http://realnews.com
    >
    > Bring the Troops Home:http://bringthemhomenow.orghttp://antiwar.com
    >
    > Iraq Veterans Against the War:http://ivaw.orghttp://couragetoresist.org
    >
    > Send spam to the FTC at
    > s...@uce.gov
    > Thanks, robots.

    Mm... It's FAT32, sadly. The drive is to sling off a USB port in my
    car, to hold tunes - it only supports FAT32...

    Oh well. Not a deal-breaker by any stretch. Thanks!

  4. Re: Defrag folders on USB drive???

    Previously BD wrote:
    > On Sep 14, 2:02*pm, Ed Light wrote:
    >> "jkdefrag gui" can do that for everything but the master file table
    >> (assuming ntfs).
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ed Light
    >>
    >> Better World News TV Channel:http://realnews.com
    >>
    >> Bring the Troops Home:http://bringthemhomenow.orghttp://antiwar.com
    >>
    >> Iraq Veterans Against the War:http://ivaw.orghttp://couragetoresist.org
    >>
    >> Send spam to the FTC at
    >> s...@uce.gov
    >> Thanks, robots.

    > Mm... It's FAT32, sadly. The drive is to sling off a USB port in my
    > car, to hold tunes - it only supports FAT32...

    > Oh well. Not a deal-breaker by any stretch. Thanks!

    Well, if it is just getting slow because of extreme
    fragmentation, any disk defragger should do.

    Arno

  5. Re: Defrag folders on USB drive???

    BD wrote:

    > Mm... It's FAT32, sadly.

    jkdefrag gue can still defrag it. It will have a fat instead of an mft
    -- not sure if it will move that. You'll see in the gui when it does it.

    Just set "free space" to zero. Otherwise it leaves some gaps for temp
    files. You want "Analyze, defrag, and fast optimization."

    http://www.emro.nl/freeware/

    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.

  6. Re: Defrag folders on USB drive???

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 18:13:35 -0700 (PDT), BD
    put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >The drive is to sling off a USB port in my
    >car, to hold tunes - it only supports FAT32...

    Why would you want to bounce a hard drive around in your car? Can't
    you fit all your MP3 driving music on a 4GB or 8GB flash drive? At
    around 3MB per tune, that would be about 300 tunes per GB.

    - Franc Zabkar

  7. Re: Defrag folders on USB drive???

    On Sep 14, 7:27*pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
    > BD wrote:
    > > On Sep 14, 2:02 pm, Ed Light wrote:
    > >> "jkdefrag gui" can do that for everything but the master file table
    > >> (assuming ntfs).

    > >> --
    > >> Ed Light

    > >> Better World News TV Channel:http://realnews.com

    > >> Bring the Troops Home:http://bringthemhomenow.orghttp://antiwar.com

    > >> Iraq Veterans Against the
    > >> War:http://ivaw.orghttp://couragetoresist.org

    > >> Send spam to the FTC at
    > >> s...@uce.gov
    > >> Thanks, robots.

    > > Mm... It's FAT32, sadly. The drive is to sling off a USB port in my
    > > car, to hold tunes - it only supports FAT32...

    > > Oh well. Not a deal-breaker by any stretch. Thanks!

    > Why bother to defrag a drive that holds itunes ? *The replay speed
    > is entirely determined by the speed at which the media is played at
    > and extra seeks that fragments involved will be completely invisible.- Hide quoted text -

    The drive sticks into my car. My car stereo has a USB input. I can
    play the tunes through my car stereo.

    Everything works brilliantly, but the initial scan time (between when
    the drive's plugged in and you can start playing) can run about 30
    seconds. I'm not sure whether the stereo is reading the filesystem or
    the tags during this time. But I thought a defrag of the folders might
    speed up the initial seek a bit.

  8. Re: Defrag folders on USB drive???

    On Sep 15, 3:56*pm, Franc Zabkar wrote:
    > On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 18:13:35 -0700 (PDT), BD
    > put finger to keyboard and composed:
    >
    > >The drive is to sling off a USB port in my
    > >car, to hold tunes - it only supports FAT32...

    > Why would you want to bounce a hard drive around in your car? Can't
    > you fit all your MP3 driving music on a 4GB or 8GB flash drive? At
    > around 3MB per tune, that would be about 300 tunes per GB.
    >
    > - Franc Zabkar
    > --
    > Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.

    I can fit a fair bit of music on a flash drive, sure - but over time
    I'll stick dribs and drabs more onto it, until it fills up. And it's
    just incredibly convenient to have the ability to haul that much music
    around in one tiny little package, not having to worry about deleting
    some to make room for others... *ever*.

  9. Re: Defrag folders on USB drive???

    BD wrote:
    > On Sep 14, 7:27 pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
    >> BD wrote:

    >>> Mm... It's FAT32, sadly. The drive is to sling off a USB port in my
    >>> car, to hold tunes - it only supports FAT32...

    >>> Oh well. Not a deal-breaker by any stretch. Thanks!

    >> Why bother to defrag a drive that holds itunes ? The replay speed
    >> is entirely determined by the speed at which the media is played at
    >> and extra seeks that fragments involved will be completely
    >> invisible.- Hide quoted text -

    > The drive sticks into my car. My car stereo has a USB input. I can
    > play the tunes through my car stereo.

    > Everything works brilliantly, but the initial scan time (between when the
    > drive's plugged in and you can start playing) can run about 30 seconds.

    I doubt that has anything to do with the drive being fragmented, essentially because
    the file system cant be fragmented enough to make much difference to that time.

    Likely its just the total number of files thats producing the long time.

    > I'm not sure whether the stereo is reading the filesystem or
    > the tags during this time. But I thought a defrag of the folders might
    > speed up the initial seek a bit.

    I doubt it would make any difference at all, essentially because fragmenting
    the files themselves is irrelevant to the file system thats being scanned.

+ Reply to Thread