A question about docks for bare SATA drives - Storage

This is a discussion on A question about docks for bare SATA drives - Storage ; Does anyone know of a SATA dock/tray enclosure that fits in a half height case opening? I'd like to keep the "tray" as cheap and simple as possible, maybe even none. -- Al Dykes News is something someone wants to ...

  1. A question about docks for bare SATA drives

    --
    Al Dykes

  2. Re: A question about docks for bare SATA drives

    On 12 Sep 2008 22:14:31 -0400, adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) had a flock
    of green cheek conures squawk out:

    >Does anyone know of a SATA dock/tray enclosure that fits in a half
    >height case opening? I'd like to keep the "tray" as cheap and simple
    >as possible, maybe even none.

    Like this?
    http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/S...roductID=25440

    --
    Stephen

    .... Feed Your Need To Read.

  3. Re: A question about docks for bare SATA drives

    Al Dykes wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a SATA dock/tray enclosure that fits in a half
    > height case opening? I'd like to keep the "tray" as cheap and simple
    > as possible, maybe even none.

    Or maybe these. ...
    http://www.century.co.jp/products_razoku.html

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26.5

  4. Re: A question about docks for bare SATA drives

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:
    > Al Dykes wrote:
    >> Does anyone know of a SATA dock/tray enclosure that fits in a half
    >> height case opening? I'd like to keep the "tray" as cheap and simple
    >> as possible, maybe even none.
    >>

    > Or maybe these. ...
    > http://www.century.co.jp/products_razoku.html

    http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?W...source=froogle

    These are good - i have one

    they make a pro version now as well

    http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=810288

  5. Re: A question about docks for bare SATA drives

    "june" wrote in message
    news:fOSdnWzqa49zv1DVnZ2dnUVZ8rednZ2d@giganews.com ...
    > Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:
    >> Al Dykes wrote:
    >>> Does anyone know of a SATA dock/tray enclosure that fits in a half
    >>> height case opening? I'd like to keep the "tray" as cheap and simple
    >>> as possible, maybe even none.
    >>>

    >> Or maybe these. ...
    >> http://www.century.co.jp/products_razoku.html
    >>

    > http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?W...source=froogle
    >
    > These are good - i have one
    >
    > they make a pro version now as well
    >
    > http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=810288

    I have a Thermaltake BlacX with eSATA, which is identical to the
    above pro version. Using the eSATA connection, any SATA HD
    plugged into it becomes an internal drive to the OS, so it's very
    fast, and can be used for installing OSs, and as a boot drive.

    It also takes 2.5" SATA laptop drives.

  6. Re: A question about docks for bare SATA drives

    > http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?W...source=froogle
    >
    > These are good - i have one
    >
    > they make a pro version now as well
    >
    > http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=810288

    Why is the same thing so much more expensive in UK than in HK?

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26.5
    ^ ^ 13:53:01 up 5 days 22:43 3 users load average: 1.16 1.11 1.12
    ? ? (CSSA):

  7. Re: A question about docks for bare SATA drives

    "Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" wrote in message
    >> http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?W...source=froogle
    >>
    >> These are good - i have one
    >>
    >> they make a pro version now as well
    >>
    >> http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=810288

    > Why is the same thing so much more expensive in UK than in HK?

    Four words: shipping, duties, taxes, markups.

    Duties may or may not be applicable, depending upon agreements
    between trading countries.

  8. Re: A question about docks for bare SATA drives

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 13:55:16 +0800, "Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)"
    wrote:

    > > http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?W...source=froogle
    > >
    > > These are good - i have one
    > >
    > > they make a pro version now as well
    > >
    > > http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=810288

    I saw a similar thing at BestBuy in the United States, but it had
    FireWire (IEEE-1394a) also. It was under US$70. (I can't find it on
    the www.bestbuy.com web site, so sorry, no link.)
    I found this:
    http://usb.brando.com.hk/prod_detail.php?prod_id=00517
    which has FireWire 400, FireWire 800 (IEEE-1394a, IEEE-1394b),
    USB 2.0, and eSATA, but it is US$183 in the US counting shipping.
    This seems too expensive, since the all-but-FW800 thing seemed
    expensive at 1/3 the price.

    These docking stations seem nice and probably will stand up
    to use for weekly backups (not daily or more often use,
    as in a school's computer lab.), but you still need something to
    carry the disk in.

    These things protect somewhat from shock:

    http://www.granitedigital.com/index....ROD&ProdID=210
    for about US$10/disk, but they have to be removed to use in the
    docks that I have seen (which cover about 1/3 of the disk, not just
    the edge) In addition, the cover and circuit board of the disk isn't
    protected.

    I'm going to continue to look around and look for the smallest
    "hard shells" I can find and use them with the electronics from
    some other boxes. This won't be suitable for day to day
    use, but will work for backups and take about 1/3 the space in
    the safe deposit box that I put the backups in.

    I've been using www.addonics.com USIB stuff for EIDE, eSATA, USB,
    and IEEE-1394a access in one box with different cables, but the
    eSATA stuff is limited by the USIB speed and the box is
    bigger than the smallest possible box, so it's time
    to look for a faster, smaller setup and get IEEE-1394b.
    (I'll have to give up EIDE, but I seldom use that.)

    > Why is the same thing so much more expensive in UK than in HK?

  9. Re: A question about docks for bare SATA drives

    > as in a school's computer lab.), but you still need something to
    > carry the disk in.

    That will be the box that wrapped the hard disk when you bought it.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26.5
    ^ ^ 10:48:01 up 6 days 19:38 3 users load average: 1.06 1.22 3.50
    ? ? (CSSA):