Re: Partition Size during Setup - Storage

This is a discussion on Re: Partition Size during Setup - Storage ; Let's ask them here. x-posted to: microsoft.public.storage http://www.microsoft.com/communities...4-4e98e766ac15 -- Regards, Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup. Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] http://www.microsoft.com/protect "Ben Cooper" wrote: > Thank you, Dave. > > How would I go ...

  1. Re: Partition Size during Setup

    --

    Regards,

    "Ben Cooper" wrote:
    > Thank you, Dave.
    >
    > How would I go about creating a GPT disk and using diskpart to align it
    > prior to actually loading the OS? I've read that unaligned sectors can
    > cause
    > a big performance hit, especially in RAID arrays. I just don't know how
    > start fresh with a GPT disk (thus getting around that size contraint) and
    > use
    > diskpart.exe to align it prior to having an OS installed.
    >
    > Any ideas or articles where I can find a set of best practices/ho-to's?
    >

    > "Dave Patrick" wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, 2TB is the limit.
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...e/GPT_FAQ.mspx
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    >> Microsoft Certified Professional
    >> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >>

    >> "Ben Cooper" wrote:
    >> > Hi I am installing Win2K3 Enterprise R2 x32 onto a new Dell server.
    >> > There
    >> > are 8 physical disks in a RAID6 array, totalling 2.4TB. The problem
    >> > comes
    >> > during Setup, when it is time to create the partition to install
    >> > Windows
    >> > into. I press C to create a new partition, but It won't let me use the
    >> > maximum size that it shows available to me. Pressing Enter to accept
    >> > this
    >> > value literally does nothing.
    >> >
    >> > Trying to get around this, I just set a 20GB partition for the OS,
    >> > leaving
    >> > the other space unpartitioned. Setup went well, but when I used Disk
    >> > Management to go back and create the partition in the remaninig space,
    >> > it
    >> > showed me one section of "Unallocated Space" of 2TB and another section
    >> > of
    >> > Unallocated Space of .4TB.
    >> >
    >> > Is there a partition limitation to 2TB? This is basically just going
    >> > be
    >> > a file/archive server, and I would like just one huge partition if
    >> > possible.

  2. Re: Partition Size during Setup

    > "Ben Cooper" wrote:
    > > Thank you, Dave.
    > >
    > > How would I go about creating a GPT disk and using diskpart to align it
    > > prior to actually loading the OS? I've read that unaligned sectors can
    > > cause
    > > a big performance hit, especially in RAID arrays. I just don't know how
    > > start fresh with a GPT disk (thus getting around that size contraint)

    and
    > > use
    > > diskpart.exe to align it prior to having an OS installed.
    > >
    > > Any ideas or articles where I can find a set of best practices/ho-to's?

    Help us understand:

    Why do you want an OS disk which is larger than 2TB ?

  3. Re: Partition Size during Setup

    I am more focused on figuring out a way to align the sectors on the OS
    partition prior to loading the OS. I do not wish a performance decrease on
    the OS partition OR on the data partition.

    "Edwin vMierlo [MVP]" wrote:

    > > "Ben Cooper" wrote:
    > > > Thank you, Dave.
    > > >
    > > > How would I go about creating a GPT disk and using diskpart to align it
    > > > prior to actually loading the OS? I've read that unaligned sectors can
    > > > cause
    > > > a big performance hit, especially in RAID arrays. I just don't know how
    > > > start fresh with a GPT disk (thus getting around that size contraint)

    > and
    > > > use
    > > > diskpart.exe to align it prior to having an OS installed.
    > > >
    > > > Any ideas or articles where I can find a set of best practices/ho-to's?
    > > >

    > Help us understand:
    >
    > Why do you want an OS disk which is larger than 2TB ?

  4. Re: Partition Size during Setup

    Is this a physical host or a virtual host?
    What RAID hardware?

    Generally, you would do that from another host. You could create two
    partitions, load to the second, align the first partition, then do a new
    install to the first partition, but that hardly seems worth it.

    When left with poorly performing boot partitions due to vendor supplied
    autobuild programs, I usually use this strategy to improve performance.

    1. move the page file to another aligned partition with a 4K allocation
    unit size.
    2. move the system temp directory to another partition.
    3. move data directories to another partition.

    If all you have left is system and program image files on the boot
    partition, they are read infrequently and only written when you apply
    patches. Most of you IO happens in the page file, the temp directory and
    application data directories. You'll get quite a bit of mileage out of just
    moving them.

    "Ben Cooper" wrote in message
    news71206CA-DAC5-4033-8B2D-699D243A264D@microsoft.com...
    >I am more focused on figuring out a way to align the sectors on the OS
    > partition prior to loading the OS. I do not wish a performance decrease
    > on
    > the OS partition OR on the data partition.

    >> and

    >> Help us understand:
    >>
    >> Why do you want an OS disk which is larger than 2TB ?

  5. Re: Partition Size during Setup

    > I am more focused on figuring out a way to align the sectors on the OS
    > partition prior to loading the OS. I do not wish a performance decrease

    on
    > the OS partition OR on the data partition.

    For the OS partition, you will have to do this from another host,
    for additional partitions, you can do it from the machine already running.

    it

    can

    how

    contraint)
    > > and

    practices/ho-to's?

    > > Help us understand:
    > >
    > > Why do you want an OS disk which is larger than 2TB ?

+ Reply to Thread