WD MyBook Essential 320GB Speed? - Storage

This is a discussion on WD MyBook Essential 320GB Speed? - Storage ; I purchased the external WD Essential 320GB to replace my external WD 80GB drive. When launching programs from the Essential, it is very slow compared to the WD 80GB drive I replaced. Both drives are external and connected via a ...

  1. WD MyBook Essential 320GB Speed?

    I purchased the external WD Essential 320GB to replace my external WD
    80GB drive. When launching programs from the Essential, it is very
    slow compared to the WD 80GB drive I replaced. Both drives are
    external and connected via a USB2.0 port.

    What can I do to speed up the access to the program launching and
    other accessing to the WD Essential 320GB external drive?

    Thanks for any tips/suggestions/

    Charliec
    Charliec

  2. Re: WD MyBook Essential 320GB Speed?

    Previously Charliec wrote:
    > I purchased the external WD Essential 320GB to replace my external WD
    > 80GB drive. When launching programs from the Essential, it is very
    > slow compared to the WD 80GB drive I replaced. Both drives are
    > external and connected via a USB2.0 port.

    > What can I do to speed up the access to the program launching and
    > other accessing to the WD Essential 320GB external drive?

    You cannot really. However, you may have a misconfiguration
    or other error that you can clean up. Check whether the device
    is actually running as USB 2.0.

    Arno

  3. Re: WD MyBook Essential 320GB Speed?

    Charliec wrote:

    > I purchased the external WD Essential 320GB to replace my external WD
    > 80GB drive. When launching programs from the Essential, it is very
    > slow compared to the WD 80GB drive I replaced. Both drives are
    > external and connected via a USB2.0 port.
    >
    > What can I do to speed up the access to the program launching and
    > other accessing to the WD Essential 320GB external drive?
    >
    > Thanks for any tips/suggestions/
    >
    > Charliec
    > ************************************************** ****
    > Charliec

    FWIW, I measured the read speed of my 500GB MyBook, using HDtach, at
    ~29 MB/s across the whole 500GB. USB 2.0 on a 3GHz P4 under XP SP3.
    --
    Cheers, Bob

  4. Re: WD MyBook Essential 320GB Speed?

    On Sep 9, 11:15*am, Bob Willard
    wrote:
    > Charliec wrote:
    > > I purchased the external WD Essential 320GB to replace my external WD
    > > 80GB drive. *When launching programs from the Essential, it is very
    > > slow compared to the WD 80GB drive I replaced. *Both drives are
    > > external and connected via a USB2.0 port.

    > > What can I do to speed up the access to the program launching and
    > > other accessing to the WD Essential 320GB external drive?

    > > Thanks for any tips/suggestions/

    > > Charliec
    > > ************************************************** ****
    > > Charliec

    > FWIW, I measured the read speed of my 500GB MyBook, using HDtach, at
    > ~29 MB/s across the whole 500GB. *USB 2.0 on a 3GHz P4 under XP SP3.
    > --
    > Cheers, Bob

    Is the new drive FAT32 or NTFS. Some drives are still shipped as
    FAT32 to be Mac compatible

    Do you have the drive properties set for performance or quick
    removal? Quick removal can be slow

    Michael
    www.cnwrecovery.com

  5. Re: WD MyBook Essential 320GB Speed?

    mscotgrove@aol.com wrote:
    > On Sep 9, 11:15 am, Bob Willard
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Charliec wrote:
    >>
    >>>I purchased the external WD Essential 320GB to replace my external WD
    >>>80GB drive. When launching programs from the Essential, it is very
    >>>slow compared to the WD 80GB drive I replaced. Both drives are
    >>>external and connected via a USB2.0 port.

    >>>What can I do to speed up the access to the program launching and
    >>>other accessing to the WD Essential 320GB external drive?

    >>>Thanks for any tips/suggestions/

    >>>Charliec
    >>>************************************************** ****
    >>>Charliec

    >>FWIW, I measured the read speed of my 500GB MyBook, using HDtach, at
    >>~29 MB/s across the whole 500GB. USB 2.0 on a 3GHz P4 under XP SP3.
    >>--
    >>Cheers, Bob

    > Is the new drive FAT32 or NTFS. Some drives are still shipped as
    > FAT32 to be Mac compatible
    >
    > Do you have the drive properties set for performance or quick
    > removal? Quick removal can be slow
    >

    > Michael
    > www.cnwrecovery.com

    My MyBook arrived with FAT32, and I immediately reformatted it to NTFS.
    It is set for quick removal, since I only use it for backup and remove it
    when the backup is done.
    --
    Cheers, Bob

  6. Re: WD MyBook Essential 320GB Speed?

    On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 13:57:34 -0700, Charliec
    wrote:

    > I purchased the external WD Essential 320GB to replace my external WD
    > 80GB drive. When launching programs from the Essential, it is very
    > slow compared to the WD 80GB drive I replaced. Both drives are
    > external and connected via a USB2.0 port.
    >
    > What can I do to speed up the access to the program launching and
    > other accessing to the WD Essential 320GB external drive?

    I don't think you can speed it up, although there is a chance
    that using a different USB interface would speed things up.
    (I assume you are using USB 2.0 - I am referring to performance
    differences with different USB 2.0 interfaces, either on the
    same machine or another machine.)

    I had some film scanned to disk and it came back on a
    Western Digital My Book Essential 1TB
    UPC 7 18037 12270 0 R/N: ADC
    Order
    WDH1U10000N
    Model
    WD10000H1U-00

    The drive inside (I open up just about everything AFTER I test it -
    now that we know it works, lets see why.)
    seems to be
    WD P/N: WD10EAVS-00D780
    MDL: WD10EAVS-00D7B0
    DATE: 24 JUN 2008
    (I didn't take things apart far enough to see if the
    disk is a SATA test connected to an independent
    SATA-to-USB converter, or if the electronics is
    "melded together".)
    (Assuming that I copied the model number correctly after
    prying the My Book apart, the drive is a Western Digital
    Caviar GP WD10EACS 1TB 5400 to 7200 RPM
    16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
    Perhaps what appears to be variable speed affects the performance.)

    So it is a fairly recent drive and should have reasonable performance.
    However, I found that it performed poorly for a SATA drive connected
    to USB 2.0. (I also know from experience that USB 2.0 is typically
    1/2 the speed of IEEE-1394a, and typically around 1/4 the speed
    of an eSATA connection to a SATA disk.)

    Here are the details:
    When I copied from the My Book Essential it only
    ran at about 15MB/second. (I typically see 22-25MB/second for
    USB 2.0 to SATA [as was the case here], and about 40-45MB/second
    for input from IEEE-1394a, and 60 MB/second for input from eSATA.)

    In other words, the drive performed poorly compared to other
    drives with USB 2.0/SATA interfaces, and USB 2.0 only runs
    at 1/2 of IEEE-1393a, 1/3 of what I can see for SATA copies.
    (My SATA adapter is on a PCI card, so my SATA-to-SATA copy operations
    are limited by the PCI bus speed.)

    HD Tach and HD Tune also showed low speeds compared to other
    USB 2.0/SATA disk external boxes. The numbers were about
    15MB/second for HD Tune 2.53 and 17MB/second for
    HD Tach RW version 3.0.0. (I think the performance difference
    is due to HD Tune using a smaller read block size than HD Tach.)

    I used a (six year old) Gateway 700S 2.4 MHz, 512MB, Windows
    XP Professional with Service Pack 2 system for all of the
    tests and for the copy of the data files from the
    WD My Book Essential.

    (In my case, I suggested to the company that did the film scanning
    that they try a Western Digital My Book Home Edition, which has
    USB 2.0, IEEE-1394a, and eSATA if they couldn't get Studio
    Edition's formatted for Windows instead of Mac. However the
    company would have to weigh evaluating another disk type for their
    use as compared what probably would only allow overnight
    copies completing faster.)

    > Thanks for any tips/suggestions/
    >
    > Charliec
    > ************************************************** ****
    > Charliec

  7. Re: WD MyBook Essential 320GB Speed?

    On 9 Sep 2008 03:46:16 GMT, Arno Wagner wrote:

    >Previously Charliec wrote:
    >> I purchased the external WD Essential 320GB to replace my external WD
    >> 80GB drive. When launching programs from the Essential, it is very
    >> slow compared to the WD 80GB drive I replaced. Both drives are
    >> external and connected via a USB2.0 port.

    >> What can I do to speed up the access to the program launching and
    >> other accessing to the WD Essential 320GB external drive?

    >You cannot really. However, you may have a misconfiguration
    >or other error that you can clean up. Check whether the device
    >is actually running as USB 2.0.
    >
    >Arno

    I'm not totally up on some of these things - how does one check the
    drive to see if it is running as USB 2.0?
    Thanks
    Charliec

  8. Re: WD MyBook Essential 320GB Speed?

    On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 06:15:27 -0400, Bob Willard
    wrote:

    >Charliec wrote:
    >
    >> I purchased the external WD Essential 320GB to replace my external WD
    >> 80GB drive. When launching programs from the Essential, it is very
    >> slow compared to the WD 80GB drive I replaced. Both drives are
    >> external and connected via a USB2.0 port.
    >>
    >> What can I do to speed up the access to the program launching and
    >> other accessing to the WD Essential 320GB external drive?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any tips/suggestions/
    >>
    >> Charliec
    >> ************************************************** ****
    >> Charliec

    >FWIW, I measured the read speed of my 500GB MyBook, using HDtach, at
    >~29 MB/s across the whole 500GB. USB 2.0 on a 3GHz P4 under XP SP3.

    I will get Hdtach and try it - will compare to your results.
    Charliec
    Charliec

  9. Re: WD MyBook Essential 320GB Speed?

    On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 04:04:19 -0700 (PDT), "mscotgrove@aol.com"
    wrote:

    >On Sep 9, 11:15*am, Bob Willard
    >wrote:
    >> Charliec wrote:
    >> > I purchased the external WD Essential 320GB to replace my external WD
    >> > 80GB drive. *When launching programs from the Essential, it is very
    >> > slow compared to the WD 80GB drive I replaced. *Both drives are
    >> > external and connected via a USB2.0 port.

    >> > What can I do to speed up the access to the program launching and
    >> > other accessing to the WD Essential 320GB external drive?

    >> > Thanks for any tips/suggestions/

    >> > Charliec
    >> > ************************************************** ****
    >> > Charliec

    >> FWIW, I measured the read speed of my 500GB MyBook, using HDtach, at
    >> ~29 MB/s across the whole 500GB. *USB 2.0 on a 3GHz P4 under XP SP3.
    >> --
    >> Cheers, Bob

    >Is the new drive FAT32 or NTFS. Some drives are still shipped as
    >FAT32 to be Mac compatible

    It was shipped as FAT32, I reformatted to NTFS upon installing

    >Do you have the drive properties set for performance or quick
    >removal? Quick removal can be slow

    I have it set to "Optimize for Performance"

    >Michael
    >www.cnwrecovery.com

    Charliec

  10. Re: WD MyBook Essential 320GB Speed?

    Previously Charliec wrote:
    > On 9 Sep 2008 03:46:16 GMT, Arno Wagner wrote:

    >>Previously Charliec wrote:
    >>> I purchased the external WD Essential 320GB to replace my external WD
    >>> 80GB drive. When launching programs from the Essential, it is very
    >>> slow compared to the WD 80GB drive I replaced. Both drives are
    >>> external and connected via a USB2.0 port.

    >>> What can I do to speed up the access to the program launching and
    >>> other accessing to the WD Essential 320GB external drive?

    >>You cannot really. However, you may have a misconfiguration
    >>or other error that you can clean up. Check whether the device
    >>is actually running as USB 2.0.
    >>
    >>Arno

    > I'm not totally up on some of these things - how does one check the
    > drive to see if it is running as USB 2.0?
    > Thanks
    > ************************************************** ****
    > Charliec

    You can copy a large file to/from it. If it gives you
    something < 2MB/sec, then it runns as USB1. With USB2.0
    you should get > 15MB/s.

    Arno

  11. Re: WD MyBook Essential 320GB Speed?

    wrote:

    >Charliec wrote:
    >
    >> I purchased the external WD Essential 320GB to replace my external WD
    >> 80GB drive. When launching programs from the Essential, it is very
    >> slow compared to the WD 80GB drive I replaced. Both drives are
    >> external and connected via a USB2.0 port.
    >>
    >> What can I do to speed up the access to the program launching and
    >> other accessing to the WD Essential 320GB external drive?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any tips/suggestions/
    >>
    >> Charliec
    >> ************************************************** ****
    >> Charliec

    >FWIW, I measured the read speed of my 500GB MyBook, using HDtach, at
    >~29 MB/s across the whole 500GB. USB 2.0 on a 3GHz P4 under XP SP3.

    Ok,
    I downloaded and ran HDtach using the "Long Bench" tests. It came
    back at 32.9 MB/s - so I guess it is running at USB 2.0!
    Thanks
    Charliec
    Charliec

  12. Re: WD MyBook Essential 320GB Speed?

    Previously Charliec wrote:
    > On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 06:15:27 -0400, Bob Willard
    > wrote:

    >>Charliec wrote:
    >>
    >>> I purchased the external WD Essential 320GB to replace my external WD
    >>> 80GB drive. When launching programs from the Essential, it is very
    >>> slow compared to the WD 80GB drive I replaced. Both drives are
    >>> external and connected via a USB2.0 port.
    >>>
    >>> What can I do to speed up the access to the program launching and
    >>> other accessing to the WD Essential 320GB external drive?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any tips/suggestions/
    >>>
    >>> Charliec
    >>> ************************************************** ****
    >>> Charliec

    >>FWIW, I measured the read speed of my 500GB MyBook, using HDtach, at
    >>~29 MB/s across the whole 500GB. USB 2.0 on a 3GHz P4 under XP SP3.

    > Ok,
    > I downloaded and ran HDtach using the "Long Bench" tests. It came
    > back at 32.9 MB/s - so I guess it is running at USB 2.0!
    > Thanks
    > Charliec
    > ************************************************** ****
    > Charliec

    Definitely. Also 32.9 MB/s is pretty good for en external
    enclosure. Maybe it is just that you had not configured
    the other drive for fast removal. I think Windows remembers
    these settings on a per drive basis, but I am not sure.

    Arno

  13. Re: WD MyBook Essential 320GB Speed?

    On 10 Sep 2008 00:23:31 GMT, Arno Wagner wrote:

    > Previously Charliec wrote:
    > > On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 06:15:27 -0400, Bob Willard
    > > wrote:

    > >>FWIW, I measured the read speed of my 500GB MyBook, using HDtach, at
    > >>~29 MB/s across the whole 500GB. USB 2.0 on a 3GHz P4 under XP SP3.

    > > Ok,
    > > I downloaded and ran HDtach using the "Long Bench" tests. It came
    > > back at 32.9 MB/s - so I guess it is running at USB 2.0!
    > > Thanks
    > > Charliec
    > > ************************************************** ****
    > > Charliec

    > Definitely. Also 32.9 MB/s is pretty good for en external

    Very good for USB, poor for IEEE-1394a (45 MB/s is typical)
    or eSATA (limited by disk speed, same as internal.)
    (Some SATA adaptors and drivers support removal of drives from
    a running Windows system, so it is fair to include eSATA in the
    comparison.)
    > enclosure. Maybe it is just that you had not configured
    > the other drive for fast removal. I think Windows remembers
    > these settings on a per drive basis, but I am not sure.
    >
    > Arno

  14. Re: WD MyBook Essential 320GB Speed?

    Previously Mark F wrote:
    > On 10 Sep 2008 00:23:31 GMT, Arno Wagner wrote:

    >> Previously Charliec wrote:

    >> > Ok,
    >> > I downloaded and ran HDtach using the "Long Bench" tests. It came
    >> > back at 32.9 MB/s - so I guess it is running at USB 2.0!
    >> > Thanks
    >> > Charliec
    >> > ************************************************** ****
    >> > Charliec

    >> Definitely. Also 32.9 MB/s is pretty good for en external

    > Very good for USB, poor for IEEE-1394a (45 MB/s is typical)
    > or eSATA (limited by disk speed, same as internal.)

    Yes, indeed. One reason why I have drives with USB and SATA.
    USB for convenience, and SATA when I need speed or SMART
    access.

    > (Some SATA adaptors and drivers support removal of drives from
    > a running Windows system, so it is fair to include eSATA in the
    > comparison.)

    Also works under Linux with some controllers.

    Arno

  15. Re: WD MyBook Essential 320GB Speed?

    Previously Mark F wrote:
> [...]

    > HD Tach and HD Tune also showed low speeds compared to other
    > USB 2.0/SATA disk external boxes. The numbers were about
    > 15MB/second for HD Tune 2.53 and 17MB/second for
    > HD Tach RW version 3.0.0. (I think the performance difference
    > is due to HD Tune using a smaller read block size than HD Tach.)

    > I used a (six year old) Gateway 700S 2.4 MHz, 512MB, Windows
    > XP Professional with Service Pack 2 system for all of the
    > tests and for the copy of the data files from the
    > WD My Book Essential.

    > (In my case, I suggested to the company that did the film scanning
    > that they try a Western Digital My Book Home Edition, which has
    > USB 2.0, IEEE-1394a, and eSATA if they couldn't get Studio
    > Edition's formatted for Windows instead of Mac. However the
    > company would have to weigh evaluating another disk type for their
    > use as compared what probably would only allow overnight

    Incidentially, it is not the fault of the drive. I have one of
    these too, also opened, because I run SMART selftests (long) on
    every disk periodically. Beginninf ogf the drive, it gives
    abouy 88MB/s linear performance and about 45MB/s at the end.
    However, since the enclosure is basically "free", as it costs
    about the same as the bare drive (forget about that extra disk
    memory, it costs WD nearly nothing and has almost no influence
    on disk performance, since modern OSes use far larger
    buffer/caches). I think for that the performance is reasonable.

    The disk can be used without problem on its own (at least IO
    had none), and the enclosure accepts other disks. I tried
    an old Seagate 80GB ATA with a promise ATA-SATA adapter.
    No problem at all.

    Arno

+ Reply to Thread