Help With SATA - Storage

This is a discussion on Help With SATA - Storage ; I just installed a new motherboard. To my dismay, current motherboards only come with one IDE (PATA) port, and I currently have 4 IDE drives. I'm converting my backup drive to USB using a external enclosure -- that takes care ...

  1. Help With SATA

    I just installed a new motherboard. To my dismay, current motherboards
    only come with one IDE (PATA) port, and I currently have 4 IDE drives.
    I'm converting my backup drive to USB using a external enclosure --
    that takes care of one. My DVD burner is a little long in the tooth so
    I'm considering buying a new SATA version.

    My previous motherboard supported SATA and I tried once to get one
    working and gave up -- it screwed up everything and the system thought
    it was a SCSI.

    The motherboard manual devotes between one sentence and one paragraph
    to every other feature of the board. But, it devotes 10 pages to SATA.
    Gosh, I don't want to spend two days becoming a master of these
    drives, I just want to install one. But, they must be a nightmare to
    install and get working if it takes that much explanation.

    I want to keep my two IDE drives as prime and secondary for now. Is
    there a link/webpage somewhere that explains in two hundred words or
    less what I have to do to add one SATA drive without messing up the
    other drives?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Help With SATA

    If the motherboard is set to IDE mode for SATA instead of AHCI mode then
    you can probably just hook up SATA drives and use them without any
    special drivers other than the motherboard's normal ones.

    For AHCI and RAID you have to install special drivers, and if you're
    installing a clean install of Windows on a SATA then you'd have to have
    the drivers on a floppy for Windows to absorb.

    If you're not going to be hot plugging IDE mode should be ok.

    Caveat: I'm not a total expert on that.
    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.

  3. Re: Help With SATA

    jim evans wrote:

    > I just installed a new motherboard. To my dismay, current motherboards
    > only come with one IDE (PATA) port, and I currently have 4 IDE drives.
    > I'm converting my backup drive to USB using a external enclosure --
    > that takes care of one. My DVD burner is a little long in the tooth so
    > I'm considering buying a new SATA version.

    > My previous motherboard supported SATA and I tried
    > once to get one working and gave up -- it screwed up
    > everything and the system thought it was a SCSI.

    Things have improved considerably since then.

    > The motherboard manual devotes between one sentence and one
    > paragraph to every other feature of the board. But, it devotes 10
    > pages to SATA. Gosh, I don't want to spend two days becoming
    > a master of these drives, I just want to install one. But, they must be
    > a nightmare to install and get working if it takes that much explanation.

    Not really. There is quite a bit of extra capability now.

    Quite a few motherboards have more than one sata controller and the
    bulk of them allow various raid configs and that takes some documenting.

    > I want to keep my two IDE drives as prime and secondary for now. Is there
    > a link/webpage somewhere that explains in two hundred words or less what
    > I have to do to add one SATA drive without messing up the other drives?

    Not possible given that the detail of how the motherboard implement sata varys so much.

    You could try putting the primary and secondary IDE drives on
    the only IDE controller and see if that will boot. It should do.

    Then set the sata drives to IDE compat in the bios if you can do that and the sata
    drives should show up the way you expect IDE drives to show up when you add those.

    You may have to fiddle with the boot order to boot from the primary IDE after adding sata drives.

  4. Re: Help With SATA

    On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 17:49:44 +1000, "Rod Speed"
    wrote:

    >Quite a few motherboards have more than one sata controller and the
    >bulk of them allow various raid configs and that takes some documenting.

    Yes, mine provides for several SATA drives.

    >> I want to keep my two IDE drives as prime and secondary for now. Is there
    >> a link/webpage somewhere that explains in two hundred words or less what
    >> I have to do to add one SATA drive without messing up the other drives?

    >Not possible given that the detail of how the motherboard implement sata varys so much.

    That means to me it ain't as easy as IDEs are(were?).

    >You could try putting the primary and secondary IDE drives on
    >the only IDE controller and see if that will boot. It should do.

    I'd already done that and it works fine, except the BIOS stops and
    complains about it every time I boot. It wants me to click something
    that changes the SATA drives (which I don't yet have) to something.

    >Then set the sata drives to IDE compat in the bios if you can do that and the sata
    >drives should show up the way you expect IDE drives to show up when you add those.
    >
    >You may have to fiddle with the boot order to boot from the primary IDE after adding sata drives.

    Thanks.

  5. Re: Help With SATA

    jim evans wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote

    >> Quite a few motherboards have more than one sata controller and the
    >> bulk of them allow various raid configs and that takes some documenting.

    > Yes, mine provides for several SATA drives.

    >>> I want to keep my two IDE drives as prime and secondary for now.
    >>> Is there a link/webpage somewhere that explains in two hundred
    >>> words or less what I have to do to add one SATA drive without
    >>> messing up the other drives?

    >> Not possible given that the detail of how the motherboard implement sata varys so much.

    > That means to me it ain't as easy as IDEs are(were?).

    Depends on what you want to do. Quite a few do now default to configs
    that do allow you to operate like you used to with IDE drives and you
    only need to do anything different if you want to implement a RAID config.

    >> You could try putting the primary and secondary IDE drives on
    >> the only IDE controller and see if that will boot. It should do.

    > I'd already done that and it works fine, except the BIOS stops and
    > complains about it every time I boot. It wants me to click something
    > that changes the SATA drives (which I don't yet have) to something.

    Thats likely just that IDE compat I mentioned next. If not, post
    the text of what it says and the motherboard model number.

    >> Then set the sata drives to IDE compat in the bios if you can do that and the sata
    >> drives should show up the way you expect IDE drives to show up when you add those.

    >> You may have to fiddle with the boot order to boot from the primary IDE after adding sata drives.

    > Thanks.

  6. Re: Help With SATA

    Previously jim evans wrote:
    > I just installed a new motherboard. To my dismay, current motherboards
    > only come with one IDE (PATA) port, and I currently have 4 IDE drives.
    > I'm converting my backup drive to USB using a external enclosure --
    > that takes care of one. My DVD burner is a little long in the tooth so
    > I'm considering buying a new SATA version.

    > My previous motherboard supported SATA and I tried once to get one
    > working and gave up -- it screwed up everything and the system thought
    > it was a SCSI.

    Which it is, on the command side.

    > The motherboard manual devotes between one sentence and one paragraph
    > to every other feature of the board. But, it devotes 10 pages to SATA.
    > Gosh, I don't want to spend two days becoming a master of these
    > drives, I just want to install one. But, they must be a nightmare to
    > install and get working if it takes that much explanation.

    Unles your OS is completely screwed up, it is typicallyplug and play.
    Windows may show SATA drives as removable drives. You can adjust that
    manually, if you do not want to remove them, but you do not need to.
    Linux calls dem /dev/sd indetad of /dev/hd.
    All typically not a problem.

    > I want to keep my two IDE drives as prime and secondary for now. Is
    > there a link/webpage somewhere that explains in two hundred words or
    > less what I have to do to add one SATA drive without messing up the
    > other drives?

    Tell the BIOS to boot from the first IDE drive. For that, add them
    all (pratitioning of the SATA not needed), then go into the
    BIOS configuration during bootup and set the boot drive. How
    to do that in detail depends on the BIOS but should not be hard.

    Arno

  7. Re: Help With SATA

    Wotta ****ing moron, as usual...

    "Arno ****Up" wrote in message news:6iji1mFq4jgpU5@mid.individual.net...
    > Previously jim evans wrote:
    >
    >> My previous motherboard supported SATA and I tried once to get one
    >> working and gave up -- it screwed up everything and the system thought
    >> it was a SCSI.

    > Which it is, on the command side.

  8. Re: Help With SATA

    Eric Gisin wrote:
    > Wotta ****ing moron, as usual...
    >
    > "Arno ****Up" wrote in message

    Now that doesn't help. Not all the world is tough.

    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.

  9. Re: Help With SATA

    Previously Ed Light wrote:
    > Eric Gisin wrote:
    >> Wotta ****ing moron, as usual...
    >>
    >> "Arno ****Up" wrote in message

    > Now that doesn't help. Not all the world is tough.

    The funny thing is that anybody able to read the (S)ATA
    specification will find it uses the SCSI command set
    for storage and that is the reason an SATA HDD typically
    shows up as SCSI drive, unless some translation is done.

    Quite elementary and widely known. I guess Eric is not
    well informed and in addition cannot really read. Not
    surprising.

    Arno

  10. Re: Help With SATA

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously Ed Light wrote:
    >> Eric Gisin wrote:
    >>> Wotta ****ing moron, as usual...
    >>>
    >>> "Arno ****Up" wrote in message

    >> Now that doesn't help. Not all the world is tough.

    > The funny thing is that anybody able to read the (S)ATA
    > specification will find it uses the SCSI command set for storage

    Nope.

    > and that is the reason an SATA HDD typically shows
    > up as SCSI drive, unless some translation is done.

    Wrong again. The real reason is that many bios label any biosed controller as scsi.

    > Quite elementary and widely known.

    And just plain wrong.

    > I guess Eric is not well informed and in addition cannot really read.

    You in spades.

    > Not surprising.

    With you in spades.

  11. Re: Help With SATA

    Ed Light wrote in news:48c6d726$0$9630$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com
    > Eric Gisin wrote:
    > > Wotta ****ing moron, as usual...
    > >
    > > "Arno ****Up" wrote in message

    > Now that doesn't help.

    > Not all the world is tough.

    Yup, isn't that the truth.
    Otherwise Babblebot wouldn't have a chance in hell.
    But since he is the mad one eyed king in a land full of blind and foolish .....

+ Reply to Thread